Lu-11 strings?

Nfaxmachine

Reaction score
I recently came across a Soprano Lu-11 and it has Aquila strings. I'm trying to learn on it and it just doesn't sound the same as other Ukus. I'll watch videos and strum the same chord and mine just sounds horrible. Should I just buy new strings? I used an application called Audio Tuner on my PC to tune the Uku, is that the problem?

Much thanks.

Welcome to UU!! First thing I would do is change the strings (least cost) A new set is around $5. Next get yourself a clip on tuner because after you change the strings the new ones will take a couple of weeks to stretch out and you will be retuning constantly. I belive a decent clip on tuner will cost around $15 - $20 dollars. You probably will spend around $25 and your uke will sound brand new!!

I forgot to ask, is the uke old? Or how old is the uke and or the strings?

Have to ask the obvious . . . is it tuned GCEA?

Aloha Nfaxmachine,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the Ukulele...congrats on the new Soprano purchase..
To you question, you've had some good advice here...Just wondering if you bought it new...if
so ...then your strings need to be broken in(streched)Aquilla's take some time, and it may not
how many days, but how much you play....to quicken the process, tune your uke then bend
your string one by one from side to side three or four times then retune...repeat three or more
times as needed.......hope it helps...Good Luck!!! let us know if you still have the problem...

Wow such a nice community. Unique for an online community haha. Thank you guys for all of your input. The Uku is new, I used Audio Tuner and it has a Uku setting to set the pitch by. I just got it as close as I could to the designated pitch. Any specific strings I should buy?

The uke and the strings are new? If so, get yourself a clip on tuner, makes life much easier. Again if uke and strings are new and the strings are aquila strings, they might still be stretching out and if that is the case, you will be retuning your uke many times. Takes maybe 2 weeks to be done. Are the strings white in color? If so then they are aquila strings and I believe that aquila strings are probably the best for that type (laminate) uke.

My strings are black. I haven't seen them in any videos or anything. I always see white strings. Also yes, the Uku is completely new.

Then the strings are probably GHS strings......no good!!!!! You really should replace them with aquila strings. You will be amazed at the difference in sound plus playability!

Yep, sounds like the dreaded GHS strings. Get a set of aquila strings and put them on and then the fun will really begin!!

Thank you guys so much. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. You guys have been a tremendous help.

Top Bottom