PDA

View Full Version : Ukes 4 Kids?

NewbieUkie
06-15-2008, 09:34 AM
EDIT: For those that haven't been following the thread, a few of our members here are thinking about starting up an awesome project. You can read about how this idea came about in the thread below:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38352

Original post following.
Seeso.

How about a program called "Ukes 4 Kids"??

If you don't want to donate money, do you have a starter uke to give to a needy music student??

I'll bet MANY of us do!!

I'll donate one....just let me know where to send it!

UKISOCIETY
06-15-2008, 10:09 AM
How about a program called "Ukes 4 Kids"??

If you don't want to donate money, do you have a starter uke to give to a needy music student??

I'll bet MANY of us do!!

I'll donate one....just let me know where to send it!

Wow.

Money received and I'm packing the ukes up today. This has been an incredible experience to behold.

And may I add to the thoughts above that a ukulele donation "center" is a great idea! I've given away 2 old but playable ukuleles - one to a teacher who is now using it in her class, and one to a young girl who watches me play uke every Sunday at church. When our adoption process has concluded, I intend to give away more. Because IT FEELS GOOD TO GIVE!

I would be happy to volunteer any time, work, services, whatever to the UU site to help start and maintain an "Ukulele-In-Need" program to 1) Get free ukes to those whose lives would benefit from them and 2) allot donated funds to purchase quality low-cost ukes for distribution.

UU can change the world, can't it?

seeso
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM
I have an ukulele I can donate to this awesome project!

However, my organizational skills are horrible. Someone else will have to head up the project. Any takers? :D

NewbieUkie
06-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I have an ukulele I can donate to this awesome project!

However, my organizational skills are horrible. Someone else will have to head up the project. Any takers? :D

I'm in the same boat! Willing to give, but can't keep my own thoughts in order, let alone a project like this!!

Come on guys...someone take charge!!

lovemissheather
06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
i do have the organizational skills, however it is just depending on time. once i am fully moved into my new place and have started my new job next week, things should hopefully level out...

so if we still need someone in a week or so, i'd definitely help.
but, i wouldn't want to be in on it alone.
we need a team!

UKISOCIETY
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll be part of the team. It's part of "UKISOCIETY"s mission to distribute ukuleles to those who want them. It was created to benefit Indiana and Kentucky, but doing some international work will help me learn how to do it locally.

The needs of "Ukes 4 Kids" will include:
1) ukulele donations
2) funds to fix old ukes (including new strings and set up)
3) funds for shipping (boxes, bubble wrap and postage)

I have found many great old ukuleles on Ebay and purchased them for $20-$30 bucks. Should there be a fund for that, or should all instruments be donated?

UKISOCIETY
06-15-2008, 02:28 PM
I started a "Ukes 4 Kids" group on UU:

Here it is. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=8)

deach
06-15-2008, 02:36 PM
In order to help a lot of kids, I think we need to think bigger. Buying off ebay, as we all know, can be tricky, plus you're paying for shipping twice - once to you and then again to the child. Maybe Kala can step up and help sponsor this (psst Kala, product loyalty) The Makala sopranos are in the same price range (retail) and they are decent ukuleles. If they are shipped from the factory or in bulk, costs can be kept down.

seeso
06-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I like the way you think, Deach.

Are we going to do this on a larger scale, or are we staying small?

If we want to help the most kids, we need to go big. That will require many things, but first and foremost, we would need to get a 501c3 and become an official non-profit organization.

The reasons for this are myriad. Legitimacy is important. Donations are tax-deductible. It will force us to establish a program and mission and vision statement.

I vote for big.

UkuleleHill
06-15-2008, 05:18 PM

If we want to help the most kids, we need to go big. That will require many things, but first and foremost, we would need to get a 501c3 and become an official non-profit organization.

The reasons for this are myriad. Legitimacy is important. Donations are tax-deductible. It will force us to establish a program and mission and vision statement.

I vote for big.

I vote big too. I think this is exactly what this post (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2303) was talking about...

deach
06-15-2008, 05:30 PM
You know....this idea really isn't new. There are a ton of organizations that do this with band/orchestral instruments. If we decide to go forward and form an org that specializes in helping kids who want to play the ukulele, we should really pattern the organization like some of the larger, proven orgs. for instance - http://www.mhopus.org/index.asp

andrew
06-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Some thoughts:

Don't forget the other stuff besides the instrument. There's also tuning equipment -- be it pitch pipes, or inexpensive chromatic tuners -- strings, teaching / learning materials, and probably other things that I'm not thinking of.

Ukulele in the Classroom (http://www.ukuleleintheclassroom.com/) is probably worth keeping in mind once things get organized.

One way to organize things might be to adopt the Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/) model of donations. In their case, individuals could purchase things off Amazon.com wish lists of participating hospitals and the items purchased got shipped directly.

Teaming up with an ukulele retailer might make this possible, and solves the "other stuff besides ukes" thing I mentioned in the second paragraph.

h-drix
06-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm game, i could most likely raise money though my school. (when it starts next year) other then that i dont have a much to give. also i have tip money from my job. The only thing is, is that we would have to be an official org before either my parents/school lets me raise/give money.

misteruke
06-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I am not sure how they operate, and how far reaching they are, but the amazing ukulele club of Santa Cruz already has such a program--started in 2004. Here is the URL: http://www.ukefestwest.com/kids.html (sorry, I don't know how to make an active link)
I could see myself expanding what I am doing in LA. The support I received here so quickly-- blew me away!
There is also an organization that lets you choose a classroom teacher and fulfill wishes they have for their class. I originally wanted to get my first class set of ukes this way, but until this year they didn't have instruments on their wishlist. (I was able to talk my principal into buying them for me before the latest CA education budget crisis.) Now, I know that they have ukes and more, and that there are teachers hoping to get instruments that way.
As a teacher of 9-10 year olds, I was glad to have my class all having the same instruments so there was no fighting over who got what. I got all Mahalos, all black.
As for donating used instruments, I think that is a great idea. The help I just got from everyone on UU, will put a nicer instrument into the hands of a kid who is already showing promise and dedication to learning how to play.
There is also a group taking donated ukes for troops. This is here in S. CA
here is the URL: http://ukesfortroops.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

I will continue doing some research, and certainly will keep in touch with this amazing group on UU. As I said, I will certainly post a pic if not a vid of the kids of mine Ukisociety, Deach, and Newbieukie have already helped out.
Mahalo!!!
Bill (Misteruke)

KamakaTexas
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM

I vote for big.

I'll volunteer to help in any way I can. Before I saw this post and Deach's post and Alan's proposal, I had spent several hours away from the computer thinking about an ukulele give-away program and some of the start-up work that would need to be accomplished.

I think that all of Seeso's points are well taken and that we need to consider and build upon his outline. Since Alan's new U4K group is bound to grow, we probably won't go lacking for volunteers to help.

I propose that everyone contribute their input, ideas, suggestions, etc. The U4K group could form several committees, one of which could hash out details back and forth and come up with a mission statement, another one of which could look into applying for 501c3 status. We'd need an audit committee. We'd need a selection committee whose job would be to study requests or applications and then select the individual or organization to whom donations of money or instruments would be made.

Under the supervision, guidance, and limited access of an audit committee, donations could be made directly to a U4K PayPal account and funds could be maintained there instead of in a bank account, which potentially could generate monthly service fees.

Donations of used instruments can present many problems, but they're not insurmountable if we have enough volunteers willing to help. Here are some problems I foresee.

Would we have one central location to which instruments would be shipped? If enough instruments are donated, we could end up with a storage problem. What if a donated instrument is in need of repair before giving it to a donee? I'm sure we'd have a few volunteer luthiers willing to donate their services, but then shipping an instrument to them involves more shipping costs. And then after repairing, they'd turn around and ship it back, or forward it on to the donee. Another shipping cost.

Volunteers would have to juggle and coordinate logistics and many other details. Lots of communication back and forth will be involved. Before I read Deach's and Seeso's respective posts and learned of Alan's U4K group, I was thinking on the order of the very small and planning things in my mind on a scale I could work with, and I was going to step up to the plate and volunteer to coordinate a program and follow through on the work. But after reading these recent posts, I have to agree that we could operate a program on a large scale. Nothing wrong with thinking big. I think that today we've seen a generated interest that will only grow in scope and volunteerism.

Future food for thought. There's an ukulele renaissance growing around the world. Ukulele festivals are becoming very popular and well-attended. If we were to become a nonprofit organization, we could sponsor/organize regional ukulele festivals around the country as a fund-raiser and use the proceeds/profits to underwrite ukulele donations for an Ukulele For Kids program. Besides charging admission to a festival for seminars, workshops, classes, and concerts, we could sell UU T-shirts and novelty items. Like I said, future food for thought. And thinking big.

I had numerous other thoughts I was mulling over, and I just now read some additional posts submitted while I was writing this dissertation and they address other ideas and comments I had, so I won't go into them. I like Deach's comment about the Mr. Holland's Opus model. I've got to end this at some point, so I'll end with this:

Regarding today's instant case, I would like to see Bill (misteruke) provide all of his students with good ukuleles. Can we make that happen? Can we make it an impromptu project? He states that his students are pretty poor, and I don't know how many there are (Bill, if you see this, can you give us a number?), but can we get enough UU members to donate just a little and make it happen for these kids? Like right now? An immediate, enthusiastic response from the membership would serve as a good barometer of whether or not a future Kids program is even possible and doable, a good barometer of membership interest in a donation project.

Can we just kick ass and get 'er done?

deach
06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
KamakaTexas - Excellent post!!!!!

Here's an idea about donated ukuleles in need of repair - auction them off.

As far as storage - if can get sponsorship/partnership deal with an existing vendor or manufacturer, that problem might be solved.

KamakaTexas
06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
KamakaTexas - Excellent post!!!!!

Here's an idea about donated ukuleles in need of repair - auction them off.

As far as storage - if can get sponsorship/partnership deal with an existing vendor or manufacturer, that problem might be solved.

I love auctions, and that's a great idea!

In my initial planning (when I was still thinking small) I envisioned contacting music shops in areas near a potential donee site and negotiating deals on discounts for multiple purchases. A sponsorship with a vendor is an even better idea.

deach
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
One great thing about ukuleles is they don't take up a lot of space. You can easily hide 8 sopranos under a couch from your wife, I mean, storing ukuleles is a lot easier than storing tubas or bass drums.

seeso
06-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Alright, these are my thoughts. I have read others' valued contributions to this thread, and will address them after I get this stuff out of my head. I don't want to forget anything. You guys kick ass. :D

The money for 501c3 status should be no problem. I can get the money for that pretty quickly.

The obstacles that face us concerning acquiring 501c3 status are not funding-related. To even be considered for non-profit 501c3 status, we need:

A Mission and Vision statement.

I have no problem with writing this, but I need help and input from all interested volunteers.

At least 3 board members.

These positions are at least:

Chair
Vice-Chair
Treasurer

A bank account.

Somewhere to hold the donations and grants is essential.

