thumb knuckle

d-mace

Reaction score
My right thumb knuckle has been aching badly for the past 6+ weeks. I primarily use my thumb to play and I'm wondering if I've over used it or if arthritis is kicking in since I just turned 40. I'm having a hard time letting it rest and recover because I keep wanting to play. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any cures?

I would have it check out do doubt, and rest until it heals..six weeks is a long time...worst senerio, becomes permanent..
I hope that gets your attention....not to scare you, but be aware of the conciequences...after all you said 40...Good Luck
Buddy....MM Stan...

Maybe switch to strumming until it feels better? Go see a doctor though...

My right thumb knuckle has been aching badly for the past 6+ weeks. I primarily use my thumb to play and I'm wondering if I've over used it or if arthritis is kicking in since I just turned 40. I'm having a hard time letting it rest and recover because I keep wanting to play. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any cures?

Ugh.. I'm 45 and I don't even want to THINK about the "A" word. Hopefully it is something more like a strained tendon. I had that once in my main bass-plucking finger, and it lasted a few weeks and made bass-playing a really difficult proposition. Have you tried icing it? You should see a doctor if you can, but occasionally icing it might help. It helped my finger (along with rest and anti-inflamatories).

Go get it checked out by a medical professional (Dr. Google doesn't count).

Ugh.. I'm 45 and I don't even want to THINK about the "A" word.

I've had arthritis since I was 13. Suck it up.

I too am a thumb strummer, and I too turned 40 last year, and I too had the exact same thing happen to me. I was over zealous in playing one time, and all of a sudden realized my knuckle was very sore! I don't remember how long it lasted, but I was concerned. I think it was a few weeks and it started going away, I didn't play uke much then, and now (Over a year later), I'm back to power THUMB STRUMMING!!!

Best of luck to you!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Thanks all for the support/advice....I'm going to have to push a bit harder with my doctor. I saw him a few weeks ago for a shoulder injury and mentioned the thumb and he kind of brushed me off. Told me to take some time off and gave me some Celebrex for the shoulder and said it should help the thumb....it didn't!

Thanks also for the ice reminder. For some reason I never ever think of doing that yet it seems like one of the best cure-alls!

Go get it checked out by a medical professional (Dr. Google doesn't count).

I've had arthritis since I was 13. Suck it up.

OUCH!!!! Easy there MarySue!!!!

If the joint has not been getting better with some rest, get thee to the Doc and find out what is going on!

anyone ever hear of or try the infamous gin soaked golden raisin remedy for arthritic pain. you soak golden raisins in gin for about a week until the gin is absorbed. you then eat 9 raisins a day and it is supposed to relieve arthritic pain. hmmmmm???

No, but hell......it is worth a try!!!! :drool:

anyone ever hear of or try the infamous gin soaked golden raisin remedy for arthritic pain. you soak golden raisins in gin for about a week until the gin is absorbed. you then eat 9 raisins a day and it is supposed to relieve arthritic pain. hmmmmm???

Is it that the pain is gone or you don't notice the pain anymore? Either way it sounds good.

I'm 53 and I don't have arthritis. Yet.

Hope you thumb gets better. Go to another doctor if you need to.

That seems a little harsh. All I meant was I hope I don't get it.

And what I meant was if you get it, it's not the end of your life, and everyone moaning about how awful it is just annoys the heck out of me. I'm 30, which means I've had arthritis in all my joints for well over half my life now, and in the intervening 17 years I've:

1) played bass, ukulele, clarinet, and even did a bash-away at piano,
2) competed in and won modern dance competitions,
3) hiked Mt Fuji in Japan and Mt Tabor in Portland,
4) walked two marathons.

Arthritis and any other inflammation of the joints is manageable, if you take care of yourself, know your limits, and keep a good open dialog with your doctor.

I'm having the same problem...and I've only been playing for 2 weeks!! What intrigues and annoys me is it's my right thumb which isn't doing very much - just following my fingers about as they strum! Unfortunately I think it may be an RSI issue though I can't work out why exactly. If anyone can shed light on this eg holding the uke differently with right arm; exercises to help whole arm; will chopping thumb off solve problem etc please let me know. I can't believe how painful one bit of me can be so quickly!

If you're having pain in your strumming hand, then you're probably holding it too stiffly. While I've had some uncomfortable moments with my left hand when trying new chords, I've never had issues with my strumming hand. Don't clench any of the joints, just let them wiggle and be flexible.

But yeah... get it seen by a doctor if it doesn't go away. :)

Thanks for posting NatalieS...unfortunately I've been really careful and I'm not clenching my strumming hand at all!! I wish it was that simple. It's ironic that playing the ukulele is just perfect for my mental health/stress etc and now I need to see someone for my body! Think I'll have to take it a bit more slowly and yes, see a doctor or physio.

I had good luck with a little rest and the gin and raisins...see above.

And what I meant was if you get it, it's not the end of your life, and everyone moaning about how awful it is just annoys the heck out of me. I'm 30, which means I've had arthritis in all my joints for well over half my life now, and in the intervening 17 years I've:

1) played bass, ukulele, clarinet, and even did a bash-away at piano,
2) competed in and won modern dance competitions,
3) hiked Mt Fuji in Japan and Mt Tabor in Portland,
4) walked two marathons.

Arthritis and any other inflammation of the joints is manageable, if you take care of yourself, know your limits, and keep a good open dialog with your doctor.

This is truly an inspirational post.

BTW... Eric Clapton has battled arthritis for years.

Top Bottom