Hitting the wall

rreffner

Reaction score
Lets say a person has been playing & practicing quite a bit and feels they have 'hit the wall.' Should one continue to play trying to break through or take a break from the uke?

if i'm understanding you correctly, you hit a spot where you feel you can not improve, but need to. in this case, i would personally stop "practicing" and just have fun. keep playing what you know, change it up, try different strums, try plucking the chords to your favorite songs. don't put so much stress on trying to perfect something, or master it, just have fun.
i find i learn more things about my playing, by simply sitting there and playing. when i hear something i like, i repeat it, and play with it to develope a cool riff. the problem is, i usually forget this so called "cool" riffs by the next day, but that's a different story for a different day.

Keep on going. You never know when you'll start climbing "the wall" again.

Definitely keep going! I found that I had trouble learning new
songs,they just didn't stick in my memory.So as advised,I just
played what I knew,relaxed and played around.Then I found
that the songs I 'couldn't learn' were coming back to me,maybe
not chord perfect,but certainly workable,and very close to what
they should be.A few quick peeks at my chord sheets to confirm
my errors,and suddenly i 'knew' a whole load of 'new' stuff!

Break on through to the other side.

Do stuff out of your wheel house. If you're mostly a strummer, try picking. Try Dominator's tabs. If you're mainly a picker, try some different strums. Do you have a triplet strum yet? A split stroke? A fan stroke?

Play genres that you don't usually play. Tin Pan Alley, country, rock, funk, blues.

Aloha Ken,
I too usually hit dead spots in my playing and plateau, I usually check out You tube ukulele vid's for inspiration and motivation, then google the
songs I like ie, Molokai slide ukulele lyrics and chords......practice it and then go back to You Tube and play along... another way
which is more pricer is to buy another ukulele new or used to gain and refind that intrest again...with the learning curb...and what works best is
to join a club or find a partner to play with.....sometimes the wife will do...it's that comadrie thing and challenges to be better that
pushes you through that wall....Also play songs that you like and easy to play and that you enjoy, it cuts down on the fustration and brings
back that refound intrest and fun. I hope this helps, Good Luck!!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
I've been playing fretted instruments for over 40 years and the plateaus happen to everyone. You're making progress even when you don't thing you are by building muscle memory. If it gets really frustrating try taking a couple of days off. You might be surprised by how much you improved while you weren't trying so hard.

Top Bottom