Autographing Ukes

Mandarb

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that Jake will be performing at a venue close to my home in October. I am thinking about asking him to autograph my Lanikai LU-21T which has a satin finish. I have read some other threads on the topic that discussed the fact that sharpies can run and/or fade. I am looking for additional thoughts on what type of pen I should have him use and what type of spray-on lacquer I should use to help protect the autograph. Thank you in advance for any thought and tips.

I have heard paint markers work well. If I remember correctly, ones with non-water bases work the best for clear coating over.

Aloha Mandarb,
I had mentioned in another post an alternative idea.....Get Jakes signature on a piece of paper and take
it to a printer that does decals and ask them to make one out of his signatures...maybe two or three(chearper)
Decals have known to stand the test of time and fading...look at Kamaka's and Martin decals fromthe thirties
and earlier..also their used on surfboards...and their in the sun with no fading...
And that way you'll have a original Jake's signature to frame and decals on your one or more ukes..
I hope this helps...Good Luck!! MM Stan...

I have heard paint markers work well. If I remember correctly, ones with non-water bases work the best for clear coating over.

Cool - thanks. Thank you also for letting me know he was coming to town. I got my tickets last week. I am excited - second row about center stage.

Aloha Mandarb,
I had mentioned in another post an alternative idea.....Get Jakes signature on a piece of paper and take
it to a printer that does decals and ask them to make one out of his signatures...maybe two or three(chearper)
Decals have known to stand the test of time and fading...look at Kamaka's and Martin decals fromthe thirties
and earlier..also their used on surfboards...and their in the sun with no fading...
And that way you'll have a original Jake's signature to frame and decals on your one or more ukes..
I hope this helps...Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Thanks mm stan - I remember that suggestion (now that you reminded me about it). We have a couple of local decal companies. Not sure yet which route I want to take.

Last edited:
my uke is on an adventure right now traveling 6000 miles to be autographed using the method I described
im not afraid of the pen or the clear coat Im afraid of the mail handlers

I have clear coated over sharpie with the same cheap home depot clear I mentioned earlyer with great success here's how you do it just dust on a very very light coat of clear and walk away I know the temptation is to lay down a nice shiney coat but don't do it what will happen is the sharpie ink will run and ruin it.
If you dust on a very light coat the clear will dry before the sharpie ink has a chance to run so it is a plus if the can is marked fast drying.
It's always smart to try it on a test piece first

To illustrate the effect of clear coat sprayed on heavy over sharpie I will show you a mistake I made that ended up giving me an interesting result . I carved a cane and I colored the black background with a sharpie marker I had all day to do this so I took the sharpie and started coloring rows until the whole area I wanted colored was now pure black then I sprayed the whole thing with clear coat here is what happened
b1e6d64a.jpg

when you use a sharpie the center of the pen makes the hardest contact with the wood thus leaves the thinest coat of ink then when the clear goes on it washes away the the ink that is the thinest and leaves a faux wood grain finish

To summerize make sure the area to be clear coated is flat level and just dust on a lite coat then keep it out of sunlight

I have this question, If you get your most played prized ukulele signed, and after that you have to baby it ...what's the sense...You're not getting full enjoyment out of it as before worrying how
to protect the signature....why not get it on a cheap uke, unless your planning to sell it with hopes the signature bring extra moolah.

I'm picking up a cheap uke that will be a wall hanger. I'm more concerned about the signature rubbing off if I ever get the idea in my head to actually dust something.

Paint markers work for me.

I am bucking this whole school of thought
I am having my most expensive prized uke Sceptre autographed by artists I really admire the reason I am using my most prized uke is it shows the artists how much I value their autograph. once I get the uke back it will be my main player because thats why I bought it was to play it. also I have pre tested my paint pen and clear coat method for durability first .will it be for sale? eventualy im sure it will pop up for sale after I die
who do I want to sign it
1. Taimane Gardner ........ in the works now
2. Jake ......................... hopefuly when he comes to the kravits center here in fl. early next year
3. Aldriene ..................... I havent had any responce from him yet but the uke is headed for hawaii it sure would be cool if he could sign it while its there ... if not eventualy I will find a way
thanks

I have this question, If you get your most played prized ukulele signed, and after that you have to baby it ...what's the sense...You're not getting full enjoyment out of it as before worrying how
to protect the signature....why not get it on a cheap uke, unless your planning to sell it with hopes the signature bring extra moolah.

Yeah, that is why I plan on getting my Lanikai LU-21T signed and not my Mainland. I am not saying I do not like my Lanikai - I think it is a great uke. I do not plan on selling it after it is signed - I am just looking for the best way to get it signed and then protect the signature.

Last edited:
I have an "industrial strength" Sharpie (actually made for industrial use) that will write on anything, will not fade, and will last through things like chemical scrubs. It's nearly impossible to remove the marks it makes. You could look in to something like that.

Top Bottom