Wood material that sounds different from koa

Reaction score
I am going to buy a new uke soon, and I want to have a ukulele that sounds totally different from my Honu Traditional. I do like koa, but I don't want two ukes that sound similar. I'm impressed with the concert size so I'll stick to that.

And by the way, Brüko are making custom made ukuleles, so I might get one of those.

I don't know much about the sound of many woods, because I have not tried so many ukuleles. So, if you could tell me what the sound would be like, that would be good.

Personally, I think that differences in sound come more from the design of the instrument rather than solely the different woods. Check out some different makers to hear the differences. Different bracing, body design, thickness of wood etc can make a big difference.
It would be interesting if you had a chance to play a Honu Traditional in a different wood.

Brighter = Spruce (louder too)
Warmer = Mahogany

Personally, I recommend trying out a mahogany uke.

Warmer = Mahogany

YES!
I got a David Gill concert pineapple with a spruce top recently, and it sounds very different from my other ukes.
The other two things to do if you want a different sound would be strings (Aquilas are nice, but try worth browns)
or just buy a banjolele, no wood sound at all!

Warmer = Mahogany

A maple/spruce combination is loud and clear... Ohana CK-70 comes to mind.

I have a Koa Kamaka pineapple, and a Mainland Rosewood/Red Cedar pineapple and they sound very different from each other yet they both sound beautiful.
Check out the Mainland Red Cedar top pineapple sopranos: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...26FDB0.qscstrfrnt04?productId=34&categoryId=3
pineapple2%20copy.gif

The way the instrument is built and the strings used will make a bigger difference than the kind of wood used.

forwhatitsworth, I have a kala solid acacia tenor and the cutaway koa lam w/ solid cedar top, both with aquila strings, the cedar is louder and brighter, the acacia is mellower, more like mahogany.

Top Bottom