PDA

View Full Version : KoAloha crown bridge (why?)

misterpk
08-24-2010, 01:40 PM
A lot of people on the forums like the older KoAloha's with the crown bridge. My tenor has the newer bowtie bridge. I'm curious why people like them. Is it just a cosmetic issue? Does it somehow affect the sound? Did KoAloha do something differently in the bracing on these models?

Just curious. :)

Skitzic
08-24-2010, 02:07 PM
It's a prettiness thing. Crown bridges are prettier than bow tie.

Kanaka916
08-24-2010, 02:17 PM
It was just unique to KoAloha . . .

wickedwahine11
08-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I can't help it...I just don't like the looks of the bowtie bridge. It looks boring, and too bubble like to me (just IMHO). The crown bridge was so unique, and it was a great capper to the headstock. I am probably alone in this, but to be honest, as much as I would like to have a KoAloha tenor, I would only buy an old one with the crown bridge on it. But no, there is no sound difference, it is just a style difference. And I fully admit, there are probably a ton of people out there who don't care for the "pointy" crown bridge, and like the more simple bowtie style.

misterpk
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Ahh! Thanks for answering my question! My friend has one with the crown bridge and it's quite a looker. I couldn't notice any significant difference in the sound so I was wondering if I was just missing something. :)

I just found one on Ebay if anyone is interested. http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-KOALOHA-Koa-Tenor-Ukulele-/190434739731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_923

pithaya9
08-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I can't help it...I just don't like the looks of the bowtie bridge. It looks boring, and too bubble like to me (just IMHO). The crown bridge was so unique, and it was a great capper to the headstock. I am probably alone in this, but to be honest, as much as I would like to have a KoAloha tenor, I would only buy an old one with the crown bridge on it. But no, there is no sound difference, it is just a style difference. And I fully admit, there are probably a ton of people out there who don't care for the "pointy" crown bridge, and like the more simple bowtie style.

I'm with you O'Wicked One, got to have the style.

telebob
08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
As noted, the crown bridge provided a beautiful symmetry to the overall looks of the uke. I wish my Koaloha Concert Sceptre had the crown bridge, (just think how CooL it would look with the matching crown curves on the bottom) but I'm very happy with my wonderful Sceptre uke anyway. :)

Keef
08-24-2010, 03:11 PM
When I bought mine I called koaloha and talked with papa
he said the crown bridge was more labor intensive to make
then he asked if I was a collector because the early ones with the crowned bridge will probably be worth more
Recently I noticed that the new sceptre ebony has a crowned bridge but I also hear it costs a lot more so perhaps maybe the crown will be reserved for special models
On a side note it wouldn't be hard to make your own crown and glue it on .... It all depends on your wants and values

Uncle-Taco
08-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I canceled an order when I found out about the new bridge. That crown bridge is the sine qua non of KoAloha tenors as far as I'm concerned and I rate its discontinuation a disaster right up there with New Coke.
:wtf:
I get how the new bridge is less labor intensive, I do. But then so is a bald head, a bubba gut, a huge butt, bad skin, an unkempt yard, an unruly dog, idiot kids, and a piece of junk car, and I don't want a girlfriend with any of those either.:uhoh:

haole
08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder why they didn't stick with a more subdued crown bridge. My 2002 KoAloha tenor has a pin bridge that's much simpler than the big pointy crown that everyone knows:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/brushfirefairytale/IMG_1345.jpg

haolejohn
08-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I prefer the crown bridge as well. I want to get a tenor one day but unless it is a crown bridge, I won't get it. I remember reading here or maybe from talking with KoAloha that the crown bridge was more difficult to make and i believe the bow-tie bridge actually offers more support.

I'm glad my sceptre has the crown bridge. I think I am going to see if I can get SpecialMike to trade his koaloha for my kamaka at the next SEUkers uke2gether:)

MeanGreenUker
08-24-2010, 04:51 PM
I prefer the crown bridge as well. I want to get a tenor one day but unless it is a crown bridge, I won't get it. I remember reading here or maybe from talking with KoAloha that the crown bridge was more difficult to make and i believe the bow-tie bridge actually offers more support.

I'm glad my sceptre has the crown bridge. I think I am going to see if I can get SpecialMike to trade his koaloha for my kamaka at the next SEUkers uke2gether:)

Thats what i was told. I was in the market for the superconcert and contacted Koaloha. They replied saying that the crown bridge was difficult to produce and that the bowtie was the only thing available. I asked for maybe custom, and they replied saying that Papa Koaloha was semi-retired so its unlikely.

haolejohn
08-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Thats what i was told. I was in the market for the superconcert and contacted Koaloha. They replied saying that the crown bridge was difficult to produce and that the bowtie was the only thing available. I asked for maybe custom, and they replied saying that Papa Koaloha was semi-retired so its unlikely.

Yep. I was told same when I asked about getting it made with one. brian did tell me to just be patient and look for used one. I love thoise guys at KoAloha.

