How do you pronounce AQUILA

jtafaro

Reaction score
I have heard Aquila pronounced many ways. Which is the correct one? It's Italian so the vowels would be pronounced like Spanish vowels. Is it AH-QWIL-AH or AH-KEY-LA?
Take this from another direction. The colorless alcoholic beverage made by Jose Quervo is spelled TAQUILA. Remove the T and we have AQUILA. So then how should this word be pronounced?

Since they're an Italian company, I've been pronouncing it Ah-kee-lah.

I remember a YouTube video by Bosco & Honey in which they actually visited the Aquila factory and interviewed the owner. I'm sure the name would have been pronounced there (presumably correctly), although I don't remember how. It shouldn't be too hard to search for....

I know it's Italian, and so I assume it would be close to Spanish in pronunciation. And that would be, as said above "Ah-kee-lah", more or less. I don't know where the accent would fall in Italian. In Spanish, I believe it would be on the second syllable, but Italian might well be different.

I know it's Italian, and so I assume it would be close to Spanish in pronunciation. And that would be, as said above "Ah-kee-lah", more or less.

Yes, but I believe that in Italian they pronounce "qui" like "kwee", no like "kee" (as in Spanish and French).

The accent is typically on the second-to-last syllable. So... "ah-KWEE-lah"

JJ

Well, whaddaya know? I've been saying it wrong this whole time.

Just to help confirm, it's Ah-kwee-la. (I took Italian for 4 years).

Now that we have sorted out how to pronounce Aquila, can we start pronouncing D'Addario properly too? Please.

Now that we have sorted out how to pronounce Aquila, can we start pronouncing D'Addario properly too? Please.

from the D'addario Website's FAQ's :)

"How do you pronounce the name D'Addario?
We receive letters each week regarding the correct pronunciation of the D'Addario name. Some years back, we even ran an ad which illustrated an easy way to pronounce the D'Addario name. The name is pronounced phonetically as follows: Da-Dairy-O A simple way to pronounce the most difficult name in musical accessories!"

Spanish and Italian both being Romance languages and speaking for myself having had some Latin and a lot of Spanish classes in my early years, I at least knew it meant "eagle" before I even saw the package. Italian often does accent differently than Spanish, but I was reading it as Ah Kee lah too.. I was pretty certain it wasn't Uh Quill Uh.

OT, so who knows how to pronounce Testarossa? Love those Italian names!

Colloquially it's "Tasty Roasty" here in ol' California. Can you say Countach? (Yes, Lambourghini, I know). We actually went looking for pieces of the Ferrari Enzo that crashed on PCH.

We have streets full of these exotics and lots of Italian motorcycles; Aprilia Shivers and Ducati Monsters. Santa Monica probably has more Monsters per capita than anywhere in the US.

How bout Ducati Desmosedicci! Yum!

It's yack-willah. I always put yack-willah strings on all my yoo-ker-lay-lees. ;)

Last edited:
There are actual Italian speakers on UU, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Testarossa? Test-ah-rohs-a.

Desmoseddicci? Des-moh-seh-dee-chee.

Top Bottom