PDA

View Full Version : I just did a BAD thing...

Chris Tarman
08-23-2010, 01:10 PM
But I'm actually rather pleased with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBaylSAPl.dll?ViewItem&item=120612351189

bt93
08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
looks like an awesome uke. do you want to sell that baritone yet lol?;);):iwant:

Skitzic
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Congrats! Good score!

Chris Tarman
08-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe... when my wife finds out about this one! I'll let you know.

Skitzic
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM

...I hope you left some cash for flowers.

Chris Tarman
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Actually, what did cause me to pull the trigger was the "Bill Me Later" feature. I am pretty sure I can come up with the money within 6 months, lol. I have wanted a Style 1 for a long time, and in fact, I NEARLY bought one instead of my Style 2. I am kind of a Tortoise Shell junky. Almost all of my basses have Tortoise Shell pickguards, which is funny since I HATED it when I first started playing bass. Some of my bandmates have even said things like "That new Toyota is nice, but couldn't you get it with a Tortoise Shell pickguard?".

Hippie Dribble
08-23-2010, 01:46 PM
...I hope you left some cash for flowers.

ha...and a lawyer!!!!

beautiful looking uke mate. I'm a bit of a toroise shell junky too. Your last comment reminds me of an Aussie band I virtually worshipped through the 90's called Smudge. When I finally got married and we had our first child, friends were genuinely miffed we didn't call the baby "Smudge" as well. (we settled on Jemimah)

telebob
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Congrats.... a nice well-cared for Martin uke... VeRy CooL! Enjoy.... :)

mm stan
08-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Aloha Chris,
Whoa that came outta left field eh!!!I had a style O in that refinished condition with no cracks....
paid 4 presidents for that one and sold it for the same..How does it sound???I threw some
martin flurocarbons on the one I had and it sang...what do you have on yours......wonder if
you have more ukes than guitars and bass now???HMMM...My guess, did the style 3 fall through..
Maybe you can tell the wife it is a birthday present type excuse...he he....then you wouldn't lose
some pipes..Well enjoy and give us the 411 on your new baby..."Keep strumming them strings"
MM Stan...

RyanMFT
08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Enjoy that beautiful uke!

Chris Tarman
08-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Aloha Chris,
Whoa that came outta left field eh!!!I had a style O in that refinished condition with no cracks....
paid 4 presidents for that one and sold it for the same..How does it sound???I threw some
martin flurocarbons on the one I had and it sang...what do you have on yours......wonder if
you have more ukes than guitars and bass now???HMMM...My guess, did the style 3 fall through..
Maybe you can tell the wife it is a birthday present type excuse...he he....then you wouldn't lose
some pipes..Well enjoy and give us the 411 on your new baby..."Keep strumming them strings"
MM Stan...

MM Stan,
I just bought it today, so it will be a few days before it arrives. I'm not sure what it is strung with, but I also ordered a set of the Martin Fluorocarbons to put on it (eventually at least, unless I don't like whatever it's strung with now, in which case they'll go right on it). I have Aquilas on my other vintage Martin, but thought this would be a good chance to try something new. I mean, we can't have both Martins sounding the same, can we?
And yes, I have more ukes than basses. I currently have 8 basses (but have had as many as 10 at the same time), and only one guitar (which never really gets played and could actually be sold without too much regret). This will make 14 ukes.
And no, the deal on the Style 3 hasn't OFFICIALLY fallen through. My acquaintance that owns it isn't sure he wants to sell it, but a mutual friend told me I should try asking him again in a month or two. At least I know that one isn't going anywhere. He assured me that if he DID decide to sell it, he'd give me first shot at it. He said he had no interest in selling it on eBay or to a dealer. So maybe after I have absorbed the cost of this one.... lol. Then I'll just need a Style 0, which won't be hard to come by. I suppose I can put all thoughts of a Style 5 RIGHT OUT of my head.

cletus
08-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Beautiful uke and nice score! Hoping the Style 3 eventually finds its way to you...

Congrats.

