If there was an Ukulele Underground Magazine, would you subscribe?

Would you subscribe?

• Yes of course!

Votes: 79 96.3%
  • No, magazines are stupid...

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking... if there was an Ukulele Underground Magazine, would you subscribe to it, or be willing to contribute to the magazine in the form of articles?

Oh yeah! Most definitely and I just joined lol. I would love to have news and other information on the Ukulele in a magazine form!

For several years APM (acoustic players magazine) put out a quarterly online magazine with a subscription fee. It was absolutely great but took a lot of effort to maintain with its commitment to quality and no formal sponsorship or advertising to sustain the effort.

My point being, it is a worthy enterprise which the UU community would greatly appreciate, but my impression is that a regular magazine is a bit of a Pandora's box. It's a large undertaking and has challenges that you might not have foreseen.

But hey, you guys have already surpassed your initial expectations and your heart's in the right place, so go for it! - and know that you'll have the full support of the UU community.

I use to work for a woman that produced a magazine from her home.....very time consuming and expensive. She was always barely paying her bills just to keep the rag going. In todays world with information online available instantly, producing a mag with such a small following would have to be for the love of the subject, not to make money....but yes, you'd get my subsciption.

Prior to quitting my job, I worked closely with some of the largest magazines in Hawaii (Honolulu Magazine, Hawaii Business, Hawaii Magazine etc). I've seen how hard those guys work so if we were to do a magazine, it would definitely not be monthly and it would be digest size and. Maybe 32 pages each issue tops.

i would definitely subscribe. if not for the articles and fred in the centerfold, just to help out. as far as writing an article, i dont see myself as enough of an expert on the subject. but i wouldnt mind trying, if you give me an easy enough assignment to write about. hehe.

Well, then you do know what you're doing. I would just hate to lose you guys here because the rag sucked the life outta you. And as far as advertising, you guys know all the right companies....that's where you make the big bucks.

Hey, Rayan, read your emails...I'm waiting on an answer....

It sounds nice, and I am sure it would be fun to read. Perhaps you can lift a tip of the veil on how you envision the added value to this site / forum? I can imagine it would revolve around a bunch of core members and an amount of crowd participation, leaning towards the core members again when the novelty wears off. Is that too pessimistic?

Would this be a magazine as in a stack of paper stapled together and folded in the middle? Nice to have and perhaps a viable business model still(?), but it appears the trend is for paper mags to get in deep trouble because of the amount of info online. Perhaps pdf format / online distribution is something to consider as well. In any account, grassroots initiative should be encouraged and I would be in for subscription and perhaps the occasional meeting report in the Far East.

Uke Mag

A uke mag would be great. I've always wanted to start one but what can I say, I'm a lazy dude. You'd definitely have my subscription. Isn't there a Japanese uke mag? Coconuts or something like that? I dunno, I think I read or heard that somewhere but I'm not sure. Maybe I dreamt it or something. Hopefully the mag could get some corporate sponsorship. Small instrument, but big dreams! I likee.

Rolling Coconuts! UkeNinja sent me a copy the other day. It's about 16 pages. Looks like it's a monthly thing too.

I have a copy of Rolling Coconuts here with me. It's not the issue Aldrine was featured in though. He doesn't even have a copy of that one. hahaha.

Coconuts

Cool, "Rolling Coconuts". That sounds really tough to say in Japanese. I guess in romaji it'd be roringu kokonatsu :p I'm glad I wasn't smoking crack. How does the mag look?

This is a no-brainer. I would subscribe for sure! Be forewarned though -- it WILL be a lot of work and I'd hate to see the site suffer because of it. The site is an excellent resource already.

Cool, "Rolling Coconuts". That sounds really tough to say in Japanese. I guess in romaji it'd be roringu kokonatsu :p I'm glad I wasn't smoking crack. How does the mag look?

I can't read Japanese but it seems like a lot of ads, a few tabbed out songs and a couple interviews. It's nicely done though.

i would most definitely subscribe... and then it'll become like collection items... its a first edition UU magazine signed by aldrine! lol

Top Bottom