koaloha longneck pineapple vs standard koaloha pineapple?

I don't think it would be too noticeable. The biggest advantage to the longneck pineapple is more frets; KoAloha only uses 12 frets on their soprano-scale ukes.

Concert style string tension will change the tone a bit. Brighter, less strummy/washy.

This would be a great place for someone who has a soprano and a longneck soprano (pineapple or not, but preferably same make and style) to post a comparison video. Anyone up to it?

I love my longneck soprano. I haven't compared to a koaloha standard soprano but to me it definitely has a unique personality. The extra tension on the strings make it sound and feel crisp like a soprano in D-tuning. I'd be happy to do a video to showcase the sound.

Hello everyone,

Almost all of our instruments have long scales, including our soprano body. If you use the same strings you use for a standard soprano in C, chances are the higher tension on the long scale will dampen the response somewhat.

We set up with our Light Gauge strings for C tuning on our soprano - strings that would normally give a nice tension in D on a standard scale. What you end up with on a long scale with this set up is a C tuning that has more of the bright character of a D standard sound and less of the sometimes boomy low end of a standard C tuned standard soprano.

Plus, as mentioned earlier - more room on your fretboard. What more could you ask for?

I have the concert and the long neck soprano. I did a comparison vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKBo-cP7reU
and a plainly long neck soprano here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwpv9f2QEOM&feature=related

I had actually already watched those vids of yours a while back. A great comparison. The only problem with it is that you distract us with the scepter, dang you! I'm actually considering getting a KoAloha longneck soprano but just can't decide if I want a classic shape or pineapple (or maybe a concert, or a pineapple sunday, or maybe something else).

I had actually already watched those vids of yours a while back. A great comparison. The only problem with it is that you distract us with the scepter, dang you! I'm actually considering getting a KoAloha longneck soprano but just can't decide if I want a classic shape or pineapple (or maybe a concert, or a pineapple sunday, or maybe something else).

I hardly play my sceptre. I need to get the action lowered on it. That long neck soprano is sweet. I love it dearly.

Top Bottom