"A" Strings Sits To Low In Nut Groove

Boomer

Reaction score
We just bought our daughter a Makala Dolphin uke. The "A" string sits to low in the nut groove. It may in fact be touching the 1st fret, if it doesn’t then it’s super close. So, the string buzzes when we play it.

Is there a way to raise the string correctly? Right now I put a little tiny piece of paper in the groove to raise the sting.

Thanks for any help.

Super glue. Once dried, re file to correct depth.

Try and protect either side of the nut (fingerboard and headstock) when you are adding super glue to the nut slot. Masking tape helps keep the glue off the finish and fingerboard.

Yup....don't use the thin stuff. Get medium or thick or it will run all over everything

Yes, let me clarify. medium ca is the stuff to use. Apply the smallest drop you can to the end of a pin and "draw" it into the slot rather than drop filling it. Done correctly, you should be filling only the sides and bottom of the slot and nothing else. If you are using accelerant to kick the glue off, apply that in the same manner as well. Accelerant will also tear a finish up. A little dab will do ya!

Last edited:
Aloha boomer,
If the ukulele is new, take it back to exchange or let them deal with it...If you try to
fix it you may void the warranty.. if the paper works, then the groove is low..I've had
a ukulele with the paper in for over two years and it does fine....but my suggestion is
take it back first..you paid for a working instrument, no less! MM Stan...
If you bought a new car and it made a squeeking noise under the hood, You'd take
it back know...it's unacceptable... Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!!

I agree with mmstan, go back to the dealer and get things fixed there.

Regarding the superglue method, I use this too, but I first fill the groove with bone powder, then mask both sides of the nut, and then add superglue. This makes it easier to fill the groove completely. Make the bone powder by rubbing a piece of bone over fine sandpaper....

Thanks for the replies. Great info. I agree with the warranty idea, but we really bought these as more of a toy. (hope I can say that). We bought two, one for each daughter (6 years & 3 1/2 years). They were really inexspensive, and it's a long drive to the store, so using super glue seems to be the best route to me. Thanks for the replies and the descritption on how to apply the super glue.

Top Bottom