Made in China??

dianalele

Reaction score
Just how many ukulele brands are made in China?
I dunno, I was just surprised to find out that Kala is made in China.
Then that got me thinking where all the other brands are made.
Im curious now, does anyone know where other brands are from?
What brands are actually made in Hawaii? Or at least in the US?

Kala/makala- China
Cordoba- Portugal? I think

As is Keli'i and Sonny D.

Aloha Dianalele,
Alot of ukes are made overseas as labor and operating costs are really cheap.
I would think most, but not all of asian counties make them now..
There are quite a number of builders in Hawaii, but as it gets more popular
alot more builders are starting to jump on the bandwagon for the ride....
BTW- when can we expect a new song from Dianalele???Jus enjoy your stuff...
Take Care!!and Aloha.....MM Stan..

Last edited:
I could be mistaken but I think MGM had a list a while back pertaining to where most ukulele brands are manufactured. Maybe someone will have the time to dig up the old post. The vast majority of ukes today are produced overseas including China, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and many others. Some are doing a pretty good job at it and they represent a good value. A lot of them use Hawaiian sounding brand names and many may lead you to believe the wood comes from Hawaii or that the wood is similar to koa. Even some of the Hawaiian based companies have a secondary line of imported ukes to offer their customer base a wider selection. In my opinion, the best thing about these imported ukes is that they are able to produce a ukulele that will fit anyone's pocket book and as a result, get them into more hands. The more ukuleles we have, the better place this world is to live.
In the end, the old adage applies in that you usually get what you pay for and for whatever reasons, the Hawaiian built ukulele will probably always be the most coveted (if not the most expensive.)

Chinese made big name 'ukulele are Kala, Lanikai, Ohana, Mainland, Makai, Pono (new) to name a few. Indonesia- Oscar Schmidt, Pono (old). Vietnam- Honu, Tangi.
USA- Fluke, Flea (not counting small scale luthiers). Add Ko'olau to the Hawai'i list.

Mainlands aren't made in Indonesia?

Last edited:
how about the kamoa? are those made in china just set up in hawaii? just want to make sure my info is right

Don't be discouraged just because it's made in China. Chinese artisans have been producing great wooden products for thousands of years. I believe a great deal of the quality depends on how closely the parent company oversees things in China. I have a new PONO MPT-E that is just flawless in build quality and I'm very particular. Many Chinese finishes are quite thick to cover imperfections, but the finish on the PONO is perfect, thin enough to still feel and see the grain through the finish. I have 2 chinese built guitars and one other Chinese built uke, but PONO is clearly doing something special with their new series of ukes. It all depends on the company.

how about the kamoa? are those made in china just set up in hawaii? just want to make sure my info is right

Last I heard, this is true.

I used to be biased against imported instruments, but a lot of really impressive ones are made in China and Indonesia and Vietnam these days.

Chinese factories are as good as the management. The people are hard-working and do a good job over-all. Quality is improving as raw materials get better. Now is a great time to buy an imported ukulele, because the quality is the best it has ever been. By the way, some of the Oscar Schmidt ukes are made on the Island of Java.

Mahalo, Leolani, and Eleuke are also Chinese made. Anuenue is made in Taiwan. I know at the time my interest in 'ukuleles rekindled all I could afford was an import Mahalo and probably would have been discouraged from pursuing the 'ukulele if I had to invest in a Hawaiian made 'ukulele they being priced way beyond my means at the time.

Made in China by same factory that I believe makes Bushman, Ohana, and Makai.

Thanks. Believe me, not complaining. Had the day off today and went to Chinatown NYC with my wife...after lunch I got a $5 (not joking here) haircut better than haircuts in NJ costing 3 times the price (I tip that lady almost the price of the haircut). Do I have to post pics, LOL???

Later went to a vintage shop in Teaneck and played a Martin 5K (used, sale price $3300)...I joked with the owner of the shop, "I'm looking for a Martin 0.05K."

I'm happy with my Mainlands.

Of the well-known Chinese manufactured brands, I have a Mainland and three Kalas, and I have played some Lanaikais and Ohanas, as well as a newer Pono. All of them are very nice, very well-made instruments. As mentioned above, I think the management has a lot to do with the quality, as well as how much input and Quality Control the parent company has. For example, I believe Mike Upton from Kala has really worked hard to assure that Kalas are really nice instruments for the money.

Hi Dianalele,

The Martin S O ukulele is made in Mexico, not flashy but a nice instrument.
Cordoba's are made in Portugal. Just my 2cents.

Cheers.

Aloha Dianalele,
Alot of ukes are made overseas as labor and operating costs are really cheap.
I would think most, but not all of asian counties make them now..
There are quite a number of builders in Hawaii, but as it gets more popular
alot more builders are starting to jump on the bandwagon for the ride....
BTW- when can we expect a new song from Dianalele???Jus enjoy your stuff...
Take Care!!and Aloha.....MM Stan..

That makes sense. thanks.

Probably no new videos for a while. Classes start up again next week and I'm busier than ever. I appreciate you asking though!

Kiwaya ukes are made in Japan. These instruments are very highly regarded. I have a KTS-7 that looks very Martin-esque and sounds outstanding. I certainly would not be afraid of buying another Kiwaya even if it is imported.

Allen

Top Bottom