Ahnko Honu
08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Because Batman Rules! (Papa KoAloha's secret indentity) ;)

http://www.walyou.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/batman-toys-batman-batarang.jpg

Lori
08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I actually like a plain bridge on a KoAloha, especially if it has a crown head, and a crown fingerboard. I felt that adding a crown bridge was just too much pointy stuff in one small space. I don't like the bowtie as much as a plain rectangular bridge. That's just me. I will get a KoAloha someday...
–Lori

jordan bello
08-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I actually like a plain bridge on a KoAloha, especially if it has a crown head, and a crown fingerboard. I felt that adding a crown bridge was just too much pointy stuff in one small space. I don't like the bowtie as much as a plain rectangular bridge. That's just me. I will get a KoAloha someday...
–Lori

I agree with Lori. I have a superconcert with a bowtie bridge. Ideally, I would rather have a rectangle bridge. But I prefer the bowtie to the the crown bridge.

Brad Bordessa
08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
I wonder why they didn't stick with a more subdued crown bridge. My 2002 KoAloha tenor has a pin bridge that's much simpler than the big pointy crown that everyone knows:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/brushfirefairytale/IMG_1345.jpg

I like that a lot. It looks way better than the normal crown bridges IMO.

What I heard about the crowns was that they would pull off the body easier than the normal bridges. I haven't even seen the bowtie ones. Are thye like HOJ's custom 'ukulele? Ether way, you are getting a great instrument. Again, in my opinion, it's not how it looks, but how it sounds.

beergeek
08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
If the bowtie offers better stability, then that's a build decision that supports their warranty. Less warranty claims. Personally, I love the look of the crown bridge and the crown fretboard.

None of my KoAlohas have either but they sound so fabulous, I don't care ;)

heyjude
08-24-2010, 11:30 PM
I prefer the bow tie bridge and straight end fingerboard. I wish I had them on all of my KoAlohas, smaller scale of course on the concert and sopranos.

Jude

Keef
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I don't think they ever put the crowned fingerboard on the tenor

dkcrown
08-25-2010, 01:32 AM
I am lucky enough to have both a tenor and a concert sceptre with the crown bridge. To my eye they add a distinctive flair to both ukes as well as being a "signature" of KoAloha. As Hippie Guy said before, I also heard that one of the reasons that they stopped making them was because of the problem of them lifting off the body.

Dibblet
08-25-2010, 02:03 AM
I am lucky enough to have both a tenor and a concert sceptre with the crown bridge. To my eye they add a distinctive flair to both ukes as well as being a "signature" of KoAloha. As Hippie Guy said before, I also heard that one of the reasons that they stopped making them was because of the problem of them lifting off the body.

I doubt that very much. Underneath that little bit of zebrawood there are 2 screws. I did the tour of the factory and was told so.

http://www.koaloha.com/KoAloha_Products/TenorStd.html

jordan bello
08-25-2010, 04:38 AM
I like that a lot. It looks way better than the normal crown bridges IMO.

What I heard about the crowns was that they would pull off the body easier than the normal bridges. I haven't even seen the bowtie ones. Are thye like HOJ's custom 'ukulele? Ether way, you are getting a great instrument. Again, in my opinion, it's not how it looks, but how it sounds.

I would love the older crown bridge (more subdued with bridge pins) on my KoAloha. I find the more recent crown bridges to be too pointy.

I also remember posts regarding bridge separation on the newer crown bridges. But it is covered by their warranty and I think they give you the option of having it repaired or trading you for a replacement.

But as Hippie Guy said, it is about the sound and KoAlohas (regardless of crown bridge v. bow tie bridge or embossed v. laser etched) have that in spades.

dkcrown
08-25-2010, 04:52 AM
I doubt that very much. Underneath that little bit of zebrawood there are 2 screws. I did the tour of the factory and was told so.

http://www.koaloha.com/KoAloha_Products/TenorStd.html

There have been a couple of posts on this site, complete with pictures, that have mentioned the points of the crown bridge lifting. Not the entire bridge. If my memory serves me correct, I believe that Martin-lil had two tenor sceptres where the points were lifting. KoAloha provided replacements. There isn't a better company out there to deal with when it comes to customer service. Not too long ago there was a crown bridge tenor listed on ebay, that MGM had originally sold with a repaired crown bridge, that I believe another one of our members purchased. The points had been re-glued.

BadLands Bart
08-25-2010, 05:00 AM

I do not own a KoAloha ....yet, but I agree with the wicked one, that bowtie bridge is too vanilla for my tastes as well.

misterpk
08-25-2010, 05:05 AM
I had no idea that the bridge of a uke had so much influence about whether to buy it or not. I'm quite amazed. :)

Regardless of the bridge types my KoAlohas sound so good is play them with any kind of bridge. Heck I'd even crazy glue then to the soundboard if it sounded this good and didn't damage the wood! :P

Kamaka Rocka
08-27-2010, 10:11 AM
There is a crown-bridge Koaloha Tenor on the way to me right now (Ebay). I like the looks of the crown, and if it is anything like my Koaloha Concert, it should sound awesome.

ukecantdothat
08-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Not that I'll ever be able to afford one anyway, but I do have 2 cents to offer. I find the crown to be a bit much visually, and also excessively wide. And since I do a lot of muting with my palm there, I'm not real big on bridge pins, and the points could be irritating as well. Buts that's just me, and I speak as someone who's never been in the same room with one, let alone play one!