This is entirely do-able. We should have nominations and a voting procedure. We can do this online. All interested parties please make yourselves known.

Okay, now that that's out of the way... Here are my program-related thoughts:

Our main goal - We sponsor 2 ukulele teachers per year. These teachers will be selected via a contest. Essays, videos, photos, etc. all could be part of this contest.

Ukes 4 Kids will supply the winners with:

A low-cost ukulele and pitch pipe for each kid that takes the class. Up to 25 kids, but no less than 10. I'd like the ukes to sell for less than $10. Fleas are my top choice. They are consistent, durable and fun. Ideally, we would buy them at cost from a sponsor (like Flea) and pay for shipping.

$50 per class. I'm thinking that 12 classes once a week over the summer sounds good.

Teaching materials. I think we should create our own books.

A rented space at the local park district building or other viable institution. In Chicago, these rooms rent for $30 an hour.

The joy of spreading ukuleles. :D

Now, other stuff to get out of my brain:

We recruit YouTube Ukes 4 Kids Evangelists. Aldrine, me, Julia Nunes, Sweet Afton, Dustin, etc. These evangelists will make at least one video per year talking about Ukes 4 Kids, mentioning the sponsors, and soliciting tax-deductible donations.

These kids need to see how cool the uke can be. We are just the people to do that. If we get enough evangelists, we can reach upwards of 30,000 - 40,000 people instantly.

Establish a donor incentive program.

Example:

$20 gets you a U4K sticker and button.

$50 gets you a U4K sticker, button, and CD.

$100 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, and t-shirt.

$250 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, and a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors.

$500 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, and a personalized video song request from a YouTube U4K evangelist.

$1000 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, and a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes you helped make possible.

A donation of $2500 or more gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes, plus a plane ticket for you and a friend to see the final class of the program.

I think that's all the ideas I had. I'm sure more will come.

I think we can do this for about $10,000 per year. Entirely do-able. That's nothing, really.

Thoughts?

KamakaTexas
06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
One great thing about ukuleles is they don't take up a lot of space. You can easily hide 8 sopranos under a couch from your wife, I mean, storing ukuleles is a lot easier than storing tubas or bass drums.

Hiding them under a couch doesn't work if all you've got is one of those pull-out sofa beds.

As Simon and Garfunkel once sang, "Oh, my Grace, I've got no hiding place."

misteruke
06-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Regarding today's instant case, I would like to see Bill (misteruke) provide all of his students with good ukuleles. Can we make that happen? Can we make it an impromptu project? He states that his students are pretty poor, and I don't know how many there are (Bill, if you see this, can you give us a number?), but can we get enough UU members to donate just a little and make it happen for these kids? Like right now? An immediate, enthusiastic reponse from the membership would serve as a good barometer of whether or not a future Kids program is even possible and doable, a good barometer of membership interest in a donation project.

This is an easy one. Although I use the ukuleles with my whole class, I really only have eleven (11) dedicated "uke club" members that come in on their recess to practice and learn new stuff. With the three that UKISOCIETY is sending and the Roy Smeck I already gave to one student, and the one student who's dad bought him a nice uke on Sat. that only leaves 6 kids in my group uke-less. So if anyone is up to it, send the ukes directly to the school. (I think it might make the value of the instrument tax deductabe?)

Mr. William Hochhaus (Misteruke)
Ramona Elementary
1133 N. Mariposa
Los Angeles, CA 90029

If any ukes don't make it before the last day of school, I will deliver them myself to the kids at home. If more than 6 ukes show up at my school, I will save the rest for next years dedicated students. The class set of Mahalos has a few gig bags on their last legs, so if someone had an old soprano gig bag that they wanted to donate it would certainly be appreciated too.

Whatever you do--If you donate an instrument, enclose an address if you could, as I would want the students to write personal thank-you letters.
Deech, NewbieUkie, UKISOCIETY, if you want to PM me with an address, I would love to have a student write to you too.

Thanks for all the interest in my fledgling ukulele teaching in Los Angeles.
Mahalo,
Bill

deach
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Until this big project gets established, I think it would be great for people help out Misteruke's kids.

Here is a good uke for a good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-sparkle-black-SOPRANO-UKULELE-aquilas-HEAR-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ230261041037QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1622 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

UkuleleHill
06-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I posted this in the Ukes 4 Kids group but I figured I would post it here too...

This is an idea I had for a logo (this is just a rough rendering of what I am thinking...)

http://i29.tinypic.com/23ll3jb.jpg

I just had this idea in my head and had to get it down so I thought I would share...

EDIT:

I made another... Here it is... Once again rough ideas...

http://i29.tinypic.com/6p242e.jpg

deach
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Hiding them under a couch doesn't work if all you've got is one of those pull-out sofa beds.

Time to get a different couch!:D

UKISOCIETY
06-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Here's some info on how to establish a 501 c (3):
http://www.ncstac.org/content/materials/501c3.pdf

Among other things, we are required to create a board of directors. I guess we need some volunteers for that. The person who is the primary "go to" person for this project must be on the board, as should the keeper of the funds (financial officer).
There can be as many board members as we wish, but I recommend keeping it to a few UU members who will be responsible enough to stay dedicated to the mission and vision statements (which are yet to be determined). Most boards have a time limit for board members. I recommend a 3 year term limit, although the board may want to vote on keeping a valuable board member if they're willing to stay on.

Idea for Mission Statement:

To provide instruments, equipment and resources to individuals and organizations who are providing musical instruction and performing opportunities for at risk children.

(I'm not sure about the "at-risk" part. But a better phase is eluding me.)

As for the vision statement, I'll think about it. But I've got to get to work.:eek:

NewbieUkie
06-16-2008, 02:02 AM
Entirely do-able.

Thoughts?

Those last couple words....."entirely do-able", really SAY IT ALL.

Seeso, you have obviously already put a LOT of time, work, and concern into thinking through a fantastic base plan for who we want to be, where we want to go, and what we want to do.

"DO".

Yes, I agree, with all my heart!

It IS do-able!

We have taken, (because of your obvious business acumen and aggressive posture on what started out as a warm and fuzzy thought but is quickly evolving to a serious commitment to help a great many kids and their families), the first, incredibly important steps towards building a future of music, and all the joy that comes with it, for a new generation of children, and possibly more important than anything else, that gift of music for a segment of our children that may have never gotten it without this effort!

(GOD, that was what my teachers used to call a “run-on sentence”!)

I run my own residential rental investment company. It is not a large firm, just enough to take care of my family, which was a deliberate goal I set after leaving behind an executive position in the corporate world about 20 years ago.

I mention this because while I no longer have the stamina to run what is sure to be a hugely successful charitable organization if your thoughts are molded into reality, I still have the ability to do what I always did best…to know a GREAT idea when I see one, and to know a dedicated individual or group when I see one…..the essential component to bringing a wonderful idea to LIFE!

There is no doubt in my mind that this group has what it takes to take a “do-able” plan and actually DO IT!

I have read and re-read the posts here, and the thoughts in your outline, and feel that they can be quickly tweaked (and maybe only mildly at that), and successfully rolled out on a large enough scale and quickly enough to help hundreds of kids before the next school year begins!

To accomplish that we will all have to pitch in.
Some of us, like me, may be unable to help in any other way than a few suggestions about how to tweak the plan, or an addendum to the process of getting all this done, along with as much and as often financial contributions as I can make, which may be small as an individual, but as I said much earlier in these posts, once matched by other dedicated members, will quickly grow to truly effective proportions, capable of successfully getting these kids what they’ll need to fulfill their dreams! (And ours!)

Others, like you, will have the ability to do so much more!

Your ability to organize our collective brain, and finances, and seek out and elect or appoint the right board of assistants to manage the many functions necessary to coordinate an operation like this, will be instrumental in making this awesome concept into a reality!

As one of the members pointed out, there are other groups doing similar things, and have worked through the many obstacles they encountered when starting out, so we should be mindful of our opportunity to model our organization after those other similar efforts that have been successful, taking the best of all of them and using that to our advantage, so that we can get this off the ground and running at full speed as quickly as possible.

I love the idea of possibly donating by both writing a check, and/or even an instrument, new or old.
I don’t think we should let the extra steps of repairing or the shipping hassles of getting a uke into the system stop us! That may be the best a member can do, and I for one think we (and the kids) need all the help we can get! We can work out the logistics of how to send them, where to send them, and what to do with them, whether it’s selling them to fund the operation or making them student-ready and getting them right into the hands of the kids (Let’s not forget that’s how all this started out!!!)

I also really like your ideas of stimulating contributions and know from experience that making others feel that they are both a part of the decision making process and also recognizing them for their hard work and contributions is essential to keep the work and money coming in.

I don’t remember if this was mentioned, but you may also want to consider in addition to the recognition for making one time contributions on an ascending scale, perhaps creating a “subscription” method for making financial donations. While it may be hard for many of us to make a $100 donation, for example, I’ll bet most of us would be willing to donate $10 per month, every month, and that turns into a hundred dollars quickly, and many, many hundreds of dollars over the span of years and accumulation of members that this forum will continue to generate in the future! The same recognition system could apply to subscription members, with a new “reward” given as each milestone is reached during the course of their “subscription”, giving those members something to look forward to, motivating everyone to keep on giving to achieve that next level of recognition!

Let’s face it….we all like knowing we’ve done something good, right??

For my part, I pledge to keep on making donations as long as I am able to do so…this is such a worthwhile cause, where we can REALLY make a difference in a child’s life!

I hope you all agree!

Seeso, I’d like to be one of the first, but I am certain one of the many people to thank you for taking a “nice idea” and already taking steps to make that idea into a functioning reality that will benefit so many….you (and so many of the other members who are stepping right to the plate here, of course!) are truly a remarkable guy!

Sincerely,
Richard

SailQwest
06-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Wow! Look what happens when I'm on charter and out of touch for a few days! This is an amazing idea!!!

UKISOCIETY
06-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Here are some ideas our graphics team came up with...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3083/2583709649_2b314e3eef.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2583709555_032b31920c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3053/2583709463_bac170e8bf.jpg

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM

I vote for big.

Ditto! let's do this!

NewbieUkie
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Ditto! let's do this!

I'm with you Heather....the members who are thinking BIG on this are taking this idea through the roof, and it will be THRILLING to see so many more kids benefit as a result, won't it?

UkuleleHill
06-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Here are some ideas our graphics team came up with...

Sure...... Show me up!!!

:D I like them!

KamakaTexas
06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
This is an easy one. Although I use the ukuleles with my whole class, I really only have eleven (11) dedicated "uke club" members that come in on their recess to practice and learn new stuff. With the three that UKISOCIETY is sending and the Roy Smeck I already gave to one student, and the one student who's dad bought him a nice uke on Sat. that only leaves 6 kids in my group uke-less. So if anyone is up to it, send the ukes directly to the school. (I think it might make the value of the instrument tax deductabe?)

Mr. William Hochhaus (Misteruke)
Ramona Elementary
1133 N. Mariposa
Los Angeles, CA 90029

If any ukes don't make it before the last day of school, I will deliver them myself to the kids at home. If more than 6 ukes show up at my school, I will save the rest for next years dedicated students. The class set of Mahalos has a few gig bags on their last legs, so if someone had an old soprano gig bag that they wanted to donate it would certainly be appreciated too.

Whatever you do--If you donate an instrument, enclose an address if you could, as I would want the students to write personal thank-you letters.
Deech, NewbieUkie, UKISOCIETY, if you want to PM me with an address, I would love to have a student write to you too.

Thanks for all the interest in my fledgling ukulele teaching in Los Angeles.
Mahalo,
Bill

Bill, I can send you $50 through PayPal right now toward the purchase of a new ukulele of your choice from McCabe's, and then I can send the balance to you at the end of the month (another $50-$75, or whatever the cost is, doesn't matter). (Please PM info to me for a PayPal transfer.)

-OR-

I can purchase (Buy-it-Now feature) this ukulele on eBay which Deach has mentioned in this following post:

Until this big project gets established, I think it would be great for people help out Misteruke's kids.

Here is a good uke for a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-sparkle-black-SOPRANO-UKULELE-aquilas-HEAR-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ230261041037QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1622 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your choice! Just let me know!

cashew
06-16-2008, 01:29 PM
This is an amazing topic-- it's something I would have loved as a kid.

I'm lacking in organization abilities, but I'd be more than willing to donate generously once this gets off the ground!

KamakaTexas
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Time to get a different couch!:D

I'd rather spend money on ukuleles than furniture. :D

Besides, a new couch would just be clawed to shreds and destroyed. The cats are looking for a new target.

deach
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
All these ideas are great but we can't let this be a great idea that no one acted on. I think the next step is get organized.

I nominate seeso and KamakaTexas as co-presidents. They seem to have a clear vision of how and where to steer this project as well as the experience, fortitude and passion to make this work.

I nominate UKISociety as treasurer. He shares the vision and seems responsible and trustworthy to handle the financial dealings.

misteruke
06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Bill, I can send you $50 through PayPal right now toward the purchase of a new ukulele of your choice from McCabe's, and then I can send the balance to you at the end of the month (another $50-$75, or whatever the cost is, doesn't matter). (Please PM info to me for a PayPal transfer.)

-OR-

I can purchase (Buy-it-Now feature) this ukulele on eBay which Deach has mentioned in this following post:

Your choice! Just let me know!

Thank you so much! I would rather not deal with money right now, and I know that MGM really sets up his instruments nicely, so if you want to send a kid a Makala from Deach's link that would be awsome. You can send it directly to the school's address listed in my earlier post, or I can PM you my home address. Either way, I will probably have to deliver it to the student in early July, as I am leaving for a week as soon as school lets out (this Fri.) to visit a very sick family member. Remember, I hope to have the kids write thank-you letters, so include a return address if possible. If you want to remain anonomous, I understand, I will post their thanks through the board here too.
Mahalo,
Bill

NewbieUkie
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
All these ideas are great but we can't let this be a great idea that no one acted on. I think the next step is get organized.

I nominate seeso and KamakaTexas as co-presidents. They seem to have a clear vision of how and where to steer this project as well as the experience, fortitude and passion to make this work.

I nominate UKISociety as treasurer. He shares the vision and seems responsible and trustworthy to handle the financial dealings.

How sad,, how disappointing it would be if that happened...if we let ourselves just TALK about it with such enthusiasm, and then let it just kind of evaporate without ever coming to fruition.

Therefore...
I SECOND THESE MOTIONS.

I think each suggestion is well considered, and I hope the nominees will honor us by accepting these responsibilites.

Please don't underestimate what we are asking these people to do!

There will be a LOT of work involved, and all of us already have very busy lives, filled with all kinds of obligations!

To nominate these fine people is a wonderful idea, because each of them have already demonstrated the characteristics required by "the job", but let's remember if they are able to accept, how incredibly grateful we'd better be to them for taking on the work, and if they can't, that we need to be both understanding and ready to find other equally suitable candidates.

I'm taking the "easy way out", by offering only financial support. The REAL sacrifice will be made by those members who take on this awesome operation! That's a contribution you can't put a price on!

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Alright, these are my thoughts. I have read others' valued contributions to this thread, and will address them after I get this stuff out of my head. I don't want to forget anything. You guys kick ass. :D

The money for 501c3 status should be no problem. I can get the money for that pretty quickly.

The obstacles that face us concerning acquiring 501c3 status are not funding-related. To even be considered for non-profit 501c3 status, we need:

A Mission and Vision statement.

I have no problem with writing this, but I need help and input from all interested volunteers.

At least 3 board members.

These positions are at least:

Chair
Vice-Chair
Treasurer

A bank account.

Somewhere to hold the donations and grants is essential.

This is entirely do-able. We should have nominations and a voting procedure. We can do this online. All interested parties please make yourselves known.

Okay, now that that's out of the way... Here are my program-related thoughts:

Our main goal - We sponsor 2 ukulele teachers per year. These teachers will be selected via a contest. Essays, videos, photos, etc. all could be part of this contest.

Ukes 4 Kids will supply the winners with:

A low-cost ukulele and pitch pipe for each kid that takes the class. Up to 25 kids, but no less than 10. I'd like the ukes to sell for less than $10. Fleas are my top choice. They are consistent, durable and fun. Ideally, we would buy them at cost from a sponsor (like Flea) and pay for shipping.

$50 per class. I'm thinking that 12 classes once a week over the summer sounds good.

Teaching materials. I think we should create our own books.

A rented space at the local park district building or other viable institution. In Chicago, these rooms rent for $30 an hour.

The joy of spreading ukuleles. :D

Now, other stuff to get out of my brain:

We recruit YouTube Ukes 4 Kids Evangelists. Aldrine, me, Julia Nunes, Sweet Afton, Dustin, etc. These evangelists will make at least one video per year talking about Ukes 4 Kids, mentioning the sponsors, and soliciting tax-deductible donations.

These kids need to see how cool the uke can be. We are just the people to do that. If we get enough evangelists, we can reach upwards of 30,000 - 40,000 people instantly.

Establish a donor incentive program.

Example:

$20 gets you a U4K sticker and button.

$50 gets you a U4K sticker, button, and CD.

$100 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, and t-shirt.

$250 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, and a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors.

$500 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, and a personalized video song request from a YouTube U4K evangelist.

$1000 gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, and a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes you helped make possible.

A donation of $2500 or more gets you a U4K sticker, button, CD, t-shirt, a 20% discount from all U4K sponsors, a personalized video song request from the YouTube U4K evangelist of your choice, a DVD from the kids in the U4K classes, plus a plane ticket for you and a friend to see the final class of the program.

I think that's all the ideas I had. I'm sure more will come.

I think we can do this for about $10,000 per year. Entirely do-able. That's nothing, really.

Thoughts?

Seeso, you've got this all planned out and that is awesome. This kind of thinking and attitude is exactly what is going to make this "idea" a reality. :) this excites me seeing so many people working towards this. you really have no idea.

As for helping out, ANYTHING YOU GUYS NEED i'm in on it. From helping to make and/or order stickers and buttons, to advertising, to oraganizational stuff. Whatever you guys need from me, just let me know.

Ahhhh i'm excited :D

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm with you Heather....the members who are thinking BIG on this are taking this idea through the roof, and it will be THRILLING to see so many more kids benefit as a result, won't it?

yes it will!! :) like i said in my last response, anything you guys need help with, simply let me know. i'm a busy gal sometimes, but NEVER too busy for anything volunteer or nonprofit related.

i am looking forward to getting all of this together.

if anyone wants to speak more details, or those of you who have already started to put things together organizationally... if that's even a word i can use.. lol contact me via PM on here or email me (miss.heather@hotmail.com)

:D

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 06:08 PM

i second this notion, as well. you two are on top of things :)

salukulady
06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I am not sure how they operate, and how far reaching they are, but the amazing ukulele club of Santa Cruz already has such a program--started in 2004. Here is the URL: http://www.ukefestwest.com/kids.html (sorry, I don't know how to make an active link)
I could see myself expanding what I am doing in LA. The support I received here so quickly-- blew me away!
There is also an organization that lets you choose a classroom teacher and fulfill wishes they have for their class. I originally wanted to get my first class set of ukes this way, but until this year they didn't have instruments on their wishlist. (I was able to talk my principal into buying them for me before the latest CA education budget crisis.) Now, I know that they have ukes and more, and that there are teachers hoping to get instruments that way.
As a teacher of 9-10 year olds, I was glad to have my class all having the same instruments so there was no fighting over who got what. I got all Mahalos, all black.
As for donating used instruments, I think that is a great idea. The help I just got from everyone on UU, will put a nicer instrument into the hands of a kid who is already showing promise and dedication to learning how to play.
There is also a group taking donated ukes for troops. This is here in S. CA
here is the URL: http://ukesfortroops.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

I will continue doing some research, and certainly will keep in touch with this amazing group on UU. As I said, I will certainly post a pic if not a vid of the kids of mine Ukisociety, Deach, and Newbieukie have already helped out.
Mahalo!!!
Bill (Misteruke)

Ukes for Troops have concluded their program.

seeso
06-16-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm honored to have the nomination, but this is really UKISOCIETY's baby. I'd feel like I was stealing his idea in a way.

deach
06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm honored to have the nomination, but this is really UKISOCIETY's baby. I'd feel like I was stealing his idea in a way.

The three of you can be co-presidents.

la_ingrit
06-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Im IN!!! i want to be part of these!!!!!!!!

UKISOCIETY
06-17-2008, 09:05 AM

That's funny. I thought it was deach's idea!

I'll be glad to be a part of it in any way I can. I will be out of the country and in Russia with limited computer use for about a month sometime in early 2009 for the adoption. But other than that, I'm up for anything!

Question: Will U4K be affiliated with UU? If so, have all UU gurus okayed this idea?

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
so i did some research today in regards to a fundraising website. i signed up with nanpt.com, but in order to finish creating the account to get the website up and running... we need to plan this a little more

mainly, as of right now, we need someone to man the project and open up a mailing address for this. this way, we can recieve donations through mail as well as have an address for this nonprofit.

we still need someone to fill out our forms in regards to legally running the program, which includes creating a mission statement, etc.

this is where we also need to assign people to certain positions, thus being able to list all information and have it readily available for those who are interested in participating in U4K.

we need to outline a budget, create an email account for the program, find someone to take over the telephone part of the program, get our EIN (we'll get this after our paperwork is completed). once we get all of this done, we can start with the websites and online promotions, which actually may be even easier now through youtube and UU given how popularity of the uke has seemed to boost so much (happy uketube day, everyone!).

sorry if this is all a bit scrambled around, it's a rushed post. i will be able to clarify any questions through response later or through PM.

=D

deach
06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
mainly, as of right now, we need someone to man the project and open up a mailing address for this. this way, we can recieve donations through mail as well as have an address for this nonprofit.

