Quick Aquila question

BenAlex

Reaction score
When the package tells you that the red string is the 1st string, they are trying to tell you that's it's the G string.... right?

And the E string ain't supposed to be thicker than the C one, no?

If I'm not mistaken, the strings are typically ordered first to last, starting at the one that is at the bottom when you're playing your uke - in other words, GCEA = 4321. The red string would be the A string.

Aloha BenAlex,
The thinnest string should be th "A" string , then the second thinnest it the "G" string , then the third thinnest string is the "E" string
the thickest string is the "C" string, I believe..I hope this helps... MM Stan....
If you hold the ukulele upright or vertical with the neck up...the string order is GCEA from left to right.

Last edited:
I think theres an explanation on the package, atleast it was on my pack of aquilas.

I've seen some with no printing on them, such as the free nylguts I got with a tenor I bought...
I think it's a mass produced ukulele and they bought the strings by volume and tried to cut costs...
They only had the colored round stickers and no explanation on the plain packages...

It is all a bit crazy I suppose. We number strings from the bottom up, but refer to GCEA tuning from top down.. Never understood why!

It is all a bit crazy I suppose. We number strings from the bottom up, but refer to GCEA tuning from top down.. Never understood why!

Because we're all crazy!

Red should be G! I know Mimmo puts the colored dots on the packaging but if you look closer you will see a key on the instructions. Happy playing!!!!

I've played guitar for years before the uke and still I always have to take a second to remember which way it goes. Same thing with reading tabs.. Now is the "a" the top or bottom? I end up playing it upside down on the first try half the time.

At least with the strings I can spot the C string as the widest and work from there.

Top Bottom