String Question...

tad

Reaction score
I'm looking for the thickest, most heavy-duty Nylon strings you can find for a Soprano. Sound is secondary to being thick and strong.

I've got a metal-body resonator with a metal bridge. It tears up thin strings and non-nylons while it's being strung-- I know-- I've consumed two sets of Worth browns and two or three sets of Martin nylons trying to string it. It cuts into 'em at the bridge and the string pops off.

I need something thick and heavy.

Are GHS's the best option?
Any better string that is that thick and hardcore, that might sound a bit better?

I suppose then that it's not just the G-string you need? The Worth low G EX (Extra High Density) is so thick and dense is hardly resonates on a regular wooden soprano, especially if you fret it above the 3rd or 4th fret. *PLUNK*
I would be surprised if it breaks, unless you hang a car over a cliff with it. Suspense! Next, three more strings to find.

Jason Arimoto (facemeltingukulele) uses strings that are nylon with a metal core. These sound like the strings you want. I'll message him about this thread.

Jason Arimoto (facemeltingukulele) uses strings that are nylon with a metal core. These sound like the strings you want. I'll message him about this thread.

They're Thomastik-infeld classical guitar strings (KN16 is the highest string) I'm not sure what the name of the set is since I buy my strings individually. I don't think they'll work for you since they're nylon wrapped and your bridge will probably cut right through the nylon. Anyway you can get a new bridge? Or maybe file down the grooves to make it less sharp.

Whats the difference between Soprano and Concert strings? Are Concert strings thicker or just longer? If they are thicker maybe you can put Concert strings on it. I've never done this before though so I'm not sure how it would sound.

Whats the difference between Soprano and Concert strings? Are Concert strings thicker or just longer? If they are thicker maybe you can put Concert strings on it. I've never done this before though so I'm not sure how it would sound.

I think they are just longer. I ordered some Worth's and they are labeled Sop/Con. So for me, it's actually two sets of strings.

They're Thomastik-infeld classical guitar strings (KN16 is the highest string) I'm not sure what the name of the set is since I buy my strings individually. I don't think they'll work for you since they're nylon wrapped and your bridge will probably cut right through the nylon. Anyway you can get a new bridge? Or maybe file down the grooves to make it less sharp.

I'm not sure I'd go about filing the metal down, though I think that seems like a good idea-- here's a picture of the uke in question. The holes that hold the strings-- not the bridge, technically speaking-- are the problem. How would one go about filing down those holes? Any idea?

Also, though, I might think about those strings... the holes aren't cutting through all nylon... GHS's had no problems. Just had problems with fluorocarbons, and Martin strings are hella thin...

I'm just trying to gage what brands may be thicker or thinnner...

I suppose then that it's not just the G-string you need? The Worth low G EX (Extra High Density) is so thick and dense is hardly resonates on a regular wooden soprano, especially if you fret it above the 3rd or 4th fret. *PLUNK*
I would be surprised if it breaks, unless you hang a car over a cliff with it. Suspense! Next, three more strings to find.

Actually, the Worth browns were fine on the center two strings... it's my 1 and 4 strings that're giving me problems.

I think it's a question of length, but in general, for a lot of manufacturers, not even that...

I think there's multiple manufacturers that make strings in "Soprano/Concert" size...

But I wonder-- are Tenor strings a different gauge? (The uke's a concert already...) Or is there a risk they'd be puttting too much pressure on the uke...?

First, NylGut concert gauge are thicker than the sopranos. I use concert strings on all three of my sopranos. The only uke without concert gauge is the sopranino. Soprano gauge on that one.

Second, you can get shrink wrap tubing that's much like pulling the insulation off of a wire. In fact, getting a chunk of the proper gauge wire and pulling off pieces of the insulation would probably work.

String it on your strings like you would thread a bead. A piece about 1/2" to 3/4" in length should do it. The knot at the end of the string will keep it from slipping off and it will be the thing contacting the holes. Should have no effect on the sound as it's not inside the scale length.

Holes

Thanks for the pic, that puts things in prospective. Looks like a standard reso biscuit bridge made out of wood? which should be just fine on the strings. Is there anyway you can line the holes in the bridge or sadle or whatever you'd call said holes with felt or something soft so the strings wouldn't rub against the metal and start getting cut? Maybe something like masking tape would work if you don't care about asthetics. The other thing you could do is put on some classical guitar strings which are thicker than uke strings. Use the high "E" for both the uke "G" and "A" strings. Maybe you could try worth Tenor strings? I think they're thicker, check the gauge. Sweet looking uke!

Top Bottom