Come Home to What?

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Ukuleles!!

I get to see how my paint dried on my Eleuke

oh...and I get my choice of which uke to play. ;)

aadangwithukes2.jpg

hhmmm

ok, maybe I'll post a real color photo of the Eleuke.

aadangdriedeleuke.jpg

I think there was a thread about what to coat acrylics with; but, if somebody knows offhand, let me know in this thread.

You need an acrylic based clear coat, and it needs to be a non yellowing formula otherwise those glorious whites will lose their brightness. You can get a spray on acrylic BUT...the acrylic base must have dried for an absolute minimum of 72 hours and always test first this time will be much longer if the acrylic you have applied is thick. I have painted a couple of ukes, to test the acrylic gloss I used a blank CD which I sanded and painted with acrylic paint ( I only applied two coats so this was a faily thin base ). I left it two days and sprayed an acrylic gloss coat over it and the base colours crazed, cracked and lifted. I tried the same experiment but left the CD for a full week, this time round there were no such issues. Hope this helps.

You need an acrylic based clear coat, and it needs to be a non yellowing formula otherwise those glorious whites will lose their brightness. You can get a spray on acrylic BUT...the acrylic base must have dried for an absolute minimum of 72 hours and always test first this time will be much longer if the acrylic you have applied is thick. I have painted a couple of ukes, to test the acrylic gloss I used a blank CD which I sanded and painted with acrylic paint ( I only applied two coats so this was a faily thin base ). I left it two days and sprayed an acrylic gloss coat over it and the base colours crazed, cracked and lifted. I tried the same experiment but left the CD for a full week, this time round there were no such issues. Hope this helps.

Yes, that helps. I'll let it sit a few more days then coat it.

I'm trying to get my wife to learn with me.

Today, I dragged her out the house and made her carry her Bevan Captain's soprano uke which she loves.

We went to a coffee shop, got coffee and proceeded to teach her at the table. I am impressed with her willingness.

We also found that a local uke store is sprouting up close to us and they are giving lessons all next week. BINGO!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom