Who are the greats in the ukulele world

Keef

Reaction score
I am somewhat new to the ukulele game who are the all time greats of ukulele playing past and present?

I'll start this list in alpha order . . . some of names below are just entertainers who play and others are individuals who perpetuate the ukulele.

Zee Avi
Craig Brandau
May Singhi Breen
Bob Brozman
Zach Condon (Beirut)
Matt Dahlberg
Dominator
Cliff Edwards
Troy Fernandez
George Formby
Kalei Gamiao
Merrill Garbus (tUnE-yArDs)
Taimane Gardner
Imua Garza
Aldrine Guerrero
Greg Hawkes
James Hill
Ho'opi'i Brothers
Daniel Ho
Kimo Hussey
Earnest Kaai
Kalima Brothers
Jesse Kalima
Eddie Kamae
Israel Kamawiwaole
Moe Keale
John King
Abe Lagrimas, Jr.
Sophie Madeiline
Peter Moon
Ohta-san
Herb Ohta, Jr.
Brittni Paiva
Julia Nunes
Lyle Ritz
Bill Tapia
Roy Sakuma
Derick Sebastian
Ralph Shaw
Jake Shimabukuro
Roy Smeck
Tiny Tim
Bryan Tolentino
Ukulele Bart
Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain
Ukulele Ray
Victoria Vox
*Please note - the names added are from the first page only.

Last edited:
Can't speak too much on the past, but four present greats are Jake Shimabukuro, Aldrine Guerrero, James Hill, and Matt Dahlberg. Both Aldrine and Matt are members of this forum as well.

Zach Condon (Beirut) & Merrill Garbus (tUnE-yArDs) are making some of the most interesting ukelele-based music out there. I love Erin Cavellier's (Lady Lioness) stuff, too.

I grew up listening to Ohta San my dad being a big fan so to me he is on top of the list. Peter Moon another great from earlier times. The Kalima Brothers from Hilo, and the Ho'opi'i Brothers from Kahakuloa, Maui too.

FWIW, Cliff "ukulele Ike" Edwards, who was mentioned in Kanaka916's post, introduced "Singin' In The Rain" as an ukulele song in 1929, and was the voice of Jiminy Cricket.

She may not be one of the "greats" among ukulele players, but Sophie Madeiline is doing her part as a songweriter and ukulele performer to popularize the ukulele and spread some ukulele love.

I grew up listening to Ohta San my dad being a big fan so to me he is on top of the list. Peter Moon another great from earlier times. The Kalima Brothers from Hilo, and the Ho'opi'i Brothers from Kahakuloa, Maui too.

I didn't grow up listening to Ohta San but he's at the top of my list.

I didn't grow up listening to Ohta San but he's at the top of my list.

Not famous, but "great":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSHmTM-ANPE
Warning: avoid this vid if you dislike the sound of ocean waves and the sweet voice of a beautiful woman. Also, she's using a pick...I forgive her...She's singing a Cliff Edwards tune, "I'll See You In My Dreams."

Makes you realize what it's all about...music.

I was so distracted I replied to my own post, LOL.

Last edited:
put guting too with aldrine and matt dahlberg

Add Roy Smeck to the list. Check him out on Youtube. And ukulele wasn't even his main instrument!

Add: Janet Klein, Ian Whitcomb.

Add also: Vincent Cortese (see his vids on YouTube): a student of Roy Smeck.

Cliff Edwards: genius.

Last edited:
Thanks for all these names I am slowly googeling and you tubbing each one

A couple of young guys keeping family tradition going, Keoki Kahumoku and David Kamakahi. As aside note I just got Troy Fernandez' Hawaiian Style Ukulele, great stuff! I've always loved the Ka'au Crater Boys, but Troys CD just blew me away.

Top Bottom