Creating your own chords+lyrics sheet?

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've gotten into jazz standards a lot and I want to create my own, but with the chord fingering + chord name displayed above the words. What application would be ideal for this? Ideally the chord shape should be like the ones you get after plugging in chords into http://tabtransposer.com/.

Thanks a lot!

I've recently found and had success with an application and set of font files called Chordette that I believe I found out about here on this site. Kind of strange to work with at first but if you open the application and find the chord you want it will tell you the font file and keystroke to use when using the fonts in your word processor to get a specific chord grid. It will give your charts a similar look to Dr.Uke's if you are familiar with his work.

erniej

I go to chordie.com and download their chord shapes as graphics files and then just copy and paste them in. Works for me - you just got to find a song with the chords you need, but you can use the search to find them by just typing them in.

Copying and pasting it would be a pain, no? Moreover, I'd want jazz chords, which Chordie might not display properly.

I use Sibelius. You can make any chord diagram you want. But it's a wee bit spendy.

JJ

I use open office and those chord sheets I posted up. A little bit of cut and paste and voila!

I've recently found and had success with an application and set of font files called Chordette that I believe I found out about here on this site. Kind of strange to work with at first but if you open the application and find the chord you want it will tell you the font file and keystroke to use when using the fonts in your word processor to get a specific chord grid. It will give your charts a similar look to Dr.Uke's if you are familiar with his work.

erniej

Chordette works fine running in wine on my Linux system. You just need to copy the font files (.otf) to your /home/user_name/.fonts directory and then restart your desktop.

I'm using the mac version of Chordette. It works well just initially a little tricky to figure out how to find the chord you want.

I've struggled with the same problem. Finding chords that exist is no problem. It's the ones I can't find or have to make up myself. Yesterday I downloaded a trial version of ChordAlechemy (tonalalchemy.com) and it works great with a function called chord finder where you put in the fingering you're using and it finds all kinds of off the wall names. Then you can edit it's appearance and save as a jpg file then copy and paste into a word document over the lyrics. You can try it free with full functionality for 7 days then the cost is only $15. Works with guitars, mandos, banjo's ukes (any tuning you want) and many other instruments. I've only been using it for a day, but it seems to be just the ticket!!

Top Bottom