About the different kinds

Rintintin

Reaction score
What is the difference between soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles other than the size?

Any more detailed explanation of the differences? What are they good for? Which is more comfortable to play? etc

Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

Fun but expensive...

1.gif

rintintin,
the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant" tuning on soprano and concert where the C tuning (GCEA) G string is an octave higher, giving that signature uke sound.

Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?

Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick

Out of the various types of ukulele's I`d personally recommend a soprano for starts. Something cheap you know, the soprano allows you to get the general idea of what the heart of this little instrument is and how one is played.

My first ukulele was a thirty dollar piece of laminate with a plastic fret board. I remember discussing how hilarious it would be if I walked around with an ukulele all day, bugging people at the checkout line and sarcastically macking on chicks in the mall. So I buy this little toy, learned those three lovely chords C, F, and G7, fell in love with it and preceded to play it too pieces. THEN and only then did I decide to buy something substantial.

Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick
How about that? Thanks for the smack in the head, HH & Keonikapila.:) Mine arrived low-G and I had read about tenors being strung low-G and assumed that was the accepted practice. hmmmm...

Thanks everyone. I've pretty much been leaning towards the soprano all along.
I just don't want to go wrong as I spend all my money on ocarinas, which means not a whole lot left for ukuleles :rofl:

hey, keonikapila,
is that a super concert or a tenor in your vids? excellent playing, amigo.:worship:

you kidding? I'm always happy to have someone straighten me out.:D I always appreciate being shown the error of my ways.

I'm so down with that. How am I supposed to learn if someone doesn't catch my screwups?

I'm also way down with just asking. I'm constantly shocked at the number of people that are happy to bumble along because they think it's "embarassing" to ask someone who knows.

Sheesh.

The day I hit perfection I'll be sure to let everyone know (but don't like, hold your breath). Until then, I'll not be embarassed to say "I dunno, tell me."

Top Bottom