My Steel Stringed Electric Soprano is Done!

PJB

Reaction score
You may remember me from my thread asking about steel soprano strings, and after following advice given there, I completed my electric uke! Only one picture at this time, if encouraged, I may post more.

uke & new instru & Hindostan 007.jpg

Thinking about Steampunkifying it, with copper pipes and radio tubes and whatnot. We'll see.

Yes! Steampunkify it! Get some watch gears and a vacuum diode or two and you're gold.
I really like the look you went for with this. All too often, you see the straight stick look or the straight stick with a thin instrument shaped outline look when it comes to electric versions of traditionally acoustic instruments. I think it's cool that it's asymmetrical as well.

It reminds me of the 18th hole at Pebble Beach now that I think about it. haha

If anything, you might try to work something into the headstock. The whole instrument has a really modern look to it until you get to the scrolling top on that headstock. Maybe sand the top flat... If you could inlay a gear or something that would be awesome but it's totally unnecessary. On that note, the only place that any other steampunkifying would really work is right there underneath the strings where none of it would get hit and knocked off. That works, though, because it's clearly visible. It would be cool to wire in one of those lights that looks like a big diode so that it would glow when you play. Maybe that's a little too much, though. haha

Ramblings aside, it looks great!
I can't see volume or tone knobs or anything, though, so if you could take a picture of the back or at least explain how it works, that would be awesome.

Steampunk good. In addition to squaring off the headstock... maybe thin brass or copper plate. It would be so cool if one could find a faux magic eye tube. Iron shut off valve for volum knob... Some copper coils through the body...

Did a quick search: "It turns out that convincing eye tube behavior can be simulated with one or more LEDs mounted on a rotating disk. The electronics to drive the LEDs amounts to little more an an op-amp, a transistor, and some timing components."... slip something like that under glass with a brass retaining ring or something... steampunk it.

Wow, that looks terrific. Nice job!

If possible, would love to see more pics, or even better a video so we can hear this baby.

Top Bottom