kanilea and side markers?

do kanilea's have side-markers?

if so, on the side of which fret?
thanks

My Kanile'a K2 tenor has them on the 3, 5, 7, 10, 12 and 15 frets. I think you can make some of them out in this photo...
attachment.php

Last edited:
My Kanileas have the same thing as WW's. I think of the Big 3, Kanilea has the classiest side markers, since they use abalone. However, my Kanilea baritone has them on 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, like a guitar. (The difference is the dot on 9 vs 10.) But basically, everywhere they have a main dot. And yes, the 12th has 2 dots.

how do you like them? the uke, not the markers

I really like the light weight of the Kanile'a, and I agree with experimentjon, the Kanile'a side markers are by far the nicest. The abalone is really beautiful. It is a very pretty uke, and easy to play, but honestly (and this is just my opinion), I prefer Kamaka and KoAloha. My Kamaka is the perfect size/fit ease of play for me, and it sounds much richer than the Kanile'a. And I think for pure sound, the KoAloha can't be beat. Don't get me wrong, Kanile'as are outstanding ukuleles, I just think that Kamakas and KoAlohas are just that little bit nicer.

wahine, are you planning to sell it? HAHAH. jokes
If it wasn't my first "real" ukulele, I would definitely sell it. I never play it. I play my Kamaka 95% of the time, and my KoAloha the other 5% (if I had a KoAloha tenor, that would probably be more like 50/50 but the PS is less versatile). I never play this uke. It just sits on the wall as a decoration (it is beautiful) and for sentimental reasons. But no, I wouldn't sell it...just because it was my first.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a Kanile'a though...they sound great, look beautiful, and Joe and Kristen Souza are wonderful people with amazing customer service! :)

Both of my Kanile'a ukuleles have side markers.

I have the three same ukes that WW has--granted that my K1T and HF3 are not nearly as nice as her's--and I'm actually the opposite way. I play my PS the most, then my Kanilea, and the Kamaka rarely gets touched. Except instead of hanging the Kamaka as a wall decoration, mine sits in it's case. (Makes dusting easier.) So it all varies. All of the Big 3 companies make fine ukuleles. But I think Kanilea easily makes the classiest fretboards.

Kanile'a does have the best side dots. My older KoAloha tenor has one abalone dot at the 7th fret, but no other side dots. Not sure what the newer ones have.

Staci, if your PS is getting neglected, wanna trade it for my freakish KoAloha tenor? ;)

Kanile'a does have the best side dots. My older KoAloha tenor has one abalone dot at the 7th fret, but no other side dots. Not sure what the newer ones have.

Staci, if your PS is getting neglected, wanna trade it for my freakish KoAloha tenor? ;)

Hey...thanks for the offer. But, sigh, after all I went through to finally decide on which PS to keep, I don't think I'm up for selling it. Plus, it is my only pineapple, and my only (kind of) concert sized uke. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Top Bottom