KoAloha crown bridge (why?)

misterpk

UU+
Reaction score
A lot of people on the forums like the older KoAloha's with the crown bridge. My tenor has the newer bowtie bridge. I'm curious why people like them. Is it just a cosmetic issue? Does it somehow affect the sound? Did KoAloha do something differently in the bracing on these models?

Just curious. :)

It's a prettiness thing. Crown bridges are prettier than bow tie.

It was just unique to KoAloha . . .

Yeah, I can't help it...I just don't like the looks of the bowtie bridge. It looks boring, and too bubble like to me (just IMHO). The crown bridge was so unique, and it was a great capper to the headstock. I am probably alone in this, but to be honest, as much as I would like to have a KoAloha tenor, I would only buy an old one with the crown bridge on it. But no, there is no sound difference, it is just a style difference. And I fully admit, there are probably a ton of people out there who don't care for the "pointy" crown bridge, and like the more simple bowtie style.

Yeah, I can't help it...I just don't like the looks of the bowtie bridge. It looks boring, and too bubble like to me (just IMHO). The crown bridge was so unique, and it was a great capper to the headstock. I am probably alone in this, but to be honest, as much as I would like to have a KoAloha tenor, I would only buy an old one with the crown bridge on it. But no, there is no sound difference, it is just a style difference. And I fully admit, there are probably a ton of people out there who don't care for the "pointy" crown bridge, and like the more simple bowtie style.

I'm with you O'Wicked One, got to have the style.

As noted, the crown bridge provided a beautiful symmetry to the overall looks of the uke. I wish my Koaloha Concert Sceptre had the crown bridge, (just think how CooL it would look with the matching crown curves on the bottom) but I'm very happy with my wonderful Sceptre uke anyway. :)

When I bought mine I called koaloha and talked with papa
he said the crown bridge was more labor intensive to make
then he asked if I was a collector because the early ones with the crowned bridge will probably be worth more
Recently I noticed that the new sceptre ebony has a crowned bridge but I also hear it costs a lot more so perhaps maybe the crown will be reserved for special models
On a side note it wouldn't be hard to make your own crown and glue it on .... It all depends on your wants and values

I canceled an order when I found out about the new bridge. That crown bridge is the sine qua non of KoAloha tenors as far as I'm concerned and I rate its discontinuation a disaster right up there with New Coke.
:wtf:
I get how the new bridge is less labor intensive, I do. But then so is a bald head, a bubba gut, a huge butt, bad skin, an unkempt yard, an unruly dog, idiot kids, and a piece of junk car, and I don't want a girlfriend with any of those either.:uhoh:

I wonder why they didn't stick with a more subdued crown bridge. My 2002 KoAloha tenor has a pin bridge that's much simpler than the big pointy crown that everyone knows:

IMG_1345.jpg

I prefer the crown bridge as well. I want to get a tenor one day but unless it is a crown bridge, I won't get it. I remember reading here or maybe from talking with KoAloha that the crown bridge was more difficult to make and i believe the bow-tie bridge actually offers more support.

I'm glad my sceptre has the crown bridge. I think I am going to see if I can get SpecialMike to trade his koaloha for my kamaka at the next SEUkers uke2gether:)

I prefer the crown bridge as well. I want to get a tenor one day but unless it is a crown bridge, I won't get it. I remember reading here or maybe from talking with KoAloha that the crown bridge was more difficult to make and i believe the bow-tie bridge actually offers more support.

I'm glad my sceptre has the crown bridge. I think I am going to see if I can get SpecialMike to trade his koaloha for my kamaka at the next SEUkers uke2gether:)

Thats what i was told. I was in the market for the superconcert and contacted Koaloha. They replied saying that the crown bridge was difficult to produce and that the bowtie was the only thing available. I asked for maybe custom, and they replied saying that Papa Koaloha was semi-retired so its unlikely.

Thats what i was told. I was in the market for the superconcert and contacted Koaloha. They replied saying that the crown bridge was difficult to produce and that the bowtie was the only thing available. I asked for maybe custom, and they replied saying that Papa Koaloha was semi-retired so its unlikely.

Yep. I was told same when I asked about getting it made with one. brian did tell me to just be patient and look for used one. I love thoise guys at KoAloha.

Because Batman Rules! (Papa KoAloha's secret indentity) ;)

batman-toys-batman-batarang.jpg

I actually like a plain bridge on a KoAloha, especially if it has a crown head, and a crown fingerboard. I felt that adding a crown bridge was just too much pointy stuff in one small space. I don't like the bowtie as much as a plain rectangular bridge. That's just me. I will get a KoAloha someday...
koaloha-ukulele.jpg
–Lori

I actually like a plain bridge on a KoAloha, especially if it has a crown head, and a crown fingerboard. I felt that adding a crown bridge was just too much pointy stuff in one small space. I don't like the bowtie as much as a plain rectangular bridge. That's just me. I will get a KoAloha someday...
View attachment 15560
–Lori

I agree with Lori. I have a superconcert with a bowtie bridge. Ideally, I would rather have a rectangle bridge. But I prefer the bowtie to the the crown bridge.

I wonder why they didn't stick with a more subdued crown bridge. My 2002 KoAloha tenor has a pin bridge that's much simpler than the big pointy crown that everyone knows:

IMG_1345.jpg

I like that a lot. It looks way better than the normal crown bridges IMO.

What I heard about the crowns was that they would pull off the body easier than the normal bridges. I haven't even seen the bowtie ones. Are thye like HOJ's custom 'ukulele? Ether way, you are getting a great instrument. Again, in my opinion, it's not how it looks, but how it sounds.

If the bowtie offers better stability, then that's a build decision that supports their warranty. Less warranty claims. Personally, I love the look of the crown bridge and the crown fretboard.

None of my KoAlohas have either but they sound so fabulous, I don't care ;)

I prefer the bow tie bridge and straight end fingerboard. I wish I had them on all of my KoAlohas, smaller scale of course on the concert and sopranos.

Jude

Top Bottom