Is it just me?

Bobasan

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am very new to the ukulele, coming at it from a classical guitar background, and I am wondering is it just me or is it everyone who gets into playing the ukulele gets a little goofy/happy? I bring this up from watching a number of different "serious" musicians I play with on a regular basis. I've had of them all play my ukulele and it was like I flipped a switch and turned them into smiling giggling goofs. Most are getting their own instruments as a result. Now when I play most any kind of music I am normally a smiling giggling goof so I didn't notice this behavioral change in myself but seeing it in my musician friends is very amusing. I'm just curious if this is the norm for this little two octave treat?

Bobasan

Ahhhh....that is what happens when a uke is played, people get happy!!!!

I showed 3 electric guitar players at work my Eleuke yesterday. This is exactly what happened. They got all giddy and didn't want to give it back.

I can't help but grin like a Cheshire Cat with my Ukuleles I even sold my electric guitar in order to buy a Kala. Boy I was smiling that day. A fun and happy instrument.

I play with a group which meets at different locations and I can swear that it takes longer to get there than to get back home.

Last night we played up a Lawson, about a 40 minute drive away.

We car pool so we had four of us in the car and on the way home we had a classic rock station on and we were all singing along without a care in the world.

I came from a background in classical guitar as well. If anything, I'd say CGers take themselves way too seriously. Things like using an electronic tuner or playing from tab are considered blasphemy. And heaven forbid you be self taught, because we all know you can't learn to play "properly" without a qualified teacher or if you don't have a "proper" instrument that costs over $1,000. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the uke is just plain fun. Most players are self taught, electronic tuners are encouraged, as is tab, and you can buy a playable uke for less than the cost of one hour of a CG lesson. :)

Hi all,

So I am very new to the ukulele, coming at it from a classical guitar background, and I am wondering is it just me or is it everyone who gets into playing the ukulele gets a little goofy/happy? I bring this up from watching a number of different "serious" musicians I play with on a regular basis. I've had of them all play my ukulele and it was like I flipped a switch and turned them into smiling giggling goofs. Most are getting their own instruments as a result. Now when I play most any kind of music I am normally a smiling giggling goof so I didn't notice this behavioral change in myself but seeing it in my musician friends is very amusing. I'm just curious if this is the norm for this little two octave treat?

Bobasan

the uke when you play it you just can not help but ::):)

I think this is true, I am new (less than two weeks) however, from the minute I saw the first rock/alternative tune on you tube a few years ago. I have thought and thought about 'wishing' I could play like that. After years, of listening to that video, and a few others, I finally bought one. I love it. Just knowing I can come home and strum makes me smile. I have given up TV/movie time at night to 'practice (and boy I need it) but I am having so much fun! I feel so young and alive... I am excited to tell everyone, although most people think I am a bit ridiculous! I don't care!!
Can't wait to get another... found a group practically meets out my door (few miles away) can't wait to go and listen and learn from them! I had to go run errands tonight and all I could think about was getting home to play! Is that a phase? Or is that feeling here to stay?

I really was beginning to wonder if it was just me and my cohorts experiencing this "phenomenon".

Here are a few other interesting/strange things that I've noticed since I got my ukulele:

1. Once I show my non musician friends a three or four chord progression they are off and running and I can't get my uke back without physical intervention. (Is this why everyone here usually has a collection of them?)

2. I live backed up to a park and regularly play guitar out on my deck when the weather is nice. Occasionally people will stop and listen but generally they just pass on by. I've played the ukulele a few times out back now and each time people stopped, listened for a while and commented. Nice comments even ;)

3. I can switch much more readily between the ukulele and my classical guitar than I can between say my resonator and the classical guitar, strange.

All in all I have to say I am having an absolute blast with my ukulele.

Bobasan

The minute I bought my first ukulele music started to be fun again. I was getting bored with it up to that fateful day. A real shout out to whoever invented the ukulele! (I have not studied the history of the uke)

Really, I played elec, & acou guitar for yrssss.. I was so old, I tried mando , banjo , whistle, harmonica, flutes , seems every thing but the triangle,,,, and this uke is more fun than them all. I literally PRAY that I dont lose interest in it due to my ADD
Steve

Hi all,

Bobasan

There are two types of Ukulele players: Those who get goofy after they pick up a uke and those who are already goofy and find the uke a perfect fit.

/I'm in the latter catagory.

There are two types of Ukulele players: Those who get goofy after they pick up a uke and those who are already goofy and find the uke a perfect fit.

/I'm in the latter catagory.

Me too Alan ,, althought I hate to admit ,, and spend time trying to mask it, oh well Im a goffy goober , were all goffy goobers yeah spongebob

Top Bottom