PDA

View Full Version : About the different kinds

Rintintin
06-15-2008, 02:05 PM
What is the difference between soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles other than the size?

deach
06-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Sound, price, number of frets.

Rintintin
06-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Any more detailed explanation of the differences? What are they good for? Which is more comfortable to play? etc

deach
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

Kanaka916
06-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Uke Minutes 3 (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/01/27/uke-minutes-3-ukulele-sizes/)

tad
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

Fun but expensive...

Poi Dog
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Uke Minutes 3 (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/01/27/uke-minutes-3-ukulele-sizes/)

http://poi-dog.net/emoticons/1.gif

brokenwing
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
rintintin,
the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant" tuning on soprano and concert where the C tuning (GCEA) G string is an octave higher, giving that signature uke sound.

Howlin Hobbit
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant"...

Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?

Keonikapila
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?

Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick

berylbite
06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Out of the various types of ukulele's I`d personally recommend a soprano for starts. Something cheap you know, the soprano allows you to get the general idea of what the heart of this little instrument is and how one is played.

My first ukulele was a thirty dollar piece of laminate with a plastic fret board. I remember discussing how hilarious it would be if I walked around with an ukulele all day, bugging people at the checkout line and sarcastically macking on chicks in the mall. So I buy this little toy, learned those three lovely chords C, F, and G7, fell in love with it and preceded to play it too pieces. THEN and only then did I decide to buy something substantial.

brokenwing
06-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick
How about that? Thanks for the smack in the head, HH & Keonikapila.:) Mine arrived low-G and I had read about tenors being strung low-G and assumed that was the accepted practice. hmmmm...

Rintintin
06-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks everyone. I've pretty much been leaning towards the soprano all along.
I just don't want to go wrong as I spend all my money on ocarinas, which means not a whole lot left for ukuleles :rofl:

Keonikapila
06-17-2008, 06:38 AM
How about that? Thanks for the smack in the head, HH & Keonikapila.:) Mine arrived low-G and I had read about tenors being strung low-G and assumed that was the accepted practice. hmmmm...

Sorry...didn't mean to dog pile on you!:D

brokenwing
06-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Sorry...didn't mean to dog pile on you!:Dyou kidding? I'm always happy to have someone straighten me out.:D I always appreciate being shown the error of my ways.

Keonikapila
06-17-2008, 09:09 AM
you kidding? I'm always happy to have someone straighten me out.:D I always appreciate being shown the error of my ways.

well, in that case, I hope you learned your lesson!:D

brokenwing
06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
hey, keonikapila,
is that a super concert or a tenor in your vids? excellent playing, amigo.:worship:

Keonikapila
06-17-2008, 10:00 AM
hey, keonikapila,
is that a super concert or a tenor in your vids? excellent playing, amigo.:worship:

They're all tenors, and thanks for the compliment!

Howlin Hobbit
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
you kidding? I'm always happy to have someone straighten me out.:D I always appreciate being shown the error of my ways.

I'm so down with that. How am I supposed to learn if someone doesn't catch my screwups?

I'm also way down with just asking. I'm constantly shocked at the number of people that are happy to bumble along because they think it's "embarassing" to ask someone who knows.

Sheesh.

The day I hit perfection I'll be sure to let everyone know (but don't like, hold your breath). Until then, I'll not be embarassed to say "I dunno, tell me."

Lanark
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I just don't want to go wrong as I spend all my money on ocarinas, which means not a whole lot left for ukuleles :rofl:

Is that so you can play "Wild Thing" in every key? :p

(I just got a Kelii soprano today. I've been playing a concert. I'll need a week or two to figure out how the soprano wants to be played.)

brokenwing
06-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm so down with that. How am I supposed to learn if someone doesn't catch my screwups?

I'm also way down with just asking. I'm constantly shocked at the number of people that are happy to bumble along because they think it's "embarassing" to ask someone who knows.

Sheesh.

The day I hit perfection I'll be sure to let everyone know (but don't like, hold your breath). Until then, I'll not be embarassed to say "I dunno, tell me."
So, HH, I'm gonna assume you're also OK with asking directions when you're on the road and lost.;) Apparently in our culture, if you're male, that's a sign of weakness (talk about a screwed-up culture).
RULE #1: If you don't know; ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. The stupidity lies in not asking when you don't know.

Howlin Hobbit
06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
So, HH, I'm gonna assume you're also OK with asking directions when you're on the road and lost.

You betcher bippy. It's way more macho to get where you're going than to wander around lost, doncha think?

Kekani
06-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Funny, you're right up the street from me, and all of the players I know string low g. Scratch that, all of the builders I know, here, build and string low g Tenors - custom, and off the shelf (as you stated). Must be the Sakuma influence. Of course, my kids go to Terry Brown in Waipahu, and since he's an IZ fan, and was taught by Ohta-san, Eddie Kamae, Peter Moon et al, he's all low g as well. Of course, its his double picking and slack-key that pretty much lends to that extra octave anyway.

Save for one friend, he tunes low a.