So a PO Box should be opened by the treasurer to receive any funds and deposit them into a bank or PayPal or whatever. If it's a bank, most likely, the bank should be a national one in case the duties need to be transfered to someone else.

we still need someone to fill out our forms in regards to legally running the program, which includes creating a mission statement, etc.

this is where we also need to assign people to certain positions, thus being able to list all information and have it readily available for those who are interested in participating in U4K.

we need to outline a budget, create an email account for the program, find someone to take over the telephone part of the program, get our EIN (we'll get this after our paperwork is completed). once we get all of this done, we can start with the websites and online promotions, which actually may be even easier now through youtube and UU given how popularity of the uke has seemed to boost so much (happy uketube day, everyone!).

sorry if this is all a bit scrambled around, it's a rushed post. i will be able to clarify any questions through response later or through PM.

=D

I think what really needs to happen is a teleconference to decide who is going to lead this project (elect officers), discuss the topics you listed and a few more.

Thanks for your work LMH.

sukie
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Count me in. I'm ALWAYS up for a good project. And, I'll let you in on a little secret -- I work part-time. Meaning...while I'm not at all a computer whiz, I am pretty good at organizing stuff. Tell me what you need and I'm willing to help.

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
So a PO Box should be opened by the treasurer to receive any funds and deposit them into a bank or PayPal or whatever. If it's a bank, most likely, the bank should be a national one in case the duties need to be transfered to someone else.

I think what really needs to happen is a teleconference to decide who is going to lead this project (elect officers), discuss the topics you listed and a few more.

Thanks for your work LMH.

No problem. so we need to start a voting process to elect officers. We can set something up where each person votes one person in as any of the positions (ie: president, VP, treasurer, etc.). Teleconference is a great idea, or even having a thread solely devoted to voting? something or other. The hardest part about a teleconference is that so many of us are from different parts of the country. I take that back.. different parts of the world. So timing might be difficult.

Starting here, we can get things started up step by step.
Now we just need the thread!!!

lets make sure we link to it from this thread as well... given we choose to use one.

deach
06-17-2008, 01:52 PM
LMH - that link listed the ukulele at £19.99 which is about $40 US dollars. Then add shipping from England....

Can everyone interested agree on a time to do a quick vote? or should we set up a poll? I am open to either.

NewbieUkie
06-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Can everyone interested agree on a time to do a quick vote? or should we set up a poll? I am open to either.

I think a poll with an absolute cut-off time might be the way to go. It gives everybody a chance to not only vote but put their 2 cents in at the same time, (which I guess a vote could also do), but most importantly, it's a simple ratifying of the motions already seconded, which is what we need, since a vote implies there is more than one nominee per position.

misteruke
06-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Regarding today's instant case, I would like to see Bill (misteruke) provide all of his students with good ukuleles. Can we make that happen? Can we make it an impromptu project? He states that his students are pretty poor, and I don't know how many there are (Bill, if you see this, can you give us a number?), but can we get enough UU members to donate just a little and make it happen for these kids? Like right now? An immediate, enthusiastic response from the membership would serve as a good barometer of whether or not a future Kids program is even possible and doable, a good barometer of membership interest in a donation project.

I can't wait til they all arrive, but we now have a uke for every ukulele student I taught this year!!!
Thanks Seeso for starting this thread! I hope the dream of Ukes 4 Kids keeps going--I am in to help however I can.
And endless thanks to the following members for donating time, ukes or funds to stranger's children. Here is what we got...
Three vintage ukes coming from Ukisociety care of Deach and NewbieUkie!
One Applause donated by SailQwest! (won from Deach)
One TBD promised from KamakaTexas
A Flea and a Roy Smeck I found on Craigslist
and finally, Three Makalas set up and donated by Music Guy Mike!!!
That is ten, right? And one parent went out last weekend and bought the eleventh for their child. And that is that!!!

I want to say again that your generosity has inspired my students, the staff at my school, my administration, and friends. These small acts are rippling through this community as we speak, and will continue to give, as the gift of ukulele will now be a part of this community forever.
I plan to gather the group before summer school starts (after all the instruments have arrived) and write thank-yous, play some music, and will post on that when it happens. I will also try to post on their progress as my "advanced" 2nd year students.
I will try and keep up in the meantime, but as soon as I send the kids home Thursday, I must get on a plane for a funeral in Iowa. Some of you had sent thoughts and prayers in private messages. Please know that they were all appreciated, and my grandmother passed without pain or suffering early this morning, with loved ones around her.

I am so proud to be a member of this community. This heartfelt support couldn't have come at a better time!

Mahalo,
Bill

p.s. Anyone who donated, my principal has assured me that we can send you a receipt from the school that makes your donation tax deductable. If you included an address, I will send it with a thank-you whether you need it or not, otherwise let me know.

la_ingrit
06-17-2008, 02:19 PM
as Deach said...let's vote!!!

deach
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
and finally, Three Makalas set up and donated by Music Guy Mike!!!

:worship::worship::worship:

MGM has stepped up to plate!!!!!!

deach
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
misteruke - Sorry to hear about your grandmother. My condolences to you and your family.

NewbieUkie
06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
misteruke - Sorry to hear about your grandmother. My condolences to you and your family.

And my sincere condolences for your loss as well.....for you and all your loved ones.

NewbieUkie
06-17-2008, 02:48 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

Mgm Has Stepped Up To Plate!!!!!!

thank You Mgm!!!

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 03:12 PM
LMH - that link listed the ukulele at £19.99 which is about $40 US dollars. Then add shipping from England....

that's what i get for quick browsing at work... my mistake!!

as for voting, let's do the poll. i think we'll have a better shot at receiving more input with an online poll. should we gather nominees first??

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
okay, here we go. these are listed in US dollars (unlike my last mistake - sorry guys!). this uke starter packs are going for thirty bucks through musicians friend. shipping is free on all orders over $99 (i'm sure many of you have already looked into this).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Ukulele-Starter-Kit?sku=519291

as for the nonprofit stuff, here is an outline we can use to get started with everything. this was found online, and i believe i listed the adress below:::

The Checklist

Reserve a name with New York's Secretary of State, Division of Corporations. Go to www.dos.state.ny.us/corp/nfpcorp.html#aron.

Select individuals to serve on its board of directors.

Designate officers to serve on the board.

Develop a mission statement.

Develop a nonprofit operating plan, which is like a business plan for nonprofit organizations, and includes a description of the organization’s location, staffing, activities, funding, fundraising plan and budget.

Establish board committees (e.g., executive committee; finance committee; fundraising committee; volunteer committee; etc.).

Create by-laws.

Retain a bookkeeper to create accounting records and financial reports.

Retain an accountant for annual audit and mandatory government filings.

— Organizations with gross revenues greater than $250,000 must undergo a financial audit by an independent CPA. Those with revenues between $100,000 and $250,000 must file a CPA’s review report. Those with revenues below $100,000 are not required to retain a CPA, but must submit a financial report certified by its board with its CHAR 500 to the NYS AG’s office. - just stuff to keep in mind.

Incorporate or form a trust to protect its founders and principals from personal liability: www.dos.state.ny.us or www.dos.state.ny.us/corp/corpwww.html.

Hold its first corporate meeting and elect corporate directors and officers and adopt corporate by-laws (this is kind of what we're doing already)

Apply to IRS for an employer identification number (E.I.N.): www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Establish a bank account and establish check signing procedures -- see 14 below.

Designate which officer(s) have the power to sign checks.

Apply for IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt status (IRS Form 1023) and receive IRS Determination Letter or advanced ruling letter: www.irs.gov. All organizations that have gross receipts of $5,000 or more must receive an IRS Determination Letter.

— Organizations with gross receipts greater than $25,000 (on a three year average) must file IRS Form 990 annually. Those with gross annual revenues of less than $100,000 may file Form 990 EZ. Beginning in 2007, those with receipts of less than $25,000 will be required to complete an online filing with the IRS. Organizations having $1,000 or more in income from activities unrelated to their tax exempt purpose (UBIT) must file Form 990 T. IRS forms and instructions are at www.irs.gov.

File for state and local tax exemptions: from New York State corporate tax (Form CT-247); New York State and local sales tax (Form ST-119.2); and the New York City General Corporation Tax: www.tax.state.ny.us. A variety of other exemptions are also available, if applicable, including exemptions from state and local property tax and from certain New York City water and sewer charges. If the organization owns real estate, it should apply for property tax exemption by filing the Exemption From Real Estate Taxation for Property for Property Owned by Nonprofit Organizations form available at www.nyc.gov/html/dof.

Register with the Charities Bureau of the Attorney General's Office (Form CHAR 410): www.oag.state.ny.us/charities/charities.html.

— Annually, thereafter, the organization must file Form CHAR 500 with the AG's office. Publication CHAR 023 provides a summary of registration and filing requirements. Forms and instructions for the Charities Bureau of the New York State Attorney General are at www.oag.state.ny.us/charities/forms/charindex.html.

Obtain an Employer Registration Number (ERN) from New York State for reporting unemployment insurance, withholding and wage data Download Form NYS-100 from www.tax.state.ny.us.

Establish financial management, auditing and internal control systems.

Set up a chart of accounts to record financial transactions.

Establish a general ledger and bookkeeping system (either manual or computerized) to account for cash receipts and cash disbursements, assets and liabilities.

Compose job descriptions for staffing needs (we obviously just have volunteers).

Determine whether Directors & Officers (D&O) liability insurance is needed. See Directors and Officers Liability Insurance: Do all nonprofit organizations need Directors and Officers Liability Insurance? at www.npccny.org/info/oi2.htm for guidance.

Establish a system for providing receipts for donations to comply with IRS substantiation requirements. Download IRS Publication 1771, Charitable Contributions Substantiation and Disclosure Requirements, at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf.

If the organization is getting donations and giving something in return, the organization should create a “quid pro quo” disclosure statement informing donors that the amount of the contribution that is tax deductible is limited to the difference between the amount of the contribution and the value of goods or services received in exchange (which should be estimated in a document given to the donor).

Leases a postage meter and apply for a nonprofit permit number in order to mail at the reduced nonprofit bulk rate.

Copyright 2006 Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York, Inc. www.npccny.org
revised & updated January 2007

WOW, WHAT A LIST!
i know it seems like a lot, but we could get this done very quickly and very easily with as many people as interested as they are. and hey, it's something to go by to get started.. right? :D

so with all of that said, we need to elect the following positions::

President (and possibly a Co-President)
Vice President
Director
Secretary
Treasurer

and i don't really think we'll need more than that.

i think that possibly we could use two people in some positions, to split the workload that will be involved. for instance, with secratary work / director work. then assign other people to other jobs as well - we can come up with these later

okay, so now for all of you who actually read through all of that...
what do you think?

deach
06-17-2008, 04:12 PM
WOW! Heather you are on the ball! You sure you don't want to hold a position?

NewbieUkie
06-17-2008, 04:27 PM

I second THAT motion too!!