Ahnko Honu
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
You're telling a bunch of enablers that your buying a vintage Martin 'ukulele is a bad thing? If you didn't THAT would be a BAD thing. ;)

TCK
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Doesn't look (or sound) like a bad thing to me at all- congrats

itsme
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Will you be sleeping on the couch tonight? :p

Chris Tarman
08-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Will you be sleeping on the couch tonight? :p

No. Not until it gets here!

luvdat
08-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Good luck with all...variables...

beergeek
08-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Well, I can take that one off my watch list ;) Seriously, congrats.....nice uke!

Nelson-Fritata
08-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Congrats! Thats a very nice uke!

cletus
08-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Good luck with all...variables...

(Sigh), that's what she said.

jehicks87
08-24-2010, 04:34 AM
very cool. I never was a big fan of sopranos until I saw the video "Flanning Family Jam" by another UUer, now I find myself contemplating one in the future... I think the martins are top-notch as well! So, jealousy is an emotion I am feeling right now.

I tease, but for real nice find! Let us know how she is when you get her!

Jake

Chris Tarman
08-24-2010, 01:16 PM
It's not here YET, but unbelievably is scheduled for delivery TOMORROW! I will be at work, but I went by the UPS place a few minutes ago to arrange to pick it up there, since it requires a signature. That has the extra benefit of my wife not seeing it. Bad, I know...

Skitzic
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
It's not here YET, but unbelievably is scheduled for delivery TOMORROW! I will be at work, but I went by the UPS place a few minutes ago to arrange to pick it up there, since it requires a signature. That has the extra benefit of my wife not seeing it. Bad, I know...

If you hide it, she'll be even more pissed. :p

Chris Tarman
08-24-2010, 06:20 PM
If you hide it, she'll be even more pissed. :p

I know... I know...

Skitzic
08-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Good luck dude!

Think of it this way...you may have to sleep on the couch a few days, but that Martin is going to be with you those cold nights.

Chris Tarman
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
It's here! I'm not sure what strings are on it, but so far it isn't staying in tune very well (just normal string-stretching), but it sure is a beauty! I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

mailman
08-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Chris, I understand your tortoise shell attraction. While most folks who have more than one vintage Martin would collect a style 0, a style 1, a style 2, etc., I would collect only style 1's....a soprano, a concert, a tenor and a baritone....each with that sexy tortoise binding.

If I had those four ukes, I would never need another....

Chris Tarman
08-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Here are a few pictures of the new Style 1, along with my Style 2. They're both sopranos, although in at least one picture the Style 1 looks larger. Just the angle...
The Style 1 is in lots better shape than the 2, but doesn't sound as good (at least with its current strings). It sounds really nice, just not as good as the 2.

mm stan
08-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Here are a few pictures of the new Style 1, along with my Style 2. They're both sopranos, although in at least one picture the Style 1 looks larger. Just the angle...
The Style 1 is in lots better shape than the 2, but doesn't sound as good (at least with its current strings). It sounds really nice, just not as good as the 2.

Aloha Chris,
Maybe the strings need to break in...on the style 1....Did the wife see it yet???HMMM I just saw the amount of posts you have...is that coincidence..911????
Thanks for sharing....have fun with the new one....MM Stan....

Chris Tarman
08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
The Martin Fluorocarbons I ordered arrived today. I have a busy weekend, but I'll try to get them on sometime soon. I've heard good things about them, but the only uke I have them on (so far) is an old '20s thing with peg tuners, and one has a broken "paddle", so it's difficult to tune and doesn't get played much.

Chris Tarman
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Here's some solo pictures of the Style 1 I bought last month.1615616157161581615916160

armytrucker77
09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
I understand the wife thing...I bought this one and she was upset http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360300376735&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

mailman
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Here's some solo pictures of the Style 1 I bought last month.1615616157161581615916160

Very, very nice, Chris! Has the Mrs. forgiven you yet?

Chris Tarman
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Very, very nice, Chris! Has the Mrs. forgiven you yet?

Ummmmmmmm.... no comment. Actually, I must confess. I've played it in front of her, and she apparently can't tell one uke from the other. Money for my various collections and hobbies comes from my "allowance", as well as money I make from bass gigs. She has the same arrangement for her "treat money", as we call it. So, what she doesn't know won't hurt me! I know, I know.....