Mighty Uke Roadshow to attempt an ukulele strum-along record in San Francisco

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
The documentary "Mighty Uke: The Amazing Story of a Musical Underdog" will be playing at the Castro Theater in San Francisco on Sunday September 26. In addition, there'll be a concert by Uni and Her Ukulele and Ukulele Dick and "an attempt to establish a Guinness record-breaking giant ukulele strum-along." Tickets are $12. For those who don't know it, the Castro is a wonderful old single-screen theater. I saw the film at Mike DaSilva's studio in Berkeley earlier this year. It's a really good movie. (The only thing that bugged me was that it blamed The Beatles (among others) for the ukulele's loss of popularity in the 60s, even though George Harrison, Paul McCartney and John Lennon were all ukulele players. I did get the point, though, which is that The Beatles made everyone want to learn to play electric guitars.) Anyway, I'm hoping to go to this event with an ukulele and I thought other uke players in and around the Bay Area might be interested.

For more information:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MIGHTY-UKE-Movie/108811379136621

For tickets: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=3081155

Last edited:
Wish I could go.
I saw the movie this spring and loved it!
I wear my "Mighty Uke" t-shirt to any ukulele social event!

This is going to be an amazing event. If you are part of an ukulele group, consider bringing a sign to identify your "delegation." The current world record for largest ukulele strum along is 901 and is held by the brits. The Castro Theatre holds 1400. The theatre is located at 429 Castro Street and the event starts at 3:00 p.m. If you live near Santa Cruz, there is a possibility some folks will be chartering a bus up to San Francisco. Let me know if you'd like to be part of it. Send me a message here. Bring your ukes and be part of music history!

Oooooh! I'm in! I <3 Uni anyway and I've been dying to see the doc.

Anyone know what song we're all going to be strumming? We should get a line on that. I know, I know, they'll teach us there, but hey... maybe I wanna sound good. ;)

I thought I'd bump this up for the benefit of Bay Area ukers who might be interested. The event is in nine days.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be coming up from San Diego for this-- any ukers meeting up Saturday evening or before the show on Sunday? Send me a message, I'd love to join up w/ you guys. Cheers!

Top Bottom