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM

hahaha like i said, i have no problem helping out with anything you guys need. seeso and i talked a bit about the program last night, and realized we needed some sort of step by step plan. i figured we needed to start with the legalities, and we could reach the other stuff later.

seeso already had a great outline of ideas for the program that he posted on this thread earlier (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38479&postcount=19). those were FANTASTIC and i definitely think we shoud use them. we just have to look into what we need to do step by step to get things started!

i wouldnt mind a position, as i love devoting my free time to things of this nature. i love everything about this program, thus i'm very enthusiastic about it. i just don't know how much i would want a high end position, or in a position solely alone.. if you know what i mean :) i like being able to exchange ideas or split tasks. makes things easier.. because we all have things going on in our lifes (jobs, families) aside from this organization (or soon to be :) ). that's why i think its a good idea to have two people for some of the chairman positions. just gotta find the right people , and people who can work together.

oh! and i almost forgot!! :D

i have been thinking about fundraising ideas for after we get all of the legal stuff finished. i am moving near the sacramento area this week (tomorrow actually... that came up quick!), and plan on putting together some sort of benefit show. i do not know a lot of people who play the ukulele down the hill from where i am now, but am sure i can find people. there are lots of local music businesses where i'm sure we could get a lot of people to attend.. and i have friends who play in local bands in town who i'm sure could headline the show in order to promote more attention.

there are a few venues i know of that will probably let me hold the shows at their venues for cheap, if not for free... and let us keep most if not all profit.

there is also the idea to form a website, which i mentioned earlier i believe. i signed up for one earlier in the day, but before we complete the profile and set it up completely we need to finish the legal stuff.

i figure since all of us are from different places, we could all attempt to set up benefits of the sort? online funding, etc.

it's something that will get us going, at least. and if enough of us hold these benefits, we could make a lot of extra money to put towards this foundation.

yess? :)

Howlin Hobbit
06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Is everybody sure they want to register this in NY? All the federal level stuff is going to be the same hassle and expense no matter what state but maybe shopping around for states to incorporate might be a good idea.

Some might have lesser fees or not quite as many state level hoops to jump through, etc.

Since this is a "virtual" thing, with officers on the board from all sorts of areas, it seems it shouldn't matter what state it ends up registering in.

seeso
06-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Guys, this is a lot for me to take in right now. I have to study for a test on Shrimp Specials tomorrow, so I can't give these posts the attention they deserve. Rest assured, I will go through them tomorrow and post a response.

I only want to say a couple of things for now.

Misteruke, my sincere condolences for your loss. I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Heather, you are on the ball, woman. Total bad ass.

That's all for now guys, save to say that I'm really excited about this project. I think we have a viable plan, whether I take a position or not.

lovemissheather
06-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Is everybody sure they want to register this in NY? All the federal level stuff is going to be the same hassle and expense no matter what state but maybe shopping around for states to incorporate might be a good idea.

Some might have lesser fees or not quite as many state level hoops to jump through, etc.

Since this is a "virtual" thing, with officers on the board from all sorts of areas, it seems it shouldn't matter what state it ends up registering in.

you're right, any state can register. as for my outline for the "checklist", new york was simply mentioned because of the article i pulled it from. i believe it was using new york as an example of what they need with extra steps taken.

honestly, i figure whoever is assigned a position in which we need to fill out these documents, etc.. we can do it in that person's state. i don't think it will make much of a difference where the organization is located. i just know that we need to keep the city it's located the same as the mailing address. or, i guess it doesn't have to be that way.. but i'd assume.

and seeso, get to studying!! :) we're looking forward to hearing from you when you catch up with free time.

as for myself, i might be checking this every once in a while but im going to be VERY busy the next few days so i'm not sure i'll have a lot of time to check in. even when i can check in, i'm not sure i'll have a lot of time to respond to posts, etc. but i will try.

does someone want to start a thread in regards to voting?

does anyone want to nominate people to be in the running for people to vote against? or are we taking random names from the website?

lets get this stuff going, guys.
the sooner we do, the sooner we get this stuff ready and on the go. :D

UKISOCIETY
06-18-2008, 03:51 AM
i have been thinking about fundraising ideas for after we get all of the legal stuff finished. i am moving near the sacramento area this week (tomorrow actually... that came up quick!), and plan on putting together some sort of benefit show. i do not know a lot of people who play the ukulele down the hill from where i am now, but am sure i can find people. there are lots of local music businesses where i'm sure we could get a lot of people to attend.. and i have friends who play in local bands in town who i'm sure could headline the show in order to promote more attention.

there are a few venues i know of that will probably let me hold the shows at their venues for cheap, if not for free... and let us keep most if not all profit.
complete the profile and set it up completely we need to finish the legal stuff.

i figure since all of us are from different places, we could all attempt to set up benefits of the sort? online funding, etc.

it's something that will get us going, at least. and if enough of us hold these benefits, we could make a lot of extra money to put towards this foundation.

yess? :)

Does Jake Shimabokuro represent any non-profit? Perhaps we could get him as a spokesperson. His people (or ours) could have a booth at his events for donations - ukes and money!

At the Public Radio station I work at, we have an instrument donation program that appears at events to take donations.

UkuleleHill
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
So we need to elect:

Vice President
Director
Secretary
Treasurer

But also are we going to have any board members? The non-profit orgs I have been involved in in the past usually have at least 3-4 regular board members (in order to have a good quorum at any meeting.

What would the role of the Director be?

deach
06-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Vice President
Director

What are the responsibilities of these positions?

lovemissheather
06-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Vice President
Director

What are the responsibilities of these positions?

as for a director / board of directors, i think we need a board. not one person. we can set up these responsibilities specifically in regards to our organization, as each program will have its own specifics.

president will be the head guy who oversees everything. preferrably the person who came up with the idea. the "founder." we can put more specifics into "job duties" later in regards to the program (splitting tasks, etc.). if you guys have any ideas, please submit them. we can put together descriptions and then vote.

VP is someone who is top notch rank with the president. Someone helping to call the shots. both of these positions will overlook the lower ranking positions to make sure things are being done correctly.

as for the board of directors, i think that should all go into the planning of benefits, websites, etc. it would also be awesome to just keep everyone on the board our "volunteer workers", which is everyone willing to take part. this includes a few people who might be receiving ukes and packaging them.. or maybe fixing up old ukes? note that we will have the extra money for supplies via fundraising events by that time. we also need people for promotion. someone to organize local benefits as well as organizing online promotion via a website, or even videos on youtube (i still love that idea).

we just need to think of the specifics of what we need, and how many people we'll need to accomplish this.

this includes seeing how many people we have who are actually interested in taking on a role with this project. who has the time, etc.

ah, if i'm leaving something out, let me know.
anyone interested in helping to form job descriptions?
i would, but i'm moving in.. well, i need to go pick up my uhaul right now. lol

deach
06-19-2008, 04:00 AM
I sense a lot of tire-spinning. Let's set up some deadlines.

Nominations for officers - due Friday 9PM EST
Election - Monday 9PM EST
First board meeting - Wednesday 9 PM EST

any thoughts?

UKISOCIETY
06-19-2008, 04:18 AM
as for a director / board of directors, i think we need a board. not one person. we can set up these responsibilities specifically in regards to our organization, as each program will have its own specifics.

president will be the head guy who oversees everything. preferrably the person who came up with the idea. the "founder." we can put more specifics into "job duties" later in regards to the program (splitting tasks, etc.). if you guys have any ideas, please submit them. we can put together descriptions and then vote.

VP is someone who is top notch rank with the president. Someone helping to call the shots. both of these positions will overlook the lower ranking positions to make sure things are being done correctly.

as for the board of directors, i think that should all go into the planning of benefits, websites, etc. it would also be awesome to just keep everyone on the board our "volunteer workers", which is everyone willing to take part. this includes a few people who might be receiving ukes and packaging them.. or maybe fixing up old ukes? note that we will have the extra money for supplies via fundraising events by that time. we also need people for promotion. someone to organize local benefits as well as organizing online promotion via a website, or even videos on youtube (i still love that idea).

we just need to think of the specifics of what we need, and how many people we'll need to accomplish this.

this includes seeing how many people we have who are actually interested in taking on a role with this project. who has the time, etc.

ah, if i'm leaving something out, let me know.
anyone interested in helping to form job descriptions?
i would, but i'm moving in.. well, i need to go pick up my uhaul right now. lol

The board oversees the President and the financial officer. The president oversees the whole non-profit venture (including checking the financial officer's work) If there is a vice-pres, I suggest having them in charge of the mechanics of the organization, i.e. making sure things get done. Since this will be a small board (i assume) board members can be assigned individual tasks (p.r., development, reviewing instrument requests).

Thoughts?

UKISOCIETY
06-19-2008, 04:19 AM

any thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

UkuleleHill
06-19-2008, 07:36 AM

any thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

Yeah this sounds like good deadlines to me..

UkuleleHill
06-19-2008, 07:42 AM
Oh! Almost forgot... So do we know if this is something UU staff is in support of as well?

Also, how are nominations working?

deach
06-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Also, how are nominations working?

Should we start a new thread or just continue it here?

seeso
06-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Before we start nominations, I want to make sure that this is something that I can devote myself to. My life has been a mess lately. Sometimes when that happens I take up other projects instead fixing my own problems.

deach
06-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Oh! Almost forgot... So do we know if this is something UU staff is in support of as well?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3600

deach
06-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Before we start nominations, I want to make sure that this is something that I can devote myself to. My life has been a mess lately. Sometimes when that happens I take up other projects instead fixing my own problems.

I totally understand this. If you can't take care of your own problems, you probably should be trying to help others, yet.

I think Friday night we should post a thread for people to post their nominations. If someone does NOT want to be nominated, they can say so.

UKISOCIETY
06-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Seeso,

Take care of yourself first! This thing will be bigger than all of us and continue for a looooong time, if done correctly. Work your personal stuff out first and then get involved. I think there should be a term-limit for board members. 3 years is a usual amount.

I knew you were being stretched thin lately! That last photo of you reminded me of "Apocalypse Now"!

"The horror! The horror!" :D

salukulady
06-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Before we start nominations, I want to make sure that this is something that I can devote myself to. My life has been a mess lately. Sometimes when that happens I take up other projects instead fixing my own problems.Just keep posting those videos.....it's good therapy for stress and I'm starting to run out of your videos to watch.

cMejilla
06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
i hope this pulls through

lovemissheather
06-19-2008, 11:01 AM

take your time, do what you need to do. i understand that completely. i tend to do the same thing sometimes.

keep us updated.
we could probably even do something to where we start it off and hold a position for you if you want it, and let others take it over in the meantime. something of the sort.

lovemissheather
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
the Board Oversees The President And The Financial Officer. The President Oversees The Whole Non-profit Venture (including Checking The Financial Officer's Work) If There Is A Vice-pres, I Suggest Having Them In Charge Of The Mechanics Of The Organization, I.e. Making Sure Things Get Done. Since This Will Be A Small Board (i Assume) Board Members Can Be Assigned Individual Tasks (p.r., Development, Reviewing Instrument Requests).

