PDA

View Full Version : A little above beginner, but no uke master...

ArchDukeofUke
08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I've had my uke for a couple of months now, and can play many different chords and chord progressions. I can play a few chord progressions for songs, and can finger pick some melodies, one note at a time. The problem I am having is I am at a plateau. I can play chords that make songs, but if I do not sing the song, no one knows what I am playing.

I am looking to learn some finger picking songs, so that I can feel like I'm playing the song, and not just background music for someone (not me, I don't like singing publically) to play to.

Suggestions please?

janeray1940
08-30-2010, 06:08 PM
A book that gets recommended in these forums a lot is Mark Nelson's Learn to Play Fingerstyle Ukulele Solos (http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Fingerstyle-Solos-Ukulele/dp/0786673427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283227350&sr=8-1). It starts with a really simple exercise - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - where you play both chords and melody, and builds up to more complex pieces.

mm stan
08-30-2010, 07:40 PM
maybe a little singing when practicing improves timing and rhythm...I'd learn that first..
You learn to crawl before you walk...

SuzukHammer
08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
A book that gets recommended in these forums a lot is Mark Nelson's Learn to Play Fingerstyle Ukulele Solos (http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Fingerstyle-Solos-Ukulele/dp/0786673427/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283227350&sr=8-1). It starts with a really simple exercise - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - where you play both chords and melody, and builds up to more complex pieces.

I like the book mentioned above .

I just bought "Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Island" Decent fun songs.

cb56
08-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm also planning on getting the mark hansen fingerstyle book.
Ken Middleton has som free tabs for this style of playing here
http://kenmiddleton.co.uk/freedownloads.aspx
and he also has some ebooks for sale. He has posted that he is working on one with easier arrangements which I plan on getting as soon as it's available.

I like the book mentioned above .

I just bought "Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Island" Decent fun songs.
A question about the jumpin im books
Are they just chords to strum over melody lines or are they arrangements?
I can pretty much pick out chords to strum on my own (and have a chord book to show me fingerings) but if there is more to be learned with his books I may have to get some.

janeray1940
08-31-2010, 04:44 AM
A question about the jumpin im books
Are they just chords to strum over melody lines or are they arrangements?

Most of the JJ books are just chords, but his Ukulele Gems book has a few chord solos (which incorporate the melody) at the end. "Ain't She Sweet" is one of them, and is a good one for a beginner to work through a bit at a time. The others that are included are a bit more challenging.

sukie
08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
I am looking to learn some finger picking songs, so that I can feel like I'm playing the song, and not just background music for someone (not me, I don't like singing publically) to play to.

Suggestions please?
Check out Ken Middleton stuff. He's got lots of videos on YouTube and provides tabs. Good practice stuff. That is how I started to learn how to fingerpick.