Another Hack Build

BobN

Reaction score
piulele? panjolele? pieulele?

I like pie.

I used a pie pan from the dollar store for a body. Bolt through neck. The threaded rod nuts can be adjusted to change the tension on the pan. The neck is butternut. The bridge and fingerboards are walnut and the tieblock is butternut. The back is masonite with velcro strips to hold it on. I also added a soundpost stuffed between the rod and the pan. The sound was too harsh without the soundpost.

If you look at the fretboard, you can see where I screwed up and cut the fretslot for the 14th fret on the wrong side of the line.

A straight-sided cake pan would be easier to use, but I like the looks of the pie pan.

When I get a chance I'll record the sound.

Looks neat. I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like.

I like it - looks like it's non-stick too! :)
Actually not non-stick. It is just a cheap grey (mill finish?) thin steel pan. It would be cool to paint a picture on.

Crazy! Let me tell you, the straight sided cake pans do work nicely! I'll have to post some pics of the ukes I've been building using cake pans for bodies!

Post those pictures. How do you chose the right cake pan? Have you tried aluminum?

Here is a sound sample of it's plunky sound:
http://www.archive.org/details/DontLetThatDealGodown

"Post those pictures. How do you chose the right cake pan? Have you tried aluminum?"

Aluminum is the best stuff ever! I've made lots of instruments over the years (ukes and frets being the new step for me) with all kinds of pots and pans, gas cans, charcoal grills, you name it, and aluminum has proven itself time and time again as the most kickin' material in my opinion.
guitar strings sound really cool on it.

Awesome! I like how it sounds.

Top Bottom