Thoughts?

Perfect. :)

lovemissheather
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM

any thoughts?

i like this. as for seeso, we should continue to nominate and leave a spot open for him (if voted) if he wants to take it. aside from that, we could always take a runner up temporarily for full time pending seeso's decision.

yes?

deach
06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Maybe we should start by asking for volunteers...anyone?

lovemissheather
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

as i said before, i would willingly take a position. just don't give me too much of a workload!! haha

deach
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll keep a list then...

Positions needed

President
Vice President
Director
Secretary
Treasurer

Volunteers

lovemissheather - something that won't give me too much of a workload
deach - steering committee/BOD
RON<>VA - steering committee/BOD
UKISociety - anything and everything
UkuleleHill

RON<>VA
06-19-2008, 01:57 PM

I would be willing to help out - not in the top positions, but would serve as a board member or some other function. One suggestion regarding board members, do you think it would be a good idea to have as wide a geographical representation as possible. East Coast, West Coast, other countries, etc? Your thoughts?

-Ron-

deach
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I would be willing to help out - not in the top positions, but would serve as a board member or some other function. One suggestion regarding board members, do you think it would be a good idea to have as wide a geographical representation as possible. East Coast, West Coast, other countries, etc? Your thoughts?

-Ron-

So far, only people in the CONUS have expressed interest. I think we should start here and expand out. Although a wide geo. rep would be ideal, it doesn't seem like a lot of people can step up at this moment so we'll take what we can.

UKISOCIETY
06-19-2008, 03:15 PM
I'll keep a list then...

Count me in. I don't care in what capacity. I'll do as much or as little as you want!

deach
06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Count me in. I don't care in what capacity. I'll do as much or as little as you want!

added .

UkuleleHill
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I would love to be involved in any way possible!

I think the steering committee/BOD sounds up my alley but yeah I just want to be involved!

deach
06-19-2008, 04:22 PM
I would love to be involved in any way possible!

Added .

lovemissheather
06-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll keep a list then...

i'm thinking now that i could take on something... i already volunteered, but all in all, i could take on a decent workload, as long as i it didn't take all of my time away from work. so i take back the "not a lot of work" thing. give me anything. i'm down.

this is what came after a day of moving, unpacking, and pondering throughout the process. ha! :D

KamakaTexas
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I wanted to throw out some random thoughts. I've been jotting down notes for a few days now hoping to find some time to expound on them and write them out. Only trouble is, it's after 2:00 a.m. and I have to get up at 5:00 a.m. so I can get ready for an early job assignment. So I might sound a little disjointed and delirious here because I'm in a hurry.

I am not in favor of a vote at this point because I think it's too early. Consider this: We have a membership of approximately 2500, and an active membership of a little over a thousand. I'm not sure I know what "active membership" is. Maybe they're just folks who have posted in the forums.

Let's just take the number 1,000 for now. Consider that only a "handful" of people have either read or responded to any of the threads concerning the Ukes For Kids project. I realize that in any organization you'll usually find only a handful of "movers and shakers" who bear the bulk of the workload in advancing the organization's mission and projects, but in our case, I'm not certain that our entire membership has been apprised of this wonderful proposal yet. I didn't go back and count, so this is an estimate. Out of 1,000 people, we've had maybe 2 dozen respond to the thread? Maybe less?

Rather than taking a vote on anything right now, I would rather see a prominent announcement regarding this proposed project put up on UU's home page and then maybe later also a poll put up on the UU forum asking folks if they'd be willing to participate in a program or not, or just asking about how interested they would be in a project or whether they'd welcome such a project. And, more importantly, I would also rather see an announcement asking the membership for input, ideas, suggestions, etc., and give the membership time to offer their input; say a period of 20 or 30 days, maybe even longer.

I say that because I can't be on the site every day. Sometimes I have to wait for the weekend before I'm able to devote time to "play" on my computer. And so in a period of the last 24 to 48 hours I've missed a lot of goings-on on the forum and can barely keep up. A lot of folks who aren't on the forum every day may have missed this thread and maybe won't see it for another week or two. I'd like to give them time to receive the information and give everyone more time and a chance to respond if they're interested. There might be someone out there who isn't aware of this project yet and who has lots of experience in organizing such a thing, and this program just might be right up their alley; you never know. But we won't know unless we give the membership more time.

I understand everyone's enthusiasm for this project and understand the feeling for urgency. But this idea isn't going to die if we don't organize it immediately and on a fast track. We're not going to let it fizzle out! As was pointed out earlier in some part of the thread (man, it's hard to remember where all this stuff is!), this idea was bandied about some time ago and has re-emerged. So it's not going away. Worthwhile projects like this are not going to be deep-sixed. There's plenty of interest for it. I simply feel we need to make an effort first to notify the entire membership by means other than a forum thread in order to give it some prominence, and then solicit input. And THEN talk about organizing. Can we please step back, take a deep breath, and take a few baby steps first?

I haven't scratched the surface here yet with all the comments I wanted to make, and I can't address them all right now because it's now 3:00 in the morning and I have two hours left to get some sleep. My list I jotted down is a long one. I have other concerns about which I wanted to solicit responses but I simply can't list them all right now. Which underscores my feeling that we need more time and we need to go just a little slower. I feel like we're rushing things when we don't have to. And I feel like we're being exclusionary if we don't inform the entire membership first.

Regardless of what happens, I wholeheartedly support this venture 100 percent and will do anything I can to help organize it.

Gotta get to bed.

deach
06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
KamakaTexas - I don't agree with everything you said but I am willing to slow down the process if that is the general consensus of the people who are most interested in this project.

RON<>VA
06-20-2008, 01:17 AM
KamakaTexas you may have been short on sleep with the last post but long of logic. I agree. I too am on board to help but think we need to take some time and do it right. Getting input from the larger UU community makes sense.

-Ron-

salukulady
06-20-2008, 04:06 AM
I got a flyer last night at jam announcing the 7th Annual Southern California Ukulele Festival in October in Cerritos, CA. Besides listing all the performers and schedule etc. it also stated, "ask us about our Ukes for Kids Program" and proceeds of a drawing go to the "Ukes for Kids". Perhaps contacting them with our idea might answer a lot of questions and if another group has done this already.

www.ukulelefestival.org

deach
06-20-2008, 04:11 AM
I got a flyer last night at jam announcing the 7th Annual Southern California Ukulele Festival in October in Cerritos, CA. Besides listing all the performers and schedule etc. it also stated, "ask us about our Ukes for Kids Program" and proceeds of a drawing go to the "Ukes for Kids". Perhaps contacting them with our idea might answer a lot of questions and if another group has done this already.

www.ukulelefestival.org

Thanks Ukulady. I actually called them yesterday and left a message.

NotoriousMOK
06-20-2008, 07:32 AM
I'd be all over this -- my industry (mortgage) is on the slow side lately, so I've got some time on my hands and probably will for a while. I agree with KamakaTexas for the most part as far as taking a more thought out approach here, but at the same time I feel that the momentum is a strong force in our favor. This is not the first program like this, so no need for us to re-invent the wheel here. Let's try to mirror a successful example.

lovemissheather
06-20-2008, 10:11 AM
KamakaTexas - I don't agree with everything you said but I am willing to slow down the process if that is the general consensus of the people who are most interested in this project.

ditto.

maybe we should ask to promote the forum? or maybe put something together that generalizes the idea so UU members can give their input.

i think we can slow the process, but i still am in the mindset that the quicker we can do the legal stuff... the quicker we can get started with the fundraising.

i am already in the process of setting up benefit shows in my area, and have actually done quite well given the amount of time i've set it up.

we could always change the name of the program if there is another U4K out there. it doesn't mean we have to end this, completely... or change it completely, either.

NewbieUkie
06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Guys, and Girls, (sorry!)

When I first mentioned the "Ukes 4 Kids" idea, and it took off like a bat outta hell, I was elated, excited and enthused, and as the thread grew, (and grew and GREW!), I was even more thrilled to see that our little community (which I am still very much a newcomer to) was just as energetic as anyone could ever hope for in getting the idea transformed into reality.

Now, naturally, the smarter heads (than yours truly) among us quickly stepped to the plate and pointed out that as good as the idea is, it has legal ramifications and many other serious organizational considerations that must be faced to make the Ukes 4 Kids program a viable, working, effective entity.

I don’t see it slowing down for lack of concern, or for lack of will, that’s for sure, and if in fact we do need to “slow down”, it would be rightfully to ensure that we are doing everything we need to do to make sure that at the end of the day we wind up with a program that will “deliver the goods”, i.e., the gift of music to underprivileged children, one of the most worthwhile endeavors I think our community can undertake!

Surely, THAT is a good reason to take a deep breath, and make sure our collective mind is together on this, and that we have crossed all our “T’s: and dotted every one of our “I’s”, to use a clich&#233; that has some real practical value in this context.

BUT….That said….

I also understand and agree that “momentum” sustains an idea like this, and we need to leverage that momentum while we have it, or risk the whole thing fizzling out, as one member feared early in the thread.

While NONE of us wants THAT to happen, we are realists, (thankfully, we are still “idealists” too, or this wouldn’t happen at all, would it?), and we all know just where many great intentions eventually lead.

SO!!!

What’s the compromise???

It may in fact be too early to do any voting, as the point made about only a small fraction of the members even knowing about this at this point is extremely well taken, and a point I’m surprised one of us didn’t surface sooner! (Well….I’M not smart enough. But you guys are!!)

It’s true. Not enough of the membership has been heard from.
So…how do we get as many active members on board as possible?
Do we have a mailing list? Would a “snail-mail” letter be effective?
Should we in the interest of time and expense use email instead?
An email sent to every single member, active or not, (maybe some “in-active” members would be brought back to the fold by this wonderful project!), might be the ticket. An email sent to inform them of the need to sign-in, catch-up, and voice their ideas and opinions about what we’d like to accomplish.

CORRECTON:

What we ARE GOING to accomplish!!!

What do you think……is that a good start to resolve the well spoken issue of getting this project “vote-worthy”??

Ideas??

KamakaTexas
06-21-2008, 09:08 AM
It’s true. Not enough of the membership has been heard from.
So…how do we get as many active members on board as possible?
Do we have a mailing list? Would a “snail-mail” letter be effective?
Should we in the interest of time and expense use email instead?
An email sent to every single member, active or not, (maybe some “in-active” members would be brought back to the fold by this wonderful project!), might be the ticket. An email sent to inform them of the need to sign-in, catch-up, and voice their ideas and opinions about what we’d like to accomplish.

CORRECTON:

What we ARE GOING to accomplish!!!

What do you think……is that a good start to resolve the well spoken issue of getting this project “vote-worthy”??

Ideas??

