Ukes 4 Kids?

NewbieUkie

Reaction score
Another Thought!

EDIT: For those that haven't been following the thread, a few of our members here are thinking about starting up an awesome project. You can read about how this idea came about in the thread below:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38352

Original post following.
Seeso.

How about a program called "Ukes 4 Kids"??

If you don't want to donate money, do you have a starter uke to give to a needy music student??

I'll bet MANY of us do!!

I'll donate one....just let me know where to send it!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a program called "Ukes 4 Kids"??

If you don't want to donate money, do you have a starter uke to give to a needy music student??

I'll bet MANY of us do!!

I'll donate one....just let me know where to send it!

Wow.

Money received and I'm packing the ukes up today. This has been an incredible experience to behold.

And may I add to the thoughts above that a ukulele donation "center" is a great idea! I've given away 2 old but playable ukuleles - one to a teacher who is now using it in her class, and one to a young girl who watches me play uke every Sunday at church. When our adoption process has concluded, I intend to give away more. Because IT FEELS GOOD TO GIVE!

I would be happy to volunteer any time, work, services, whatever to the UU site to help start and maintain an "Ukulele-In-Need" program to 1) Get free ukes to those whose lives would benefit from them and 2) allot donated funds to purchase quality low-cost ukes for distribution.

UU can change the world, can't it?

I have an ukulele I can donate to this awesome project!

However, my organizational skills are horrible. Someone else will have to head up the project. Any takers? :D

I have an ukulele I can donate to this awesome project!

However, my organizational skills are horrible. Someone else will have to head up the project. Any takers? :D

I'm in the same boat! Willing to give, but can't keep my own thoughts in order, let alone a project like this!!

Come on guys...someone take charge!!

i do have the organizational skills, however it is just depending on time. once i am fully moved into my new place and have started my new job next week, things should hopefully level out...

so if we still need someone in a week or so, i'd definitely help.
but, i wouldn't want to be in on it alone.
we need a team!

I'll be part of the team. It's part of "UKISOCIETY"s mission to distribute ukuleles to those who want them. It was created to benefit Indiana and Kentucky, but doing some international work will help me learn how to do it locally.

The needs of "Ukes 4 Kids" will include:
1) ukulele donations
2) funds to fix old ukes (including new strings and set up)
3) funds for shipping (boxes, bubble wrap and postage)

I have found many great old ukuleles on Ebay and purchased them for $20-$30 bucks. Should there be a fund for that, or should all instruments be donated?

In order to help a lot of kids, I think we need to think bigger. Buying off ebay, as we all know, can be tricky, plus you're paying for shipping twice - once to you and then again to the child. Maybe Kala can step up and help sponsor this (psst Kala, product loyalty) The Makala sopranos are in the same price range (retail) and they are decent ukuleles. If they are shipped from the factory or in bulk, costs can be kept down.

I like the way you think, Deach.

Are we going to do this on a larger scale, or are we staying small?

If we want to help the most kids, we need to go big. That will require many things, but first and foremost, we would need to get a 501c3 and become an official non-profit organization.

The reasons for this are myriad. Legitimacy is important. Donations are tax-deductible. It will force us to establish a program and mission and vision statement.

I vote for big.

If we want to help the most kids, we need to go big. That will require many things, but first and foremost, we would need to get a 501c3 and become an official non-profit organization.

The reasons for this are myriad. Legitimacy is important. Donations are tax-deductible. It will force us to establish a program and mission and vision statement.

I vote for big.

I vote big too. I think this is exactly what this post was talking about...

You know....this idea really isn't new. There are a ton of organizations that do this with band/orchestral instruments. If we decide to go forward and form an org that specializes in helping kids who want to play the ukulele, we should really pattern the organization like some of the larger, proven orgs. for instance - http://www.mhopus.org/index.asp

Some thoughts:

Don't forget the other stuff besides the instrument. There's also tuning equipment -- be it pitch pipes, or inexpensive chromatic tuners -- strings, teaching / learning materials, and probably other things that I'm not thinking of.

Ukulele in the Classroom is probably worth keeping in mind once things get organized.

One way to organize things might be to adopt the Child's Play model of donations. In their case, individuals could purchase things off Amazon.com wish lists of participating hospitals and the items purchased got shipped directly.

