Pros and Cons of getting a long neck soprano?

I have the KoAloha longneck soprano. The big advantage, obviously, is that you have the cute, "classic" soprano sound while you have more frets and more fretting hand space. The one real disadvantage is that case selection is much more limited.

Pro: it's a new ukulele.
Con: none that I can think of.

Pros:Long neck sopranos usually have more frets. Many, but not all sopranos have only 12 frets. There are many songs you might want to play that require more frets. The extra room is very helpful for playing those higher frets too. Because of the longer scale, tuning to low g might be more successful than on a shorter scale.

Con: It is just a bit longer than the compact soprano, and might be more top heavy.

That said, I have plans for a high-end (either KoAloha or Kanile'a) long neck soprano in my future.

–Lori

I have the KoAloha longneck soprano. The big advantage, obviously, is that you have the cute, "classic" soprano sound while you have more frets and more fretting hand space. The one real disadvantage is that case selection is much more limited.

Casing? That's ok. I plan to buy the KALA KA-SLNG, so it's laminate and I plan to just keep it at home. So does a longneck soprano w/ a concert scale sound close to a concert tone? I wanted a to get a uke with a concert-ish tone but still maintain a soprano size, so I thought this Kala was the one.

I have a Kanilea soprano long neck and I just love it.Pro: More space for my fingers.And it has that soprano sound,and it is my favorite to play.I also have a kanilea tenor and a Lanikai concert.Cons: it does get top heavy when my clip on tuner is attached,so once in tune I take it off.

I have a Kanilea soprano long neck and I just love it.Pro: More space for my fingers.And it has that soprano sound,and it is my favorite to play.I also have a kanilea tenor and a Lanikai concert.Cons: it does get top heavy when my clip on tuner is attached,so once in tune I take it off.

Thanks for the help. Man, I was hoping it would sound a little like a concert due to longer strings, but I guess not. I do like the extra space though. I'm considering just getting the Kala KA-CG.

Top Bottom