Plastic fretboards?

haole

Reaction score
I have the ubiquitous Harmony soprano from the late 50s - early 60s that has been a constant project. The original plastic fretboard has worn frets and some cracks around the screws, and I'm looking to replace it without spending a whole lot of money (the whole uke was $30!). Does anyone know of a good source for a replacement fretboard that'll fit one of these? Or am I better off just ordering the cheap wooden one from Grizzly and making it fit? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure it would be probally cheaper than ordering one of those flea plastic fretboards..but not sure on quality wise...Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:
Any change in scale length with a new fretboard would mean you have to move the bridge too to play in tune. Scale length = twice the distance from the nut to the center of the 12th fret.
Trouble is most manfacturers are not too accurate with their advertized scale lengths. They round up or down to some convenient measurement or claim some standard scale length...but its not quite right.
You'd have to order a fretboard and see if it is the same. Maybe it would be better to cut your own fretboard using the old one as a guide.

Top Bottom