My learning a fingerpicking song

rreffner

Reaction score
I sat down with Ken Middleton's "I am a Pilgrim" two weeks ago. I began by sight reading the tabs while playing, breaking the tune into sections. Once I thought I had the tune in memory I practiced without looking at the tabs. When I forgot or got lost, I played while sight reading again, and so on and so forth. Seemingly 'suddenly' I was able to play it for the first time completely through. Happy with myself I tried playing it again only to get lost. Back to the tabs, only less frequently.

Now, 3 weeks later, playing for various lengths of time during the day, I have it down to where I can play it through without going back to the tab sheet. I'll continue to play it now working on tempo and inflection until it becomes second nature.

I have been playing for a year or so, almost daily and I can't read music so I rely on Youtube videos and tabs. I am 64 years old.

I don't know how this compares to others learning tunes. I have about 10 instrumentals memorized and find I need to play them frequently so I don't forget.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

PS: Thanks Ken

Sounds cool to me! I have also been checking out some of Ken's youtube videos and plan on working on some of his tabs soon. I just got my first tenor a couple of days ago so I need to get some basic strumming down first. btw I'm 54 so it's good to see some ukers in my age range here.

Sounds cool to me! I have also been checking out some of Ken's youtube videos and plan on working on some of his tabs soon. I just got my first tenor a couple of days ago so I need to get some basic strumming down first. btw I'm 54 so it's good to see some ukers in my age range here.

IMO, melodic fingerstyle is actually easier than "strumming." The hardest part is rhythm and the varieties of rhythm.

Glad you're getting well-aquainted with that new uke. The best to you.

IMO, melodic fingerstyle is actually easier than "strumming." The hardest part is rhythm and the varieties of rhythm.

Simply put, I can't sing. I would love to and I admire those who can. I continue to try to improve my voice but it seems to be a lost cause. Therefore, I decided to concentrate on instrumentals. I admire the late John King and of course Ken Middleton. I am presently working with their TAB books. I do incorporate strumming in practice but limit voice.

Aloha Ken,
Glad to hear of your success with the song...Check out Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome video tutorials..
I hope this helps...thanks for sharing your ukulele story...MM Stan...

Simply put, I can't sing. I would love to and I admire those who can. I continue to try to improve my voice but it seems to be a lost cause. Therefore, I decided to concentrate on instrumentals. I admire the late John King and of course Ken Middleton. I am presently working with their TAB books. I do incorporate strumming in practice but limit voice.

There are instrumentals where rhythm play is more foregrounded: the chordal/melodic interplay of someone like Ohta-San and the chordal solo stuff of someone like Roy Smeck. I put "strumming" in quotes simply to emphasize that too many people consider the rhythmic aspect of uke playing "mere strumming"...and BTW this does not IMO simply apply to accompaniment with vocals. While many can learn to "do the notes" the rhythmic aspect esp. tempo and phrasing of instumentals can be more elusive.

If you read interviews with Jake S. and James Hill they themselves go back to stuff like having to slow down, etc. and phrasing...in the broadest sense the rhythmic/timing components of playing instrumentals. The melodic element abstracted...is less elusive.

I think the most important thing here is that you've found music you love to learn and play. That's a blessing.

Last edited:

I am 53. Age doesn't matter with the ukulele however.

Ukulele people are wonderful. I've made some great friends here.

I agree! btw my mother in law started uke at age 77. She's now 82 and has inspired my wife and two of her sisters and me to play uke. We go out a couple times a month and play at nursing homes and retirement centers now. I play Ubass in that group btw.

I sat down with Ken Middleton's "I am a Pilgrim" two weeks ago. I began by sight reading the tabs while playing, breaking the tune into sections. Once I thought I had the tune in memory I practiced without looking at the tabs. When I forgot or got lost, I played while sight reading again, and so on and so forth. Seemingly 'suddenly' I was able to play it for the first time completely through. Happy with myself I tried playing it again only to get lost. Back to the tabs, only less frequently.

Now, 3 weeks later, playing for various lengths of time during the day, I have it down to where I can play it through without going back to the tab sheet. I'll continue to play it now working on tempo and inflection until it becomes second nature.

I have been playing for a year or so, almost daily and I can't read music so I rely on Youtube videos and tabs. I am 64 years old.

I don't know how this compares to others learning tunes. I have about 10 instrumentals memorized and find I need to play them frequently so I don't forget.

Feels so good when you accomplish a song that you've been trying to master for awhile, now you can add it to your favorites arsenal!!! MM Stan...
and about age....doesn't matter to me, main thing you're enjoying yourself....

That is great! Thanks for sharing. Just last week I downloaded some of Ken's free tabs. I would like to start working on Over the Waterfall. I can not sing so I thought it would be cool to start working on some instrumental pieces.

Glad you're getting well-aquainted with that new uke. The best to you.

This can be true with some,, but Id hate for people starting to get the impression, that strumming is that hard. Its is terribly hard for some, and totally natural for others. '
I think its like dancing,, I cannot dance a lick, but put me on a skateboard , or something and even this old fart can do some tricks.

Some people connect with their individual fingers better ,, than they do with whatever it is that makes you flow with the rhythm.
Ive said it before ,, but I used to play with a guy who could play intricate fingerstyle blues, but couldnt strum along to anything w/ o trying to count.
I think most people are opposite, Both fun , and yes just my opinion.

As far as learning the tune, part of what makes it so "magical" is that when I set out to learn something, it seems like impossible, but tiny bit ,by bit it just happens. Our brains are remarkable,at adapting and remembering. Ive been working on a Daddystove pipe version of Macon Rag for a couple of weeks ,, and what seemed impossible , is now playable. Now I have to know it well enough to play on auto pilot.

Congrats on your new tunes,
Steve

Top Bottom