My Fluke is fading a bit...

Big_Fred

Reaction score
My Tiki King Surf is fading in the lower left where my arm rests against the soundboard. I am looking at it as a mark of good use. (9 months of playing it; several hours a day)

I am considering a Flea and I was wondering if their solid color models do this as well.

Just wondering, has your arm changed color?

My bark cloth Flea has faded a little where my arm holds it. Obviously you can't see it when I'm playing. It's a little over a year old, and gets played a LOT, often outside in the South Florida heat and humidity.

My mango Fluke hasn't faded - it's just a little shinier where it gets touched the most. But the color hasn't changed, after a year of pretty heavy use.

So I suspect it is the Fleas and Flukes that have a design overlaid on the soundboard - like the various Tiki King designs - that are prone to slight fading. Just a guess.

I have a lava Flea. After playing it for a few months, I wore a couple of shiny spots on the normally matte finish. I really didn't care for the look so I just shined up the rest of the top to match.

Yep I have seen this happen to two Fleas - mine and a friends - shiny spots, then occasional wear through. I dont mind - my Flea is cool!

Aloha Big-Fred,
MY suggestion is to put some protection on it, such as guitar polish or stronger auto polish...I use New Finish auto polish.
Just like a car, it protects the finish...I usually put about 3coats on the for the first time, just to build up the protection.
then once in awhile, depending how much I use the uke...and wipe it down after every use...I hope this helps!! Good Luck!
MM Stan.....

My mango Fluke is faded a tad but no problem she is aging gracefully and just as beautiful as day one to my eyes. ;)

Aloha Big-Fred,
MY suggestion is to put some protection on it, such as guitar polish or stronger auto polish...I use New Finish auto polish.
Just like a car, it protects the finish...I usually put about 3coats on the for the first time, just to build up the protection.
then once in awhile, depending how much I use the uke...and wipe it down after every use...I hope this helps!! Good Luck!
MM Stan.....

Like Big Fred, my dear "Beach Scene" fluke has had too much lovin and is also fading very noticably. I'm with Ahnko: the girl on the surfboard is still pretty as a postcard but she's ageing prematurely! My ol' fluke is no longer mint but hey, neither am I after nearly 40 years.... Thanks for the suggestion Stan.

Top Bottom