Teaming up with an ukulele retailer might make this possible, and solves the "other stuff besides ukes" thing I mentioned in the second paragraph.

I'm game, i could most likely raise money though my school. (when it starts next year) other then that i dont have a much to give. also i have tip money from my job. The only thing is, is that we would have to be an official org before either my parents/school lets me raise/give money.

Last edited:
ukes for kids already exists

I am not sure how they operate, and how far reaching they are, but the amazing ukulele club of Santa Cruz already has such a program--started in 2004. Here is the URL: http://www.ukefestwest.com/kids.html (sorry, I don't know how to make an active link)
I could see myself expanding what I am doing in LA. The support I received here so quickly-- blew me away!
There is also an organization that lets you choose a classroom teacher and fulfill wishes they have for their class. I originally wanted to get my first class set of ukes this way, but until this year they didn't have instruments on their wishlist. (I was able to talk my principal into buying them for me before the latest CA education budget crisis.) Now, I know that they have ukes and more, and that there are teachers hoping to get instruments that way.
As a teacher of 9-10 year olds, I was glad to have my class all having the same instruments so there was no fighting over who got what. I got all Mahalos, all black.
As for donating used instruments, I think that is a great idea. The help I just got from everyone on UU, will put a nicer instrument into the hands of a kid who is already showing promise and dedication to learning how to play.
There is also a group taking donated ukes for troops. This is here in S. CA
here is the URL: http://ukesfortroops.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

I will continue doing some research, and certainly will keep in touch with this amazing group on UU. As I said, I will certainly post a pic if not a vid of the kids of mine Ukisociety, Deach, and Newbieukie have already helped out.
Mahalo!!!
Bill (Misteruke)

I vote for big.

I'll volunteer to help in any way I can. Before I saw this post and Deach's post and Alan's proposal, I had spent several hours away from the computer thinking about an ukulele give-away program and some of the start-up work that would need to be accomplished.

I think that all of Seeso's points are well taken and that we need to consider and build upon his outline. Since Alan's new U4K group is bound to grow, we probably won't go lacking for volunteers to help.

I propose that everyone contribute their input, ideas, suggestions, etc. The U4K group could form several committees, one of which could hash out details back and forth and come up with a mission statement, another one of which could look into applying for 501c3 status. We'd need an audit committee. We'd need a selection committee whose job would be to study requests or applications and then select the individual or organization to whom donations of money or instruments would be made.

Under the supervision, guidance, and limited access of an audit committee, donations could be made directly to a U4K PayPal account and funds could be maintained there instead of in a bank account, which potentially could generate monthly service fees.

Donations of used instruments can present many problems, but they're not insurmountable if we have enough volunteers willing to help. Here are some problems I foresee.

Would we have one central location to which instruments would be shipped? If enough instruments are donated, we could end up with a storage problem. What if a donated instrument is in need of repair before giving it to a donee? I'm sure we'd have a few volunteer luthiers willing to donate their services, but then shipping an instrument to them involves more shipping costs. And then after repairing, they'd turn around and ship it back, or forward it on to the donee. Another shipping cost.

Volunteers would have to juggle and coordinate logistics and many other details. Lots of communication back and forth will be involved. Before I read Deach's and Seeso's respective posts and learned of Alan's U4K group, I was thinking on the order of the very small and planning things in my mind on a scale I could work with, and I was going to step up to the plate and volunteer to coordinate a program and follow through on the work. But after reading these recent posts, I have to agree that we could operate a program on a large scale. Nothing wrong with thinking big. I think that today we've seen a generated interest that will only grow in scope and volunteerism.

Future food for thought. There's an ukulele renaissance growing around the world. Ukulele festivals are becoming very popular and well-attended. If we were to become a nonprofit organization, we could sponsor/organize regional ukulele festivals around the country as a fund-raiser and use the proceeds/profits to underwrite ukulele donations for an Ukulele For Kids program. Besides charging admission to a festival for seminars, workshops, classes, and concerts, we could sell UU T-shirts and novelty items. Like I said, future food for thought. And thinking big.

