My new Dave Talsma custom Tenor

RyRod

Reaction score
I've been super excited, and envious, while reading Fu's, Nuprin's, and Jake's threads regarding their MP customs. Now I can start my own thread showing the progress of my new Dave Talsma Tenor.

I contacted Mr. Talsma about a year ago in order to get a quote for his tenor model. He got back to me with his, very reasonable, price of $950 for a standard Tenor. But why be "standard" when you're getting a custom? I told him I'd get back with him when I knew I could see the deal all the way through.

In late March I e-mailed him again and I started shooting Ideas at him and he shot some back. Once we got all the details ironed out I gave him the go-ahead. Dave told me that he was about 4 months out from starting on it.

Fast forward to now and he has all the the materials for the build and is starting on it.

Here's the details:

-Tenor 17" scale length ukulele, 14 frets to body
-Martin shape body, walnut sides/back and cedar top.
-Walnut neck (maple center), 1-1/2" nut width and thicker height.
-Talsma open headstock shape w/gold leaf Talsma logo.
-B/W/B purfling around top and soundhole.
-Maple binding on top/back, soundhole rosette and center strip down back.
-Regular size fretwire.
-White side markers.
-Pearl dove inlays in fretboard and head (I'll explain the meaning later)
-Talsma style bridge.
-Corian bone nut & saddle.
-Worth tenor strings
-Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer buffed finish.
-Ebony fretboard, head veneer and bridge
-Mi-Si rechargeable pick-up

-Open classical headstock
-GOTOH Stealth Tuners

In the end I think i'll be super happy with my ukulele

Last edited:
He sent me the first picture today.

Hi, I was going thru my stash of cedar tops for your ukulele, I found this nice one that I have had for a while, it was taken from a sunken log in the state of Washington, and its over 300 years old, just checking that you like the looks of it, its a dark color, which will look nice with the walnut

300yroldcedar.jpg

Cool ... look forward to see more pics :) Out of curiosity, how much are those specs going to cost you?

Cool ... look forward to see more pics :) Out of curiosity, how much are those specs going to cost you?

It'll cost me a little more than a Kanilea K-2 Tenor

I'm sure it will be beautiful! No radius on fretboard? That's just a person choice on my part.

I haven't gotten the chance to try out a raidus. I gave it some serious thought, but I decided to play it safe. Maybe next time if I ever get to try one out.

Sounds like she'll be a beaut! I really like the sound of cedar topped-ukes, very nice and mellow. Walnut should compliment both the sound and the looks of that darker cedar top... which, btw, is stunning!

Sounds like you've got a good one coming to you, can't wait to see more progress!

Jake

Hey Ryrod!!! It's nice to see that you will get a Talsma. I was thinking to get one from him like one year ago but he was quite busy then so for whatever reason, I just forgot to get back to him after.

He makes very nice ukes and very reasonable too!!!! From the sound samples that I heard, they sound very good!!!!

Congrats on your new custom and keep us updated!!!

I have had the chance to play several of Dave Talsma's ukuleles and they are amazing - you will be so happy with it, you will not believe it. Congratualtions and all the best.

I have a koa/spruce Talsma (#59) that was born on 3/17/2006. Dave's instruments are absolutely beautiful--light as a feather and easy as could be to play. You will love his fretboard. Tonally, the news is just as good. In fact over the past year or so this thing has shifted into a different gear, which may be due to the settling in of the spruce top. After four-and-a-half years my Talsma has matured into a stunningly fine uke. It has incredible volume, as well as truly distinctive clarity and sustain. Nothing else like it. It is my full-time F-C-E-A tuned uke, a tuning that seems very well suited to this instrument. Here is a video of the Talsma in action (there are several more on my youtube page):

http://www.youtube.com/user/ukejon#p/u/5/fR8HHWYZ_vQ

Aloha RyRod,
You lucky guy...it's old world lumber, I wish i'd have that..
Nice tight straight grain.....almost guarantee awesome sounds...
Keep us informed on the build, now you've got my attention...
MM Stan...
do you have his contact information and does he have a website???

Wow! Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. I can't wait for it to be finished.

I have a koa/spruce Talsma (#59) that was born on 3/17/2006. Dave's instruments are absolutely beautiful--light as a feather and easy as could be to play. You will love his fretboard. Tonally, the news is just as good. In fact over the past year or so this thing has shifted into a different gear, which may be due to the settling in of the spruce top. After four-and-a-half years my Talsma has matured into a stunningly fine uke. It has incredible volume, as well as truly distinctive clarity and sustain. Nothing else like it. It is my full-time F-C-E-A tuned uke, a tuning that seems very well suited to this instrument. Here is a video of the Talsma in action (there are several more on my youtube page):

Thanks for the link Jon. I've been searching for "dave talsma" ukes on youtube but I only ever found the Tulip soprano video that someone else did. Your uke sounds amazing.

Aloha RyRod,
You lucky guy...it's old world lumber, I wish i'd have that..
Nice tight straight grain.....almost guarantee awesome sounds...
Keep us informed on the build, now you've got my attention...
MM Stan...
do you have his contact information and does he have a website???

For sure, his website is http://www.davetalsma.com/index.php

He has a bunch of nice ukes up on the site.

Wow, ukejon, that Talsma sounds great! I've wondered about how a spruce topped/koa bodied tenor would sound, and you've answered that wonderfully!

RyRod, you're a lucky man! Look forward to following the progress of your uke as well.

Finally... I'm proud to present more progress.

Front: with the spalted maple rosette...
frontwg.jpg

Walnut Back with maple strip
backnp.jpg

Walnut sides
sidese.jpg

Absolutely loving that rosette!

Thanks, the rosette is really nice. It's too bad that the knot or whatever at the top will probably be covered by the fretboard.

It's your custom.... Can't you request that the bottom of the fretboard be curved to expose the entire rosette? I agree that it would be a shame to cover any of it. It is drop dead gorgeous....

Top Bottom