Doh!

redheadedali

Reaction score
So I managed to leave my Fluke in the car for, um, a while in the absolute hottest part of the summer (100+ degrees) - go, me! Has anyone had anything like this happen before? The strings are obviously shot, but everything else looks OK. Is it likely that it will still play decently once I put new strings on it? Or should I just go into mourning now?

Ouch, ouch, ouch! How long was the uke in the car? Was the uke in direct sunlight, or just subject to the extreme heat?

First, examine the bridge... is there any movement or does it seem loose? Does the wood top appear okay, that is, no curve across the top? If there are no visible issues with the bridge or top, then the uke might be fine.

Secondly, restring the uke and check the intonation (open, 5th fret, 12 fret) to see if there was any warp damage to the neck. However I don't think Flukes have any truss bar inside the neck to make neck adjustments. Hopefully the intonation and neck are okay.

I'm sending warm thoughts, good vibes and prayers your way that the Fluke is still good and playable. :)

Last edited:
That was an ouch for me as well. But I'd totally recommend following the 2nd post's tips. And I know this is a complete opposite scenario but I remember reading one member's account of leaving his fluke overnight in his car in about negative degree weather, and it came out alright! Point I'm trying to make is that Flukes are tough!

My cherished fluke has survived my numerous abuses and surely yours will pull through as well! :D

Definitely check out the parts that telebob recommended. Let us know how it is. Assuming the wood didn't crack/warp, it might be okay.

I keep my Makala dolphin in the car, and it's survived below-freezing and over-100 temperatures with no real issues. :eek:

With a stable laminate top, and minimum of wood to wood joins (bridge only) I would just put new strings, play it, and be happy.

I'm sending warm thoughts, good vibes and prayers your way that the Fluke is still good and playable. :)

From everything I've heard Flukes are tough. It's probably okay, and I'm sending coooooool thoughts your way. :cool:

I did this myself last year with a flea. It semed like the action raised,, but in a couple days settled down. I dont know if thats possible ,, but thats what it seemed like. Yeah Texas heat & humidity aint much fun this time of year
Steve

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. The bridge and top both seem stable and undamaged, so I'm feeling a little more reassured. It'll be a couple of days before I can get some new strings, but I'll report back then.

Good luck. Hope your uke has survived undamaged.

Perhaps it'd be best not to do it again... ;)

If the bridge is fine, I imagine the rest is. Those things are practically indestructible.

The strings are probably not shot, just out of tune. And the tuner screws might need to be tightened or loosened. Unless you see actual damage to the fretboard, I think you're probably fine.

Reason number 63 to own a Fluke.

Most other ukuleles, you'd have your shovel out now and be saying an epitaph.

OK, for various reasons, it took me a while to get the new strings for my Fluke (stupid life getting in the way of my ukeing!), but I put them on today and tightened the tuning pegs, and aside from normal settling in, everything sounds fine. Phew. Thanks for keeping me from despairing, all :).

Good thing that wasn't a "K" uke. If it was, you'd probably would have been waddling like a duck the moment you encountered anything weird. Count your blessings. If that was my Martin guitar, I know trouble would have been had.

--Dave E.

Top Bottom