I had numerous other thoughts I was mulling over, and I just now read some additional posts submitted while I was writing this dissertation and they address other ideas and comments I had, so I won't go into them. I like Deach's comment about the Mr. Holland's Opus model. I've got to end this at some point, so I'll end with this:

Regarding today's instant case, I would like to see Bill (misteruke) provide all of his students with good ukuleles. Can we make that happen? Can we make it an impromptu project? He states that his students are pretty poor, and I don't know how many there are (Bill, if you see this, can you give us a number?), but can we get enough UU members to donate just a little and make it happen for these kids? Like right now? An immediate, enthusiastic response from the membership would serve as a good barometer of whether or not a future Kids program is even possible and doable, a good barometer of membership interest in a donation project.

Can we just kick ass and get 'er done?

Last edited:
KamakaTexas - Excellent post!!!!!

Here's an idea about donated ukuleles in need of repair - auction them off.

As far as storage - if can get sponsorship/partnership deal with an existing vendor or manufacturer, that problem might be solved.

KamakaTexas - Excellent post!!!!!

Here's an idea about donated ukuleles in need of repair - auction them off.

As far as storage - if can get sponsorship/partnership deal with an existing vendor or manufacturer, that problem might be solved.

I love auctions, and that's a great idea!

In my initial planning (when I was still thinking small) I envisioned contacting music shops in areas near a potential donee site and negotiating deals on discounts for multiple purchases. A sponsorship with a vendor is an even better idea.

One great thing about ukuleles is they don't take up a lot of space. You can easily hide 8 sopranos under a couch from your wife, I mean, storing ukuleles is a lot easier than storing tubas or bass drums.

Alright, these are my thoughts. I have read others' valued contributions to this thread, and will address them after I get this stuff out of my head. I don't want to forget anything. You guys kick ass. :D

The money for 501c3 status should be no problem. I can get the money for that pretty quickly.

The obstacles that face us concerning acquiring 501c3 status are not funding-related. To even be considered for non-profit 501c3 status, we need:

1. A Mission and Vision statement.

I have no problem with writing this, but I need help and input from all interested volunteers.

2. At least 3 board members.

These positions are at least:

Chair
    Vice-Chair
    Treasurer

3. A bank account.

Somewhere to hold the donations and grants is essential.

This is entirely do-able. We should have nominations and a voting procedure. We can do this online. All interested parties please make yourselves known.

Okay, now that that's out of the way... Here are my program-related thoughts:

Our main goal - We sponsor 2 ukulele teachers per year. These teachers will be selected via a contest. Essays, videos, photos, etc. all could be part of this contest.

Ukes 4 Kids will supply the winners with:

1. A low-cost ukulele and pitch pipe for each kid that takes the class. Up to 25 kids, but no less than 10. I'd like the ukes to sell for less than $10. Fleas are my top choice. They are consistent, durable and fun. Ideally, we would buy them at cost from a sponsor (like Flea) and pay for shipping.

2. $50 per class. I'm thinking that 12 classes once a week over the summer sounds good.

3. Teaching materials. I think we should create our own books.

4. A rented space at the local park district building or other viable institution. In Chicago, these rooms rent for $30 an hour.

5. The joy of spreading ukuleles. :D

Now, other stuff to get out of my brain:

1. We recruit YouTube Ukes 4 Kids Evangelists. Aldrine, me, Julia Nunes, Sweet Afton, Dustin, etc. These evangelists will make at least one video per year talking about Ukes 4 Kids, mentioning the sponsors, and soliciting tax-deductible donations.

These kids need to see how cool the uke can be. We are just the people to do that. If we get enough evangelists, we can reach upwards of 30,000 - 40,000 people instantly.

2. Establish a donor incentive program.

Example:
    • $20 gets you a U4K sticker and button.

• $50 gets you a U4K sticker, button, and CD.

• $100 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, and t-shirt.

• $250 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, and a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors.

• $500 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, and a personalized video song request from a YouTube U4K evangelist.

• $1000 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, and a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes you helped make possible.

• A donation of $2500 or more gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes, plus a plane ticket for you and a friend to see the final class of the program.

I think that's all the ideas I had. I'm sure more will come.

I think we can do this for about $10,000 per year. Entirely do-able. That's nothing, really.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
One great thing about ukuleles is they don't take up a lot of space. You can easily hide 8 sopranos under a couch from your wife, I mean, storing ukuleles is a lot easier than storing tubas or bass drums.

Hiding them under a couch doesn't work if all you've got is one of those pull-out sofa beds.

As Simon and Garfunkel once sang, "Oh, my Grace, I've got no hiding place."

Top Bottom