Anyone have the Kala Flame Mahogany Concert KA-CEM?

Clobbersaurus

Reaction score
Thinking about picking this one up as my first uke, and I found one in a store, but I didn't like the front of it. It felt very thin. Anyone have this model and can tell me if I am imagining it or if it really is thin? Thanks!

I owned one briefly a few months back, but returned it to the store because it had some intonation issues. The same store has a tenor model in stock now that I've played a couple times and it's very nice. I didn't notice the top being too thin on either.

Thanks for the reply.

The top seemed okay, but the front around the hole seemed very thin to me.

Trust yourself on this one. On this particular Kala offering QC really varies...made a point of trying them esp. when it seemed they were in every Sam Ash in Northern NJ...with a clip on tuner...look through soundholes, etc...and immediately noted: the highly variable appearance where "blotchy" is sold as "exotic."

Thin top? Cheap around the soundholes, my impression.

For a concert and first uke with overall better QC in my experience I would go Makala MK-C. The build on these agathist bargains makes them not only resonant but more solid sounding...

I have the soprano version and love it. The top is pretty thin, but that makes for good resonance. It's a laminate top, which is quite durable. I'm thinking that they feather the edge of the sound hole to make the laminations less visible. Great,beautiful uke for the money.

I got the tenor version and I think it is a pretty good ukulele. It looks nice and the sound is quite loud. Doesn't cost much either.

Trust yourself on this one. On this particular Kala offering QC really varies...made a point of trying them esp. when it seemed they were in every Sam Ash in Northern NJ...with a clip on tuner...look through soundholes, etc...and immediately noted: the highly variable appearance where "blotchy" is sold as "exotic."

Thin top? Cheap around the soundholes, my impression.

For a concert and first uke with overall better QC in my experience I would go Makala MK-C. The build on these agathist bargains makes them not only resonant but more solid sounding...

I actually found it at Ritchie's Music. I went to the Sam Ash in Paramus and their selection was meh.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am debating whether to purchase something better for around $300, or just go for a "beater" for around $150. I'm having such a hard time when all I want to do is learn to play! hahahaa

I actually found it at Ritchie's Music. I went to the Sam Ash in Paramus and their selection was meh.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am debating whether to purchase something better for around $300, or just go for a "beater" for around $150. I'm having such a hard time when all I want to do is learn to play! hahahaa

Consider a Mainland Concert plus a Makala concert for a beater.

Consider a Mainland Concert plus a Makala concert for a beater.

MGM doesn't have any Mainlands liststed. I was hoping to buy one from him since I hear nothing but good things.

Also, the Mainlands seem a little pricey as opposed to some of the Kala's if I am going to call something a "beater".

I am debating whether to purchase something better for around $300, or just go for a "beater" for around $150.

If you can afford to spend the $$$, you'll not regret it. Otherwise, you'll probably want an upgrade to the "beater" as soon as you start learning to play even a little bit.

If you can afford to spend the $$$, you'll not regret it. Otherwise, you'll probably want an upgrade to the "beater" as soon as you start learning to play even a little bit.

I think I am afraid to spend $300 on something that I would be learning on, know what I mean?

I've had the KA-CEM since Christmas. It's been my first uke. The intonation on mine is excellent. It sounds nice to my ears. I'm looking to upgrade, but also to switch to a Soprano (then pick up a Tenor). I've played the Soprano version and thought it sounded nice, too. Not particularly loud compared to other ukes I've played, though. It's a solid mid-range uke.

Cosmetically, the "flame" is a little blotchy and too flashy for my tastes. The neck looks (and plays) good (well). The only thing it's missing is side dots for a lefty player like me. ;)

Hi I have the Kala CEM no worries with it so far. Excellent depth of sound, very punchy when playing loud and a delicate clarity when playing soft.
I fitted a low G string which has given the CEM extra bass works well, especially if you playing with other low Gstring uke's. The look of the CEM is excellent stands out from the crowd.

Remember you can always pay more (like buying a car) whatever budget you are working on, you always look at the one costing a few dollars more :)

Best advice is to try different Ukes at your local dealer, ask their advice (they want your repeat business) no one uke suits everybody.

Regards
Mike

Thanks for the replies.

Since I don't know how to play even a single note yet, it is hard to decide on a uke. I've been to a few places and held different models, but don't know about resonance, punchiness, etc., since I don't know how to play. I don't know what to look for other than something that looks nice. Different people have different ideas about different models, so it is so hard to me to figure out what to get.

MGM doesn't have any Mainlands liststed. I was hoping to buy one from him since I hear nothing but good things.

Also, the Mainlands seem a little pricey as opposed to some of the Kala's if I am going to call something a "beater".

Did not suggest the Mainland as a beater.

The Makala concert is a beater that a lot of ukers love!!! Just get an inexpensive one at this point and start playing. Check some of Molokinrum's posts on the Makala MK-C. If you want to spendsome more get the Exotic Mahog concert.

Last edited:
Top Bottom