Does this uke exist?

sasasa1

Reaction score
I love bringing my uke everywhere but hate the attention I get when I play it (cafes, airport, shopping malls, work). I'd love to have a uke where only I can hear the sound coming out of through earphones. Is there such a uke in the market?

The Risa electric sticks should work. Plug in one of those pocket amps and a set of headphones and you're good to go. Takes up next to no room.

I love bringing my uke everywhere but hate the attention I get when I play it (cafes, airport, shopping malls, work). I'd love to have a uke where only I can hear the sound coming out of through earphones. Is there such a uke in the market?
Play the one you hear in your head. Sounds flippant, but really, it does work. On the way to gigs, I'll run over arrangements in my head sometimes and it really helps. I know it doesn't really address your good question. Other than that, a solid body is the best answer. Try putting a piece of foam under the strings near the bridge - no sustain, but you'll still get the workout. I have a cigar box uke I'm leaving without a soundhole for this reason - makes late night strumming possible w/o waking the whole house!

The Risa electric sticks should work. Plug in one of those pocket amps and a set of headphones and you're good to go. Takes up next to no room.

What he said. I love my Risa stick for stealthy playing. :D

Ahhh so any electric uke connected to a pocket amp should do it? Awesome, I wish I had thought of that earlier. It does make sense now. Thanks everyone! :)

eleukes and the stagg electric uke already come with earphone jacks. they don't even need pocket amps...

Only solid body electrics can be played silently while using headphones. Hollow bodied acoustic/electric ukes will still produce sound through the sound hole....

One of the reasons why I bought my Eleuke concert pineapple. ;)
EleukePineapple.jpg

Check out our dealer page for some great prices and service on the EleUkes
eleukes and the stagg electric uke already come with earphone jacks. they don't even need pocket amps...
Quoted for truth ;)
The EleUkes have an active saddle pick up (powered by a 9V battery). This means that its "off" until you plug something into it. Then the headphones, speakers, whatnot are powered.
Don't Eleukes also have an input for your mp3 player?
Yes. You can see a picture here of the input and two outputs. You can do all kinds of crazy stuff with all those jacks. One thing a lot of people like to do is to play along with a song you're learning; plug your iPod and headphone in and start strumming!
ELEUKE010.jpg

Heck with that. Play it out loud and proud. Who knows, you might make some converts to the Uke.

Alternatively, you could mute the string, perhaps with a piece of cloth down near the bridge under the strings. It won't sound terrific, but you'll be able to play fairly silently, and on a fingerboard that you're used to.

Top Bottom