Can't find a book that teaches songs using chords and notes.

Boomer

Reaction score
I have been learning using two books (and I really like them both):

1) Mel Bay's First lessons Ukulele by Jerry Moore. Everything is taught using chords.

2) Hal Leonrad's Ukulele Method Book 1 by Lil' Rev. Everything is taught using notes.

So, what I'm saying is that the songs each book teaches is either using chords or notes, but not both. I'd like to find a book or something that will teach me songs where you play both chords and notes. After Aldrine's last free lesson where he taught a song where he played chords and picked notes got me to thinking about it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Herb Ohta Jr. and Daniel Ho's books "Discovering the 'Ukulele" and "Exploring the 'Ukulele". There isn't really any instruction for the songs, but there is tab and standard notation. Plus they just added MP3s of the songs to their sites.

Man! We must be on the same wave length. I just downloaded the MP3s, and trying to find the book. It's out of stock at Amazon. I listend to the "Discovering the Ukulele" tracks and the songs sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Any other books similar to these that you all know of?

I think Jim Belof's Ohta-san and Lyle Ritz books have a similar style. I know it has chords and the melody for sure. You might need to figure out how to add chords in the gaps, but it should be another option.

If you like older songs, try the Fake Book in 'C', the big $50 one if it has the songs you know and like.

You'll need to provide your own memory of the tunes, unless you can read the melody line.

Keep uke'in',

howdy Boomer.

A book I have also found very helpful is "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps" which has a comprehensive look at chords, as well as fingerpicked chord solos, chord progressions and scales.

It's definately a bit mindbending at first, but well worth the effort to get into. I imagine it will be a lifelong resource, and a good one to have in your collection.

cheers mate. eugene

Top Bottom