PDA

View Full Version : Ka Huila Wai - Uke & Ipu

berean_315
08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
My brother and I playing at "The Well" formerly "Kick Back Koffee House". One of my favorite Hawaiian songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWX5YhxxrU

mds725
08-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Very nice! We recently learned to play that song in my Hawai'ian Mele ukulele class. It's one of my favorites too. I like how you perform it. Thanks for posting.

dipole
08-30-2010, 03:42 PM
love it!u guys did a great job :D

berean_315
09-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the comments. It's a fun song.

Kanaka916
09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
For anyone who's interested . . .

Ka Huila Wai by Alfred Alohikea

K wale mai no ka huila wai The windmill just stands still
A`ohe wai ia`u e niniu ai No water comes swirling up

He aniani k mau `oe no You are a constant reflection of me
He hoa kk p me kaua My companion, always conversing with me

Aloha `ia n Mllele Beloved indeed is Mllele
I ka lele ahea i ka moana When the clouds swirl, the ocean is stormy

Aloha `ia n o Wai`hinu Beloved is the koae bird from
Ka pali lele wai a ke koae The waterfall of Wai`hinu

Mai noho `oe a ho`opoina Just don't you forget
I kahi pkake ulu ma`ema`e This attractive peacock

Ha`ina `ia mai ana ka puana Tell the refrain
A`ohe wai i`au e niniu ai No water comes swirling up

Source: Garza-Maguire Collection - Verse 3, the cliff Mllele was named for Monilele, a very pretty young girl who caught the eye of a chief that was not well liked. He declared she would become his wife. The day before the wedding, she went to the forest and picked all the maile to adorn herself. She then went down to the cliffs at South Point, and jumped off. If you go to the cliffs at South Point and smell maile, where obviously no maile grows, it is because Monilele likes you. This legend told by a Ka` kupuna born near Hilea. When asked about Moaula, it was pronounced in the vernacular (or maybe a dialect) Moula, leaving out the "a". Hence the transition Moanilele, Monilele, Molilele (in song).

The lyrics and footnote is from Hawaiian Hula Archives (http://www.huapala.org/index.html).

mailman
09-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Well done! I had only been familiar with Iz's version, and it is a favorite of mine.