Need Help Buying A Uke

Uke93

Reaction score
Hi,
I have decided to get into playing the ukulele so need advice on what one to buy. Im from the UK so £85 is my budget. I have decided to go for a concert size and stuck between two brands. What one is better?

Ashbury AU-60
Or
Lanikai LU21C

Whats your honest opinions on them, this is my first Uke so be nice ;)

I know nothing about Ashbury, but I have a Lanikai tenor that I totally love.
I'd advise staying cheap for your first uke. If you stick with the instrument, you can keep this one as a beater if and when you upgrade, or sell it for just about what you paid for it, assuming you keep it in mint condition.
Once you've played for a while, you'll have a better idea of what you want in an instrument and can make a better decision if and when you decide to shell out more $$...(sorry, I don't have a pounds sign)

thanks guys, any more opinions.........

I agree with what Brewerpaul said, I got a used LU-21C a while back and initially wasn't to impressed with it untill I realized the old GHS strings on it were worn out. I put a new set of Aguila's on it and now it's my favorite take anywhere uke. The Lanikai's at this price point are well made nice playing ukes and I don't think you'll be disapointed with one.

I bought the LU-21C last Christmas as my very first ukulele. I have never played an instrument before and did not want to invest a lot of $$$ in something I might not stick with. I have really enjoyed my Lanikai and have not regretted the decision at all. Because of the lower price, I felt more at ease using it as my "learner" ukulele. It has been a wonderful instrument and stays in tune quite well. I have logged a lot of hours on it and have not yet changed the strings and it still sounds good.

Almost nine months later I am finally ready to pull the plug on a new ukulele. I am leaning towards the MainLand, but I am sure I will keep my trusted Lanikai by my side.

Best of luck in your new uke venture. I will tell you that getting into playing the uke has been one of the best decisions I have made. It has brought me countless hours of joy and fun. You will not regret the decision. Plus, you have already found the best place for help and to hang out ;) - UU

- Jack

Aloha Uke93,
The best advice that I can give you is, buy the best ukulele that you can comfortably afford, In the long run it'll save you on
many upgrades and you won't have alot of cheap uke lyinig around in the future. It's hard to part with them
since you've gained accustomed to them, besides if were to try and sell them you would almost get nothing for them.
Another reason is , you'll probally learn faster because it's more comfortable, playable, and it sounds better...
One last suggestion, while you're at it, pick up a digital chromatic clip on tuner, it will be the best decision you've ever
made....it's fast and accurate...Good Luck!! MM Stan
P.S. Make sure to go and try them out before buying...everyone preferences are different......go for what sounds good
to you..since that's all that matters...

Concerts. I find I prefer concerts to sopranos.

I have a fair number of both but concerts seem to be easier on my fingers. I practice on concerts

I like small sopranos to actually play songs I feel comfortable enough. Sopranos aren't what I practice on, its what I'lll play for showtime

If its down to those two, go Lanikai definitely. If you can squeeze the cash a little, look at solid top Kalas or Ohanas, or perhaps something used?

I started on same road - went from Mahalo (rubbish) to Lanikai soprano, to Flea - now have several others as well, but it was the purchase of the Flea that really was my turning point.

Top Bottom