Lesson and A question about strings...

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
HI all,
Well I had my first lesson, and the teacher brought in this amazing uke beautiful and strung with aquila's. Well, I tried so hard not to touch that uke, however I had to see what the fuss was about, it was amazing how they sounded and felt... I enjoyed my lesson however it was far to drive so I don't know when I will go regularly. (sigh)

Anyhow, so I have a samick concert UK-50 and I would love to put these strings on it, I am certain that the occasional twangy sound that comes out would be much less with these better strings. (especially is someone that could really play it was playing it) Anyhow, there are so many types, I believe that I want tuned to the key of C, but then I see wound and other stuff. I am sure that someone here can tell me what to order.
Also, it is reasonable for me to think I can properly change my own strings?
Thanks!

Strings are the most inexpensive upgrade one can make to improve the sound of any instrument. Aquila and Worth are by far the most popular strings on UU and really become a personal preference among players. Aquila has sets with wound strings and non wound as well while Worth are fluorocarbon strings. Selecting which Worth sets to use can be just as confusing.

Aquila Nylgut Concert Uke Set Reg C Tuning GCEA
Concert Uke Set - Low G

And yes, you can change your own strings . . .

I believe your Samick is laminate, and I have found that Aquila strings seem to bring out the best in a laminate top 'ukulele. With the exception of my Flea which came (used) strung with medium low g Worth clear (that I love), all my laminate top 'ukuleles wear Aquila strings which were a great improvement over the GHS that came with them. I don't know where you are located but here in the US I buy all my Aquila strings from this seller at great savings: http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-CONCERT-UKULELE-STRINGS-/390228256462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 and I highly recommend them.

Does he only have concert strings Ahnko Honu???and the price is the cheapest I've seen.....by far...
Mahalo Much...MM Stan..

Last edited:
Top Bottom