What case for your Mainland: Gig bag, hard foam shell, or fancy hard case, or . . .

Ukedani

Reaction score
I was all set to take the plunge on the red cedar soprano but Mike's plum out of 'em at the moment. Now it's case decisions. I saw a cool You Tube vid where I guy had a nice tweed for his. Whatcha got yours in?

I was all set to take the plunge on the red cedar soprano but Mike's plum out of 'em at the moment. Now it's case decisions. I saw a cool You Tube vid where I guy had a nice tweed for his. Whatcha got yours in?

I have the Red Cedar Pineapple, and have it in the hard foam shell (the only one the pineapples fit in, apparently). It works just fine, so far. I have several other ukes with similar or identical cases, and have had no problems. When I get around to getting a Mainland mahogany soprano, I think I will get the alligator-looking case, just for something different. My Martin Style 2 is in a tweed case very similar to the ones he sells, and I like it very much. The only drawback I can see to the tweed or 'gator cases is the price, although it really isn't too bad.

Personal preference, really. What do YOU like best? I prefer hard cases. I have 2 of those, a soft and a flea gig bag. The soft one is lighter, but I think the hard cases offer more protection.

I like hard cases.

Call or email Mike at Uke Republic and tell him to send you the kind of case that Rocky buys for his ukes. Black, shaped, hard case by Kala. Great case, very professional looking and the best part is that stickers adhere to them great.

Call or email Mike at Uke Republic and tell him to send you the kind of case that Rocky buys for his ukes. Black, shaped, hard case by Kala. Great case, very professional looking and the best part is that stickers adhere to them great.

Nice! I don't have any cases that stickers would adhere to worth a hoot!

I have nice padded gig bags for my 2 Mainlands. I also have a tweed concert case, a Fremont tweed rectangular case, and several of the styrofoam/ nylon fabric "hardshell cases". I figure that you can switch out cases as needed for different reasons. So, if your lifestyle needs a little more protection, a wood/ tweed case would give you a lot of protection, at the cost of some weight. SailingUke had a nice case, that was sort of a hybrid between the styrofoam ones and the molded shape of the tweed ones, and even had a zipper lock. You might PM him for more details. The gig bags are nice and lightweight, but you should be more careful with them since there is little protection from crushing. If you need to stack your ukes, a tweed type will be sturdy and flat, and the gig bags and styrofoam hard cases offer more storage pockets.
–Lori

I was recently looking for a hard case for my old Martin because the one it was in looks like it sat in water for 100 years, and was a little broke because UAS has hit hard around here (the one I am building is sucking funds like crazy). I found a Stagg hardshell tweed (had to have something classy for my old girl) at Amazon for $39. It is a great well built little case that looks great, but I cannot attest to sticker adhesion.

Have 2 Uke Crazy cases for my Mainlands. Even space for a Herco...

uke case

I was recently looking for a hard case for my old Martin because the one it was in looks like it sat in water for 100 years, and was a little broke because UAS has hit hard around here (the one I am building is sucking funds like crazy). I found a Stagg hardshell tweed (had to have something classy for my old girl) at Amazon for $39. It is a great well built little case that looks great, but I cannot attest to sticker adhesion.
Aloha TDK,
Even if you case is a beater, I personally think it's worth alot ....wouldn't ever get rid of it....
Just my opinion....Take Care MM Stan..

Actually around the house a gig bag works fine for the dust, when taking it out I prefer a chipboard case of the lightness
and for travel definetly a foam case..I interchange them for the purpose....MM Stan....

I have two cases made by "GATOR" . They are not alligator they are hardshell cases and I think they are great for the money. They are around 60 bucks. Great cases.

I got a gigbag with my mainland mahogany concert. I wish I had the tweed case, it looks awsome but I just didn't want to spend that kind of money for it to sit around my house.

I have my mainland mango pineapple (I sure love the way that sounds - saying it and playing it) in a tweed case I purchased from MGM. Fits perfectly.
--G

Aloha TDK,
Even if you case is a beater, I personally think it's worth alot ....wouldn't ever get rid of it....
Just my opinion....Take Care MM Stan..
Oh no- Kept it of course, just not suitable to protect my uke in 110 degree heat with 15% humidity...certainly suitable as decoration

I have a tweed case for my Mainland. It's a classic look and gets attention from guitar players - very vintage Fender-ishy. Tweed does get dirty and can fray from scratches, etc, but I'm not worried about cosmetics that way - adds charm and shows it actually gets out of the house! Hard cases are worth the investment if your uke is of the delicate variety, i.e. non-Fluke. My next one will likely be the Mainland gator skin, which I plan to keep my CBU in. It fits nicely in the Mainland tweed, but I don't want two of the same size and style confusing me as to which is which. The compartment is small, but I only keep the MiSi charger in there, so it doesn't bother me that it's not more roomy for strings or a tuner or whatever.

I bought a used K-Wave that came in a rectangular tweed case. I don't know the manufacturer, or whether or not it was supplied with the uke when new. It has (imitation) leather trim on the ends and the handle. The only downside is the lack of a cradle for the neck. The uke slips around a bit inside. I'll have to fabricate something to fix it.

The good news is that it arrived with several stickers applied to the fabric by the previous owner, and I have added another, and all are sticking quite well. My experience is that tweed cases CAN have stickers....

Top Bottom