Humidifier Question

pulelehua

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times. Sorry for the repeat.

I live in Kent, UK. It is quite humid here. Humidity over 90% is reasonably common on grey, drizzly days. Humidity over 60% is very common.

My parents live in California. Not the driest bit, but it's quite dry.

When looking at humidifiers, they all tell me how they'll keep my ukulele safe in California, but they don't seem to mention about taking humidity OUT of a case.

Which humidifiers are best for people who operate at BOTH extremes?

Thanks!

Maybe a series of nonanswers in both cases here...no pun intended...but keep them in the case whenever not in use, first. Too humid or too dry at least they're in a case...and trying to keep temp variations to a minimum. The range for a case can be like 45-70%? with the case itself closed when not in use. If a case gets too wet, humid, like 90% a desiccate minus the instrument to get things back in line just for a little bit? But here's the rub: you're not playing the uke inside a case. Avoid the 90% (outdoor exposure when possible and what's the temp then?)...along with in and out of case and air conditioning...

In short, you're concerned about going back and forth from England to the USA. Worry first about the temp variations in both places...maintain the case as best you can with respect to acceptable humidity RANGE...

I use Hercos because I'm cheap and a traditionalist.

Last edited:
Humidipak by Planet Waves regulates both ways although it's capacity to absorb water is limited. I would not be that concerned about the high humidity outside unless you are storing your instruments in a non heated/non air conditioned room inside. The humidity level inside is much lower (especially in the winter) than outside in most situations unless you live in the Tropics.

My bigger concern would be the hot environment of Southern California and the thermal shock of going from a very warm environment to a cool air conditioned environment or vice versa. Storage in autos is another concern.

Last edited:
Humidipak by Planet Waves regulates both ways although it's capacity to absorb water is limited. I would not be that concerned about the high humidity outside unless you are storing your instruments in a non heated/air conditioned room inside. The humidity level inside is much lower (especially in the winter) than outside in most situations unless you live in the Tropics.

My bigger concern would be the hot environment of Southern California and the thermal shock of going from a very warm environment to a cool air conditioned environment or vice versa. Storage in autos is another concern.

It really does come down to (first) the temp variations...which is usually the second thing folks worry about.

i'm actually thinking about starting to humidify my ukes, but mine are laminant, so it's not quite as bad as if they were solid. i've actually been toying with the humidy issue for a while because i have a solid maple bassoon and, especially in the winter, it gets quite arid here. i think at first, i'm going to try the home-made pez humidifiers.

as for taking the humidity away from an instrument, my in-laws live in japan where it's constantly over 60% and they have a dehumidifier in their piano room under the grand piano. i took my bassoon over there several years ago and it had swollen so much from the humidity that i had to leave it next to the dehumidifier for several days so i could pull it apart. i know there are different types of dehumidifiers you can purchase. in japan, there are electric units and then there are non-electric ones you stick in your closet that just suck the moisture out of the air to keep your clothing fresh. we would use these in the bathroom when i was living there to keep mold from growing.
12967034.jpg

It really does come down to (first) the temp variations...which is usually the second thing folks worry about.
Aloha Pulelehua,......nice Avatar....
One thing people don't realize too is...if you keep your uke in a cool air conditioned room most of the time then one day you take it out on a hot day throw it the hot car
that temperture variation is just as bad...or if it's winter time and you've kept in the cold room for a long time and one day cranked up the heat...for awhile...that's not
good either... could develop crack either way....
Another thing is Mold in side ukes, I've seen them ......gotta watch out ...too much moisture is bad tooo....
Luv Dat and Tarhead makes a very good point....take care of your babies.......MM Stan...

Last edited:
I'm only just concerned as I'm getting a custom MP in December. Temperate variation I think is pretty much fine at home in Kent. The UK is fairly mild and tends not to dance from one extreme to another with any speed. I have been considering just not taking it back to California once I get it (Tarhead, Northern California, FYI - Bay Area). That would sort out one problem.

Air conditioning here involves a fan in my son's room to help him sleep at night on the 9 really hot nights per year. Central heat goes on pretty rarely to save on gas bills, so it can be cold in winter, but not suddenly cold.

Thanks everyone. I shall look at a few things. Pez???

Top Bottom