Wedgie picks?

Josh!!!

Reaction score
WARNING - I'm dead-set on picking and I'm not looking for finger strumming advice. I've tried using my fingers for over a year and a half, and I can't stand it (8+ years of guitar playing, nail biting, clumsy right hand, etc.).

Has anyone had any experience with the Wedgie rubber picks? None of the shops around here have them in stock to try out, so I'm looking for some opinions.

Plastic - ahhhh my poor strings!
Nylon - too clicky.
Felt - feels like a bone shard covered in fur.
Leather - not much experience, but that's for another thread.
Rubber - ???

Has anyone had any experience with the Wedgie rubber picks?

Old guitar player also.... so bought some wedgies from Amazon. Bought several different guages to see how they worked out. My daughter used hers more than I did, but I don't guess that I've used them in more than a month now - finally getting used to using my "pointer" finger (as they call the index finger in most of the UU videos).

They work fine but do leave behind some rubber dust & steaks across the upper bout - but certainly would be better than plastic picks.

Thanks for the input. I can deal with some dust. And if they come with steaks, I'm totally down. :p

How's the tone? Does it sound like finger strumming or just rounded-out picking?

Thanks for the input. I can deal with some dust. And if they come with steaks, I'm totally down. :p

How's the tone? Does it sound like finger strumming or just rounded-out picking?

Probably somewhat between the two. Not as "harsh" or sharp as a pick would sound on a guitar string (but that could be more the plastic string than the pick) - but louder than you would probably get w/finger strumming. The ones that I used most are the white 3.0 mm Wedgie.

I had a dozen of the 3mm in my online shopping cart earlier today but decided against it until I got some reviews.

One more question - are they flexible or rigid? I'm used to playing with those clear plastic Dunlops that are nearly as thin as paper, so I'm looking for something with a lot of flex.

I am a finger strummer...but my wife has looked at me square in the face and broken it to me that she is a picker. I had her on the felt wedge and hated the tone so I bought some wedges (.03 and .05 I think) from Elderly. I love the sound she produces with the .03, in fact, it is pretty close to what I get with my finger (with the exception that she is far more deliberate and does not mess up as much). The .05 is closer to a "pick" sound (but still softer and better rounded to my ear) and it is not as good a fit for her soprano (works on my tenor fine, and sounds great).
They are both flexible, but tend to leave a little dust like an eraser (big deal right). They fit her fingers perfectly and she has a really easy time holding them correctly. Out of the 10 or so kinds of picks I got her, she always reaches for these ones without a doubt.
If you are a picker- ordering a few pairs and trying them will be money well spent I think.

I had a dozen of the 3mm in my online shopping cart earlier today but decided against it until I got some reviews.

One more question - are they flexible or rigid? I'm used to playing with those clear plastic Dunlops that are nearly as thin as paper, so I'm looking for something with a lot of flex.

Pretty flexible, actually - I"ve got some .6 mm Dunlops & the wedgies sound closer to a finger tip rather than the nail which would be closer to what the Dunlops sound like.

The title of this thread is very misleading. Not at all what I thought it was about.. Thanks goodness

I got a variety pack from an Amazon seller. Definitely like the lightest, thinnest ones best. Those would be the white 3's and 5's. Light grey 3's are okay, the dark greys are way too thick and heavy. Combine that with the softer sound and all you get is a heavy "thunk."

Definitely give them a try. They're the best I've found for those times where you need a pick and plastic ones are too harsh.

Top Bottom