I think a well-drafted announcement via email to the entire membership is the most effective means of getting the word out. It doesn't have to be lengthy. Just short and sweet. But an announcement outlining the proposed program and a request to offer input and ideas and suggestions, and then maybe also a request to respond indicating an interest (or noninterest) in volunteering and helping with any phase of the project.

Since the UU membership email is governed by UU staff, we'd have to ask them if that's something they could do. For the moment, I'll just assume that it is.

One of my reasons for wanting to first notify the entire membership of the project is because we might be able to tap into a talent pool that we may not be aware of at the moment.

For instance, if one of our members were a lawyer who wouldn't mind lending a little legal advice on some general and generic questions, that would be helpful. I did have a question which I'll address in another post, and if it turns out that it might be a real legal concern, at least we could get an initial opinion and keep that item in focus.

There might be a marketing or advertising person out there who would be willing to lend his or her expertise and donate services to the cause.

Folks like NewbieUkie who have corporate experience and business acumen are invaluable. Just look at all the input he's offered so far. What other think tanks might be out there willing to contribute?

While we already have folks who are technologically and Internet-savvy, we could always use as much help as we can get in that area. If sometime in the future we wanted to create a Web site, we'd need help in designing and creating and maintaining that Web site.

We have folks with design and graphic arts experience like Alan and UkuleleHill who have already submitted some wonderful design ideas for a name and logo. I didn't know they had that expertise, so imagine what other talents we might find amongst our membership.

We might find a number of luthiers out there willing to donate time and services. Or maybe even donate a hand-made instrument.

Keeping track of donations and finances takes a good deal of accounting and bookkeeping expertise. Perhaps there's someone out there who could provide some of those services free of charge.

Ventures like this usually require liability insurance, among other kinds. Maybe there's an insurance person out there who could guide us on insurance needs and which insurance is the best and maybe knows how and where to negotiate a good insurance deal.

There are many avenues and many opportunities for fund-raising activities for a project like this, and they take a lot of work, and maybe there's folks out there like Heather who have fund-raising experience or who maybe have some new and different ideas for fund-raising projects who would lend their help and knowledge and expertise from their experiences.

Sometime along the way, with a general call to arms, we could have an army of people out there looking for used ukuleles on craigslist, at flea markets, at garage and lawn sales, at thrift stores, etc. to purchase and donate. We could have the UU Army hunting for bargains on chord books, music books, tuners, strings, gig bags -- all the ukulele paraphernalia.

There's tons of exciting possibilities for this project. We already have a number of fabulous ideas and suggestions just from the relative handful of folks who have responded in this thread. Consider that we could receive tons more from the rest of the membership. Only -- they may not know about this project yet.

If we had some better handle on what services or volunteer help we could expect from the entire membership, it might make organizing the project a little easier. We might could short-cut the process a little in the long run.

Whether the response from the entire membership is great or small, I simply think it would be a good thing to have some idea of the kind of support we can depend on before we commence the organizing phase. And whether the support is great or small, this endeavor will still go forward. Like NewbieUkie said, it WILL happen! I simply would like to include everyone and give everyone the opportunity to respond and participate.

I agree with what everyone said regarding momentum. That's very important. I am sorry if my previous comments disappointed some folks and let some air out of the tires, but, like flats, that can easily be remedied. Everyone, get your air pumps out and inflate them puppies again and let's get rolling!

Getting a letter drafted and emailed is nothing. We can have that done by tomorrow if the UU staff will email it for us, assuming that's what we want to do. Anyone have ideas on how long to give the membership time to respond before commencing? Three weeks, 21 days? Shorter? Longer? Until we can't stand it any longer? :) Someone want to ask the UU staff if they'll email the letter for us?

We might potentially receive a very enthusiastic response from the membership with, hopefully, more great ideas to offer. That will only add to the momentum and help keep it sustained.

Now, good people, listen up. I don't want to hear anything more about fizzling out or good intentions. We need to keep our focus and we need to maintain a "can do" attitude. As NewbieUkie said, this is a project that WE WILL ACCOMPLISH and our ultimate goal is to provide "the gift of music to underprivileged children, one of the most worthwhile endeavors I think our community can undertake!"

Now, really, folks, how could you possibly lose heart about that?

UkuleleHill
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Now, good people, listen up. I don't want to hear anything more about fizzling out or good intentions. We need to keep our focus and we need to maintain a "can do" attitude. As NewbieUkie said, this is a project that WE WILL ACCOMPLISH and our ultimate goal is to provide "the gift of music to underprivileged children, one of the most worthwhile endeavors I think our community can undertake!"

Now, really, folks, how could you possibly lose heart about that?

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think we should see about sending an email like its been suggested. See what we can drum up! :)

lovemissheather
06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think we should see about sending an email like its been suggested. See what we can drum up! :)

ditto... :D

nikolo727
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Since Im kinda new to Ukes4Kids I would like to say that I am very happy and very proud to be in a great community of ukulele players. You guys really will change the world and I would love to be apart of that experience. When you guys get the program rolling, I would love to help out in every way I can.

I do have a few things that I can add.

1. My church goes on mission trips every year to places in america and outside of america that are in need. The praise team is always present for the mission trips. We could at these mission trips teach ukulele at the daycares we work for. I can and will spread the word around about Ukes4Kids(with your permission).

I would especially like to add that my church is going for another trip to New Orleans in a few years. I will continue to talk to the praise team and my church about bringing the music back into New Orleans. New Orleans was known for its music and I personally believe the first step to solving any problem is to have motivation. bringing back music for the children will help motivate the people of the city. I have met the people down there and they need help. Badly. In more ways than just building a house. My church could be a way to spread the word about ukes4kids and who knows. we could even hold an event down there. I dont know, im just telling you guys that it is a huge possibility.

If you guys want to continue expanding your group of Ukes4Kids I will be waiting in line for sure.

lovemissheather
06-28-2008, 12:40 PM
i feel like the action taking and the ideas of this program are dying.

we need to get back on track, guys.
i know not everyone agrees, but i like the idea of taking things faster. becuase without it. things are just slowly lagging behind.

i know personally, i dont like that feeling :-/

ltlpenguin
06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm up for this. If I can get everything straighten out for my service project, I would gladly donate some of the money raised to this.

Valerie
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Not to be a downer on the whole thread- but I just finished reading the whole thing and my opinion is that everyone is wanting to go big way too soon.

Here were some things I though of that might make doing the non-profit thing hard right from the gate:

-Who is going to be handling the money- is anyone here an accountant? If not, is hiring an accountant an option- where do you get the money for that?

-What about legal matters- there is more than just becoming a non-profit. If, for instance, you have people donate old ukes- they are donating with the belief that their uke is going to a kid. What if the uke is just not suitable for playing and isn't worth the cost that fixing it would be? Where will you store the ukes- and what will you do if that storage space is destroyed? (again- people donated things that, in the end, don't end up in kids hands) Otherwise- insurance- who will pay for the insurance. Who will pay for the lawyer?

-Since this is very much an internet project, people live in different states. I know very little about non-profits- but I am left wondering if the present, vice prez, etc. have to actually reside in the state where you register- also- where do you get the money to register, and what about federal registration? Will there have to be different divisions and such for each state?

-And I am sure there are others I can't think of.

So my question is this: What is wrong with starting small?

Start a mailing group/forum (this doesn't have to cost money- just use yahoo or google or some such.)

Have members say what they are willing to donate to the group as far as instruments go.

Find a classroom/teacher/principal/children's home/hospital/etc. or some such in a member's local area that is willing to take some instruments (exactly where the instruments will go would in part be based on how many instruments the group has proposed giving-- a classroom might need 25 ukes. But, say, a special ed classroom might only need 10, a children's home might need 5-100 or so ukes depending on how many kids are there.)

Once a group willing to get instruments is found- send the instruments over, takes some pictures, ask the kids/teachers/parents to comment (these can be saved...) and wala- one sucessfull mission accomplished. It might not be grand- but it is a stepping stone.

Doing so would help figure out the kinks, figure out what works/what doesn't. But further, it gets something done and, for instance, that could help springboard to something else being done like perhaps putting up a web page that has the pics/comments from the first sucessful mission. It most likely wouldn't be a very highly trafficed site at first and would probably be a page even I could afford to run (and I'm a grad stuent- but I could say put up 200 a year to buy a domain name and pay for hosting costs.)

Then, once say, two or three giving missions have been accomplished and more people have been recruited the group as a whole will have a better idea about who is good with putting things together, a better idea of how to set up the non-profit as far as donations and things go. And then, maybe a year or two or five from now- then you apply to be registered as non-profit org.

I also want to say I love the idea about making a free how to play uke type publication. And if this thing gets off the ground (no matter how- whether shooting for non-profit right away, or whatever else happens--) That is where I'd love to help out. I'm a beginner when it comes to the uke- but I love publishing- or even just making my printer work.

RON<>VA
06-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Not to be a downer on the whole thread- but I just finished reading the whole thing and my opinion is that everyone is wanting to go big way too soon.

So my question is this: What is wrong with starting small?

Start a mailing group/forum (this doesn't have to cost money- just use yahoo or google or some such.)

Have members say what they are willing to donate to the group as far as instruments go.

Find a classroom/teacher/principal/children's home/hospital/etc. or some such in a member's local area that is willing to take some instruments (exactly where the instruments will go would in part be based on how many instruments the group has proposed giving-- a classroom might need 25 ukes. But, say, a special ed classroom might only need 10, a children's home might need 5-100 or so ukes depending on how many kids are there.)

Once a group willing to get instruments is found- send the instruments over, takes some pictures, ask the kids/teachers/parents to comment (these can be saved...) and wala- one sucessfull mission accomplished. It might not be grand- but it is a stepping stone.

Doing so would help figure out the kinks, figure out what works/what doesn't. But further, it gets something done and, for instance, that could help springboard to something else being done like perhaps putting up a web page that has the pics/comments from the first sucessful mission. It most likely wouldn't be a very highly trafficed site at first and would probably be a page even I could afford to run (and I'm a grad stuent- but I could say put up 200 a year to buy a domain name and pay for hosting costs.)

Then, once say, two or three giving missions have been accomplished and more people have been recruited the group as a whole will have a better idea about who is good with putting things together, a better idea of how to set up the non-profit as far as donations and things go. And then, maybe a year or two or five from now- then you apply to be registered as non-profit org.

