Fast strumming

Helms

Reaction score
Hey there.
I've been playing Uke for a little over a month now.
Due to some years of guitar I'm learning the uke fast and haven't had much trouble playing any songs yet.
2 days ago, I found an excellent tab for While My Guitar Gently Weeps and decided to give it a go.
I was surprised how easy the song actually was, since I've always thought it to be very hard.

However, I've reached the point where Jack does that crazy fast strumming, and I have quite a few problems nailing it in the right speed.

Is there any easy way to improve the speed of strumming, or do I simply have to keep trying to stram fast and over time learn the technique?

*Jake*

Anyway, if you're talking about the fast strummy fan technique, it takes time to learn. Aldrine gave some good advice during a recent live lesson. You have to pretend that your turning a door knob back and forth really quickly. Keep your index finger at a 90 degree angle too. At least that's what Dominator said he does.

Oh yeah, Jake of course. My mind must've been somewhere else when I wrote this.
And thanks. I'll try your advice! Do you know if there is some sort of tutorial on YouTube? Haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks!
Guess I know what to do for the next couple of days now :)

I have been trying to figure out how Taimane Gardner does her fast strumming on a lot of her songs but its hard to tell because her hands are a blur but it appears that she anchors her middle and ring finger to the sound board and i think she is using a pick that she keeps stashed between the nut and tunners but it is hard to tell.
I would like to integrate this into my music if I only knew how
here is an example of the type of struming I am talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNkeJWpKRGw&sns=em
how is this done?

Last edited:
... Taimane Gardner ... i think she is using a pick that she keeps stashed between the nut and tuners but it is hard to tell.

She uses a thumb pick - used a lot in bluegrass & banjo picking. I caught that in a couple of her videos as well - wondered what that was hooked over the strings on the headstock until I saw her reach up and put it on in one of the videos on YouTube. I'm pretty sure that the pick alone won't help me get anywhere CLOSE to her skill level & raw talent!

Last edited:
A thumb pick huh? I will have to google that for sure . I don't expect to match her talent but I must try :)

dont laugh but I actualy cut up a body filler applicator paddle trying to make a custom pick LOL
I will never be cute or young Like Taimane however their is a 20% chance I might become a good uke player one day :)
I will go to our local music store tonight and check out da thumb picks

dont laugh but I actualy cut up a body filler applicator paddle trying to make a custom pick LOL
I will never be cute or young Like Taimane however their is a 20% chance I might become a good uke player one day :)
I will go to our local music store tonight and check out da thumb picks

No laughing about making one from what you have - when you need/want a pick, just about anything will do (match books, corners cut from playing cards...) . But one thing for sure, when we are talking about players like Jake or Tamaine or even Aldrine who have been playing since they were young children, it will take a fair bit of "catch-up" for some of us to even be close! But like you, brother, I'm trying!

Top Bottom