Replacement Strings

ramirohird

Reaction score
I have read a few posts regarding replacing strings. My questions isn't about how, but more about nylon vs. metal. What do most people use as their go to string? I'm looking to replace my first set and was leaning towards metal, but was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages would or could be.

Thanks,

Ramiro

No more steel strings...EVER! Ahem, sorry for that "Mommy Dearest" moment. I hope to never see metal strings on a Uke, that being said...there are many soft "er" materials to choose from, depending on your likes/wants in the way of sound and feel. A good starting point is Aquilla Nylgut strings...these make even a poor quality uke sound better. There is a new string (bionylon) coming soon from them that I actually like the sound of better, but it hasn't come on the market that I've seen. You also have several variations of "nylon" and flurocarbon, as well as wound strings from several makers. Google or Bing is a great place to start just to see what's available, I've even seen some custom stuff in rainbow colors!:cool:

If you want a softer feeling set, go with Worth clears or Savarez (you have to buy Savarez as separates, as they are made for guitars, but you can learn how on my blog int his article: http://lambchopukulele.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-savarez-set.html). I agree that Aquila Nylguts are good as well, but they feel rougher that the Savarez or Worths, which also have a mellower tone. It's all a matter of personal preference of course, but, as the others have said, a ukulele bridge will not hold metal strings for long - too much tension. Since ukes seem to be set up higher than guitars, it would be very painful to use metal anyway. Regards, Mike

Hi Ramiro!

FYI, I tried Aquila strings on my beginner (laminated) uke and they sounded better than what they came with. But then I tried Worth white (low G) and it sounds a lot better, even without taking into consideration the difference of the low G. I'm really happy with them. I'm guessing (don't know, my experience is only with one uke) that different strings will pair better with different ukes, but just wanted to let you know I'm very pleased with the Worths.

I will have to try a few different kinds and see what I like best. Thanks for all the great feedback.

strings for ukes is such a massive subject, and very subjective (as well as depending on the uke in question)

I have sampled all sorts of strings, and tend to think that Aquilas, Worths and Martin flouros are my faves (depending on the uke)

Some ramblings about strings on my blog here

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2009/11/all-things-strings.html

I'd say GO TO YOUR LOCAL MUSIC STORE THAT HAS SOMEONE KNOWLEDGABLE IN UKULELE RELATED STUFF :)

sometimes, strings can only truly be preferred after being heard in person, and not in video ;)

Top Bottom