I agree with Valerie. Starting small means we can be up and going right away. That will speak to the fears expressed that the idea is dying and we are losing momentum. We can look for a needy project in our area. Submit some the ideas to the forum. Decide on one or two. Then offer it to the wider UU community. Give out the ukes. Take pictures. Get testimonials. And move forward with the next project. This we can do easily and can start now. Thanks Valerie for your thougtful comments. We can do this, Yes We Can!

h-drix
06-29-2008, 05:58 AM
Find a classroom/teacher/principal/children's home/hospital/etc. or some such in a member's local area that is willing to take some instruments

i Think the children hospital would be the best. Not only will it be smaller (then say a childrens home or classroom) it would be the best place to get the best results.

childrens home- to big, especially with the whole start small idea.
school- Many kids dont take music class seriously, and it might be more of a waste, also it might be harder to get the parents to comment (how often do kids talk about what they did in music)
Hospital- size wise will most likely be the best. Little to do in those hospitals so haveing a teacher come in with a uke would be great. the parents would most likely love seeing there kid having a smile because of a uke. could change lives.

thats just me though, but the hospital does sound best. I cant think of any cons for it so if some one could that would be great.:confused:

NewbieUkie
06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
It's true.....because we started thinking "big", we started investigating what it takes to GET "big", and we found out that it's complicated. (No surprise there, of course.)
But the threat of complications took this from the hottest thread on the forum to a back burner behind topics like "My nut fell off".
Now, please, that isn't meant to offend anybody, because I sure wouldn't want one of MY nuts to fall off, and if one did, I'd be very upset, and want help too!
But that said, I have to agree that if the complications of thinking big freeze us into inaction on the Ukes 4 Kids project, then lets think small!
It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
So, let's do "something", however small, rather than nothing, because it is in fact a huge undertaking to go as big as we'd like.
Maybe that huge project can still happen, in time, with effective planning and a long-term goal that we undertake with the understanding that it will take considerable time to fully launch.
In the meantime, lets get a few ukes into a few kid's hands!!!
We have a few bucks we can donate, right?
We have a few ukes we can donate, right?
Let's find someone who needs the money, and/or the ukes, and just DO this, on WHATEVER scale we can manage!
All we need to do is get someone to step to the plate and say, "I know who can use the instruments....I'll get them in their hands", and then WE SEND THEM OUR UKES AND OUR MONEY! It's THAT simple!
Are we afraid we'll get scammed by one of our own?
That will NOT happen!
Come on guys......let's not let all the red tape kill this....let's help a few kids!

h-drix
06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
whoo, since im working the mermorial day area ill have some tip money, where do i sign the dotted line?

lovemissheather
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
i don't mind starting small. as long as we are doing something, and as long as we're not losing the idea.

:)

h-drix
07-01-2008, 02:50 AM
if the mods could make this a sticky so it never gets pushed down that would be great.

Ian Boys
07-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Though I have only just realized that this topic existed, and have not read every single post, I believe I have a good idea of what's going on...

And I agree with valerie in that starting small is a good idea. It'll be easier to manage, and will give us a chance to work out the kinks in the system so, should we choose to take it to another stage, the transition will be much cleaner than starting big from scratch.

And I am liking the hospital idea, so are we saying that we just need to select a hospital based on how close it is to members and contact the hospital staff to see if they would allow us to start up a program?

Valerie
07-01-2008, 11:10 AM
As of right now this is what I could do to help:

-10 bucks towards a uke/ pitch pipes/ whatever.

That's about it. I'm in the middle of a clinical right now and have only about 300 bucks to my name that has to last me the next 6x weeks (mom and dad are more than willing to bail me out if it comes to zero- but I'd rather that not happen...) But come august I could up that money to probably be enough to buy a starter uke/ I have one I can donate. (as I will actually be working a job where I get paid again...)

In my home area there is also a children's hospital I could look into- but I'm guessing that it would be a no go there as they are incredibly strick about volunteers and things. And with school I don't really have time to jump through hoops. I *could* however, at least give it a shot to see if it would fly- once I get back home in august.

And just to say it again. I do like the idea of starting small and local to one of the members- as that member (if they so wished) could give the kids the ukes in person.

Ian Boys
07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah... I'm seeing it run as follows:

One hospital is selected, resources pour into starting a program at that hospital.

Depending on success at that hospital, we put funding into starting a program at another hospital (we could have Ukes 4 Kids 'chapters' in each area in which a hospital on our list is located).

Over time, the program grows, more people become active in it, more funds pour in, etc. etc.

I say we take our time to do things correctly, so we don't overstep and fall down into some vortex of logistical hell or legal matters, causing the whole program to crash.

RON<>VA
07-01-2008, 04:38 PM
This all sounds great. I'm good for one starter ukulele. And I would suggest either the hospital idea already mentioned or some youth community work in a low income area like an inner-city program.

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 04:45 AM
This all sounds great. I'm good for one starter ukulele. And I would suggest either the hospital idea already mentioned or some youth community work in a low income area like an inner-city program.

who is to say that we can't all start little projects such as this?

the hospital is a GREAT idea.
as is donating to kids classes so each child can afford a ukulele.
as is the yearly contest idea that seeso mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

the way i see it... we can take part in all of these.
we just need a few people to take charge of certain projects.
one for the hospital idea
one for the kids classes
and if we can do the contest thing without the legal stuff, then someone to do that (i need to look more into that).

all in all, we can get this stuff done fairly easily, and give a lot of children the gift of music.

now it doesn't get any better than that :D

i posted a video on youtube last night in regards to these ideas. refferred them to this website, and i am going to add a link to this thread tonight when i get home.

i have a feeling we can go far with this, even while starting off small.
so lets start getting organized.
i'm all for taking it slow...
but that doesnt mean we should slow down the organization process.

lets get some fundraisers together.
lets get some benefit shows.
lets promote for donations.
lets promote UU and this thread.

there are lots of people out there willing to pitch in. :)

one thing i think we do need to do for each project... is figure out who will be handling the donated ukuleles and money.
how is this going to work?

ideas...?

KamakaTexas
07-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Since I'm the one who threw a wrench in the locomotive works, let me see if I can pull it back out and retrieve it in an attempt to get the wheels rolling again.

I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud here. I had been trying to compose an announcement regarding the start-up of the U4K project to disseminate to the UU membership, in hopes that the UU staff could take it and email it to all the members. In trying to describe the project, I could speak only to the most general of details since nothing is truly established in the way of mission statement or goals, just to name a couple of items. I made a lot of assumptions that, upon reflection, maybe I shouldn't have made. It became increasingly difficult to set out details based on assumptions, and so I scratched my draft to take a different tack.

Please don't hate me for jamming up the works, but I'm fixing to do a 180. I still think it's a good idea to inform the entire membership first, but we have limited concrete details to offer at this point, so perhaps we should go ahead and create a board, apply for 501(c)(3) status and get that into the works, let the board start working on initial planning and go from there, and in the meantime we can still send out an announcement if we want to and also inform the membership of developments as they occur. Participation from the membership will surely grow with time. (As of now, there are 13 members signed up in the U4K user-created social group.)

One thing that I was wondering about falls under the category of legal questions. On the UU forum, under "Site Suggestions," Deach had asked the UU staff if they would be receptive to this project idea and if they would want to be affiliated with it, and also mentioned that we would want to use the UU name. Ryan had indicated that there's legal stuff that needs to be taken care of before the UU can be associated with it.

I don't know what all legal stuff is entailed, but it would seem to me that if the U4K wanted to use the UU name (and I think we would want to, of course, for promotion, for legitimacy, for advertising, to ride the tails of UU popularity, etc.) the UU would have to grant us permission to use it and would need to be shielded from liability. I don't know how formal or informal an agreement between the two entities has to be in order to allow U4K to use the UU name. That calls for a legal opinion. For planning purposes, I'm thinking that this might be an issue that would need to be clarified before we advance too far along in our preparations.

If sending an announcement now or later to the entire UU membership meets with everyone's approval and/or agreement, we could send a very general initial note similar to the one I've sketched out below. Assuming that we'd want to send a message out, I'm hoping that the UU staff can take it and email it out for us. It is purely a suggestion, and the wording could certainly be improved upon, so please feel free to change, correct, add, or totally rewrite:

Plans are underway to organize a nonprofit charitable organization to donate and place ukuleles and the world of music into the hands of underprivileged and deserving children wanting to learn to play. Your ideas, suggestions, input, expertise, and donations are being sought to help organize and implement this worthy endeavor.

A user-created social group in UU has been established by Alan/UkiSociety entitled "'Ukes 4 Kids' Ukulele Donation Group." Please join if you are interested in helping with this program. Joining the group will make it easier to keep you abreast of developing news regarding the project.

So I propose that we go ahead and organize a board, apply for nonprofit status, and attempt to resolve the issue of using the UU name, if indeed it is a legal issue. In the meantime, while we're waiting, we could go ahead and work on any number of small, informal projects much like we did for Bill/MisterUke's class. School will be starting up again in late August or early September. We could search and target one or two teachers' classes, define the need and goal, start pooling money and ukulele donations, and try to fulfill that goal by the time school starts. That's merely a suggestion. There's so many things we could do. In looking for a client, surely there are online music teacher networks that we could tap into, or maybe someone already knows of a group with a definite need.

I had other comments to offer, but I'll address those in another post. Everyone has been ready to move forward with this project for a while. I'm sorry I slowed down the process. I'm burying all my wrenches.

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
it's not a big deal that it stopped for a while. all in all, the idea is still with us and that's all that matters. i understand why you were hesitant... and while several others were as well. so there is no need at all to say you're sorry. NONE. got it? :)

i think this is a great idea. the letter sounded amazing, and of course we should speak with those running UU in regards to what these legal issues are and how they can be taken care of. I do know that Ryan stated that they were interested in being affiliated with the U4K program.

As I said in my last post, we can start little projects prior to the legal stuff.. though, it would be best to start forming a "team" in which we can assign people jobs and get everything organized. I propose we have another thread or survey via UU to where we can take candidates (people who have offered to help) and have UU members vote.

Even though U4K isn't very widely spread throughout UU just yet... we could always change our board later if we wanted to add people, and we could always take input from other people who are both simply in the public and those who are helping out with the program (whether it be by planning, making donations, or simply being supportive). For those of you who may still be hesitant, I guarantee you that things will be okay with stepping forward. Lawyers (as someone had mentioned a while ago), although helpful, are not needed to get the paperwork done. And if we want one, i'm sure SOMEONE either is one or knows one who would help somewhere on UU... or even through friends and family.

ouch, my arms hurt from typing.
shall we go ahead with the voting process? I believe that the "candidates" are listed somewhere on this thread. now to go through all of the past pages to find them....

salukulady
07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Sorry, it's the 5th of July at 12:04AM and I've had way too much to drink, can't really worry about this now, but will care tomorrow.......Happy Daze everyone!

lovemissheather
07-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry, it's the 5th of July at 12:04AM and I've had way too much to drink, can't really worry about this now, but will care tomorrow.......Happy Daze everyone!

good luck in not being hungover :) looking forward to your input!

freedive135
09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Is this still on the back burner simmering away needing someone to turn up the flame?

Or

Am I opening up a can of worms best left alone????

rayan
09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Everyone who was part of the Ukes 4 Kids movement should be very excited about something we're doing very soon!

Melissa82
01-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Hey guys, this was a really awesome idea and it looked like a lot of the complicated stuff was figured out. Whatever happened to it? I'm offering to help in whatever it is my help may be needed.

seeso
01-13-2010, 07:02 AM
I was just too scared to lead it, I think. Not sure why it died.

JKoval
01-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Well, I and another user, geoffsuke, are trying to start a similiar program... this could blend!