recording gear - sound interface

Duke

Reaction score
hey ya; im looking forward to buy a external usb audio interface.
TASCAM US-122 L looks good.

someone have a advice for it;
or another tip for a good recording?
got a computer, mixer, korg ax3a(check this out on your next musical store; its awesome for acoustic players).
but you know... problems with latency and power-noises...
so i think an usb device is right for me.

ok my boss br-600 is very good for recording external, but for videos or other stuff i think i need a better soundgear than a 10$ soundcard...

thanks bros.

are you on PC or MAC? ive done a few acoustic recordings on my mac on garage band using an M-Audio fast track USB and a regular nady sp5 vocal mic. so far i dont have any complaints about it other than not really knowing how to use it in any way other than just a mic interface hehe.

I've heard good things about them so I bet you will like it. I currently use a M-Audio Mobile Pre.

my little brother is using the mobile pre as well. and the results have been nothing short of pleasantly surprising. i just got the lower model because i was on a lower budget at the time... still needed a mic.

are you on PC or MAC? ive done a few acoustic recordings on my mac on garage band using an M-Audio fast track USB and a regular nady sp5 vocal mic. so far i dont have any complaints about it other than not really knowing how to use it in any way other than just a mic interface hehe.

I also have the M-Audio fast track pro USB interface.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro-main.html

It's only a 2 channel but to me it works great. It was cheap ($250 USD) and works great. How can you beat that? I've heard it does not play nice with windows though but works great with my mac book pro.

wow the pro looks butter. i dont have the pro. wish i did. mine was only about $80. and my brother's was about $150. didnt wanna spend too much on the equipment, since it was our first time trying to record our music. and considering my studio is set up in my walk-in closet hahaha.

consists of my macbook, interface, computer speakers, cheap headphones, boom mic stand, and mic. just the bare essentials.

if youre curious, some of the results can be heard here...
http://www.myspace.com/joatmon619

nothing special. but i was satisfied with the results.

my little brother is using the mobile pre as well. and the results have been nothing short of pleasantly surprising.

ya that would be me with the Mobile Pre. it Totally serves its purpose. the ONLY negative thing about it is that there is a little latency when i have the monitors on. other than that, everything is on point.

btw.. anyone know if there's a way to fix that?

ya that would be me with the Mobile Pre. it Totally serves its purpose. the ONLY negative thing about it is that there is a little latency when i have the monitors on. other than that, everything is on point.

btw.. anyone know if there's a way to fix that?

What kind of computer are you running?

Don't know if it's still an issue, most likely not. But anyone who may be having this problem best solution is to up your hardware buffer size in whatever recording software you are using(in Pro Tools it's under the preferences menu). That being said any PC host based(no PCI cards dedicated solely to audio processing) will have some latency. Most reasonably priced systems fall into that catagory.

Things you should look for when considering an interface/audio PC.

The more RAM the more plugins/tracks you will be able to run. As well as an increased buffer size so you won't have as much latency

USB vs Firewire
Firewire is going to have better transfer rates and therefore less latency than all other options in the plug and play realm.

USB 2.0 Is becoming more legit in that realm. The M-audio FastTrack 8R and the newer fast track pro(not the old one) Have Core DSP's built into them to deal with some of the more basic plugins to free up your computers processing power, as well as some nifty routing options that free up more bandwidth space along the USB.

USB 1.0 Um try to avoid, if you go that route realize there will bill latency no matter what you do.

If anyone out there is looking to buy I would recommend the Apogee Duet, the M-audio Profire2626 if you need a lot of channels, Or the Fast Track Pro if you only need a couple channels and want to work in pro tools, or just don't want to dish out the cash for the apogee(and I wouldn't blame you)

And I can't avoid touching on Digidesign stuff, while they set a standard an precedent in the home audio world, I'm not a fan of the Mbox2's pre-amps, like the 2626's much better, but to each their own.

Hope I didn't get too wordy and bore you guys there. Hope someone finds this info usefull.

Top Bottom