Anuenue ukes

ichadwick

Reaction score
I'm curious about this brand. There doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter about their ukes on the forum and no reviews yet.

Anyone have one and can comment on sound, build quality, etc? Tenor or bariton comments preferred.

I so wish that Gerald Ross model came in a concert or even better, a soprano.
I have the aNueNue Papa 1 Mahogany Long Neck (the review there on Amazon is mine). I think it's pretty damn fantastic. As far as laminates go, tell ya whut, now that I got me a second-hand Kiwaya KS-1, I feel better equipped to say, aNueNue also know what they're doing.

My "Papa" happens to be the uke I fell asleep with on the couch last night. Love that uke. I think it's one of my better ukes. I would definitely get another of theirs in the future and look forward to more models. Hmmm. Don't think I've sent them my inevitable "hey why don't you offer an electric in lefty" email yet.

Sambient, good detailed review. Sounds like a nice uke for the price. Those petroglyphs bug me, though.

Concert review by Manitoba Hal.

My friend has a Khaya Concert and it is pretty sweet. Sounds really good. I was actually kinda surprised. When she said that she got an Anuenue, I was like what brand is that!? I took it back after playing it. There isn't a lot of bling but it is still pretty nice, sounds nice, and projects really well.

The Re-entrants (my duo) have been lucky enough to get signature model ukes (they are brand new so not on their website yet). I've posted a couple of videos in this thread

Obviously I'm biased, but of course we wouldn't have wanted signature models if we didn't like them! Ours are based around the Oahu Koa model ukes, mine is a concert, Ian's is a Soprano. Ours have black binding, rosette,headstock facing and tuners, with the band logo inlaid on the headstock and our respective signatures inlaid into the top, above the soundhole, and Fishman passive undersaddle pickups.

We've found them to be very well made (the production models too, not just ours), nice players with very slim necks and typical 'koa sound'. It's awkward, and oviously I would expect people to think 'he's got to say that' but we were honestly very impressed with them at a couple of trade shows, which then lead us onto the signature models.

They are not that common in the UK at the moment, but as they share a sidtributor with Kala, they'll start popping up all over soon, and of course shops who stock Kala should be able to order them in.

The Re-entrants (my duo) have been lucky enough to get signature model ukes (they are brand new so not on their website yet). I've posted a couple of videos in this thread

Obviously I'm biased, but of course we wouldn't have wanted signature models if we didn't like them! Ours are based around the Oahu Koa model ukes, mine is a concert, Ian's is a Soprano. Ours have black binding, rosette,headstock facing and tuners, with the band logo inlaid on the headstock and our respective signatures inlaid into the top, above the soundhole, and Fishman passive undersaddle pickups.

We've found them to be very well made (the production models too, not just ours), nice players with very slim necks and typical 'koa sound'. It's awkward, and oviously I would expect people to think 'he's got to say that' but we were honestly very impressed with them at a couple of trade shows, which then lead us onto the signature models.

They are not that common in the UK at the moment, but as they share a sidtributor with Kala, they'll start popping up all over soon, and of course shops who stock Kala should be able to order them in.

Phil, I meant to congratulate you on the signature models. That is really great. You and Ian have a good act and I hope to see more good things coming from you guys.

I've had the aNueNue Lani I long neck soprano for a couple of months now. Great uke for the price. Good sound and playability Impressive workmanship. Well worth it in that price range.

I tried a couple of Anuenue ukes recently. Nice! I think one was a solid and the other might have been a laminate. Usuall, you can hear a big difference between the two.

Can anyone comment on whether the laminates are "hyper-thin" like Kiwayas? If so, that would be great. I could use a new uke to take to school, something that can handle Vermont winters and being around kids.

Seems they are well respected, but how does the sound compare with other similarly priced models? Anyone ever tried the mango tenor? Looks to me like a very different cut of the wood than I have on either my Pono or Maqinland mango ukes.

Can anyone comment on whether the laminates are "hyper-thin" like Kiwayas? If so, that would be great. I could use a new uke to take to school, something that can handle Vermont winters and being around kids.

It's not quite as thin as the Kiwaya, but pretty close. I had to find one of my solid wood ukes that didn't have pretty binding on it in order to do an educated comparison to a solid wood instrument. Pretty similar depth on each of these. And definitely thinner than my sweetheart vintage Harmony.
I can't tell you why, but I am more drawn to my aNueNue than to the Kiwaya. Could just be my inevitable rooting for the underdog since Kiwayas are more highly regarded.
They've different enough that I can't say that one is better than the other. My Kiwaya is true soprano and has a more bell-like tone. My aNueNue is super-soprano, and has a more balanced tone.

Top Bottom