Makala Dolphin - change out tuners

Gmoney

Reaction score
So, I know I'm crazy, but... my new Candy Red Makala Dolphin w/the Aquila's (thanks Uke Republic!) sounds great except for the fact that the tuners seem to be just about the cheapest component of this little red jewel! So, I want to upgrade the tuners. I may even go for friction tuners now that i'm getting used to them on my KoAloha Soprano. Even changed out the geared for friction on the Kala Travel uke already too.

I'm thinking maybe getting either Grover Sta-Tite geared or friction tuners to replace what seems to be constantly slipping cheap tuners. The Aquila's seem to be stretched in pretty good, it just feels like the gears are slipping rather than strings stretching.

Now obviously, putting $50 tuners on a < $50 uke seems, well, crazy, but its either that or just play the KoAloha all the time - which isn't hard to do but hardly seems fair to the other ukes!

Anybody upgraded the stock tuners on their Makala's?

I got my mahalo friction tuners to work by tightening down on the screws real good.

Before, I couldn't get the friction tuners to work on my Mahalos but now they work great.

I have seen a youtube video where some lady couldn't get her geared tuners to work. Certainly, there has to be a fix to gear tuners.

I work with threaded connections and I'm thinking maybe you should try to see if you can put teflon tape in the thread gap. Maybe try 2 or 3 wraps.

tuners

So, I know I'm crazy, but... my new Candy Red Makala Dolphin w/the Aquila's (thanks Uke Republic!) sounds great except for the fact that the tuners seem to be just about the cheapest component of this little red jewel! So, I want to upgrade the tuners. I may even go for friction tuners now that i'm getting used to them on my KoAloha Soprano. Even changed out the geared for friction on the Kala Travel uke already too.

I'm thinking maybe getting either Grover Sta-Tite geared or friction tuners to replace what seems to be constantly slipping cheap tuners. The Aquila's seem to be stretched in pretty good, it just feels like the gears are slipping rather than strings stretching.

Now obviously, putting $50 tuners on a < $50 uke seems, well, crazy, but its either that or just play the KoAloha all the time - which isn't hard to do but hardly seems fair to the other ukes!

Anybody upgraded the stock tuners on their Makala's?

Aloha GMoney,
No I don't think it's crazy if you enjoy your uke and the only thing is the tuners are slipping.
Naturally you know, you're not going to get you money back if you sell it but if it's worth the
enjoyment, I'd say do it...my cheap uke is my favorite....MM Stan..

I am starting to think we need a club of Cheap Charlie Chunkers who appreciate any surprise ukes that cost less than $50.

Stewart - MacDonald sells a set of Grover Sta-Tite geared tuners that would work well on a Dolphin for $12.36. I've used them and they work very well.

yeah, the grovers from stu-mac have served me well on many ukes.

I would avoid moving to friction just because the empty screw holes and leftover geared tuner impressions in the wood would bother me too much.

Anyone know how much needs to be done to replace the stock dolphin tuners with the above mentioned Stew Mac grover tuners? Did it require drilling or were they pretty much a drop in replacement?

Thanks

Mike K

The Stew-mac Grovers should work fine - as to the "problem" of friction tuners leaving "unsightly" holes - it IS a Dolphin after all! I never replace mine after all....

I bought some "surplus" friction tuners off eBAY last year that HoosierHiver was selling. They were new, so I surmise they were probably just removed from Mainland ukes that were upgraded, or had the tuner colors changed etc. I got a whole bag of them for a pennance. I sold some I wasn't going to use at cost to other SEUkers, like JoeUke. You might contact Mike at Mainland to see if he has any more.

Last edited:
Go for inexpensive friction tuner! I'm gonna do the same thing! I don't care about the holes either!

I'd just be concerned that better geared tuners would make a dolphin top heavy.

Go for inexpensive friction tuner! I'm gonna do the same thing! I don't care about the holes either!

I'd just be concerned that better geared tuners would make a dolphin top heavy.

I second this. I put cheap (well, someone gave them to me, but they're low-end tuners) friction tuners on my Dolphin because my left hand hits geared tuners on sopranos when I play G, Gdim, etc. It balanced the uke better to put them on too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom