PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce AQUILA

jtafaro
08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
I have heard Aquila pronounced many ways. Which is the correct one? It's Italian so the vowels would be pronounced like Spanish vowels. Is it AH-QWIL-AH or AH-KEY-LA?
Take this from another direction. The colorless alcoholic beverage made by Jose Quervo is spelled TAQUILA. Remove the T and we have AQUILA. So then how should this word be pronounced?

seeso
08-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Since they're an Italian company, I've been pronouncing it Ah-kee-lah.

Dougf
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
If they're Italian, I think it would be pronounced AH-kwee-la, accent on 1st syllable.

http://www.forvo.com/word/aquila/

mailman
08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
I remember a YouTube video by Bosco & Honey in which they actually visited the Aquila factory and interviewed the owner. I'm sure the name would have been pronounced there (presumably correctly), although I don't remember how. It shouldn't be too hard to search for....

Chris Tarman
08-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I know it's Italian, and so I assume it would be close to Spanish in pronunciation. And that would be, as said above "Ah-kee-lah", more or less. I don't know where the accent would fall in Italian. In Spanish, I believe it would be on the second syllable, but Italian might well be different.

Uke Republic
08-30-2010, 05:33 PM
If they're Italian, I think it would be pronounced AH-kwee-la, accent on 1st syllable.

http://www.forvo.com/word/aquila/

Yes. A bit like Aqua -Ah yes. I know how to say Nylgut.

Ukulele JJ
08-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I know it's Italian, and so I assume it would be close to Spanish in pronunciation. And that would be, as said above "Ah-kee-lah", more or less.

Yes, but I believe that in Italian they pronounce "qui" like "kwee", no like "kee" (as in Spanish and French).

The accent is typically on the second-to-last syllable. So... "ah-KWEE-lah"

JJ

Dougf
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
A common misconception is that the Spanish "qu" and Italian "qu" are pronounced the same, but they are not. Italian "qu" is "kw". Here's another link:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/534601885/m/1691078974

seeso
08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Well, whaddaya know? I've been saying it wrong this whole time.

rasputinsghost
08-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Just to help confirm, it's Ah-kwee-la. (I took Italian for 4 years).

ricdoug
08-30-2010, 08:09 PM
I Kill Ya'! Ric

Ken Middleton
08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Now that we have sorted out how to pronounce Aquila, can we start pronouncing D'Addario properly too? Please.

cashew
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Now that we have sorted out how to pronounce Aquila, can we start pronouncing D'Addario properly too? Please.

from the D'addario Website's FAQ's :)

"How do you pronounce the name D'Addario?
We receive letters each week regarding the correct pronunciation of the D'Addario name. Some years back, we even ran an ad which illustrated an easy way to pronounce the D'Addario name. The name is pronounced phonetically as follows: Da-Dairy-O A simple way to pronounce the most difficult name in musical accessories!"

Pippin
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
A common misconception is that the Spanish "qu" and Italian "qu" are pronounced the same, but they are not. Italian "qu" is "kw". Here's another link:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/534601885/m/1691078974

BINGO! He's the WINNER.

Pippin
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I Kill Ya'! Ric

upstart (hehehe)

Teek
08-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Spanish and Italian both being Romance languages and speaking for myself having had some Latin and a lot of Spanish classes in my early years, I at least knew it meant "eagle" before I even saw the package. Italian often does accent differently than Spanish, but I was reading it as Ah Kee lah too.. I was pretty certain it wasn't Uh Quill Uh.

OT, so who knows how to pronounce Testarossa? Love those Italian names!

Colloquially it's "Tasty Roasty" here in ol' California. Can you say Countach? (Yes, Lambourghini, I know). We actually went looking for pieces of the Ferrari Enzo that crashed on PCH.

We have streets full of these exotics and lots of Italian motorcycles; Aprilia Shivers and Ducati Monsters. Santa Monica probably has more Monsters per capita than anywhere in the US.

How bout Ducati Desmosedicci! Yum!

Ahnko Honu
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
It's yack-willah. I always put yack-willah strings on all my yoo-ker-lay-lees. ;)

70sSanO
08-31-2010, 04:23 AM
So how would I pronounce it if I wanted to buy Aquila strings in Spain?

John

iDavid
08-31-2010, 04:43 AM

maybe we can pronoun ukulele correctly also...lol

Oh, Ken your books are great, btw.

rasputinsghost
08-31-2010, 05:12 AM
There are actual Italian speakers on UU, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Testarossa? Test-ah-rohs-a.

Desmoseddicci? Des-moh-seh-dee-chee.

luvdat
08-31-2010, 06:11 AM
This thread is putting me in the mood for some gnocchi. But let's not forget: "pasta" was invented by the Chinese...who now manufacture so many ukuleles...

No, that has been debunked. Goes back to the Ancient Greeks and Romans??? The "pasta" not the ukuleles.

ukecantdothat
08-31-2010, 09:42 AM
This thread is putting me in the mood for some gnocchi. But let's not forget: "pasta" was invented by the Chinese...who now manufacture so many ukuleles...

No, that has been debunked. Goes back to the Ancient Greeks and Romans??? The "pasta" not the ukuleles.
No, no, you're right. The Chinese invented pasta, and Marco Polo stole it from them... Erm... maybe it was the swimming pool game he stole from them... Either way, it's ooh-koo-kwee-lay.

You're welcome!

JT_Ukes
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
No, no, you're right. The Chinese invented pasta, and Marco Polo stole it from them... Erm... maybe it was the swimming pool game he stole from them... Either way, it's ooh-koo-kwee-lay.

You're welcome!

in the south it's

"Ah-Kill-er strangs."

Lori
08-31-2010, 10:46 AM
It's all well and good to do the native pronunciations, but I don't expect to be saying Pair-ree anytime soon.

–Lori

mm stan
08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
in the south it's

"Ah-Kill-er strangs."

The ukulele strings or the spaghetti????

lambchop
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
I say a-kee-la, but I have no idea if I am right. I was playing Savarez for a while but have switched back to Nylguts and have a new appreciation for them so I really should learn the right way to say it. Mike

ErnieJ
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Like tequila I've always heard and assumed.

Dougf
08-31-2010, 11:52 AM
A pretty close English approximation is to say it like "aqualung" (remember that Jethro Tull Album?), and drop the final "ng".

Pronunciation wars will never be won, but there will always be those willing to fight the good fight. Does anybody really say "toe-MAH-toe" (not counting Spanish speakers). And let's not get started on ook vs yook. On second thought, anyone want to have a go at it?

ukecantdothat
08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
in the south it's

"Ah-Kill-er strangs."

I was fixin' to say that, y'all!

Brewerpaul
08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
BTW-- the song Locomotive Breath from Aqualung is a GREAT uke tune.

ukecantdothat
08-31-2010, 01:39 PM
BTW-- the song Locomotive Breath from Aqualung is a GREAT uke tune.

You got THAT right!!! I'm going to rack that up right now...

mimmo
04-24-2018, 02:32 AM
very old post, however here is the solution about Aquila (Eagle in english):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zaTAsipS4

Mimmo

Jerryc41
04-24-2018, 07:43 AM
...can we start pronouncing D'Addario properly too? Please.

Okay, Daddio!