Building a cigar-box ukulele

Nelson-Fritata

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've decided to attempt making a cigar-box uke, and i have a couple of questions i hope you can help me with. Im thinking of getting a piece of mahogany for the neck. What other types of wood could i use? Should i have a separate fretboard and if so what material should it be? And finally, what material should i use for the nut and saddle? I really appreciate all the help i can Get!

Thanks Matt! Also, do You know a thing or two about the different sizes? I've got a box that's about 10"/8"/2". Would that be fit for a concert, tenor or both?

Thanks Matt! Also, do You know a thing or two about the different sizes? I've got a box that's about 10"/8"/2". Would that be fit for a concert, tenor or both?

On a 10" box I'd go with a concert scale with the neck attached to the body at the 14th or 15th fret. That'll keep the bridge in from the edge of the uke so it can get the top vibrating freely.

I've used oak and poplar, because they come cheap and in sizes I can work easily with with limited tools. I've never been bothered by weight, i mean, it's a little ukulele! How heavy could you make one? Anyway, so far both seem fine for my needs.

Thanks a lot guys! I've been wondering wether to make the fretboard myself, or buy one and i think buying one is the safest way to go! ;) Will post pictures when there is something to show :D

Use oak if you want ... I have on cigar box gits, basses, and mandos ( redneck uke) with no trouble.
Go to a big box home improvement store ( Lowes, Home depot) and look for the red oak boards.
A 1x2 pre-cut pre-finished board will be ideal ... just find a good straight piece with the grain running the length.
The actual size will 3/4x1.5" and will work as is ... just cut to length. Do a scarf for the peghead, attach box, there you go.

Here's mine .... Outhouse uke page

And a pic ...

Matt

Attachments

• tabacuke..jpg
    tabacuke..jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom